CrazyBoards.org

So I got a copy of my resent medical records at my therapist office  I've been at for a year now an I apparently they pinned me as bipolar after  2 months which I found kinda interesting  when did you guys find out about your diagnoses an also should I get a second opinion just to be sure

Edited by sweetlysinister

I found out verbally during my first session with a psychiatrist that I'd gone to for extreme depression. But I found out I had something called MAD (something about anxiety related to depression?) just by looking at my notes in the patient portal of another doctor once. It had never been mentioned to me. And I'd never heard of MAD. 

If you feel you need a second opinion then you are entitled to one, however what symptoms do you have? Do you feel your symptoms make sense with the diagnosis?

My doctor told me bipolar as soon a she diagnosed me. But I found out she meant type 1 when she wrote an order for a blood test which included a dsm dx on it. I was really taken aback as she had previously told me BP2.

Edited by aura

3 hours ago, 2Spirals said:

I found out verbally during my first session with a psychiatrist that I'd gone to for extreme depression. But I found out I had something called MAD (something about anxiety related to depression?) just by looking at my notes in the patient portal of another doctor once. It had never been mentioned to me. And I'd never heard of MAD. 

If you feel you need a second opinion then you are entitled to one, however what symptoms do you have? Do you feel your symptoms make sense with the diagnosis?

I feel like it does make sense but I also have borderline which kinda mimics some symptoms of bi polar type 2 but the reason why I feel kinda at peace with the. Bipolar diagonise is because when I took medication it basically changed my life I helped so much it was crazy an it makes me think I have a chemical imbalance   

My first pdoc at my university told me that he thought I was bipolar at my very first visit after I recounted my ups and downs over the past year to him. Since then I have had one pdoc who was not sure if I was bipolar 1 or bipolar 2 (I am pretty sure he would have definitively diagnosed me as bipolar 1 had I fully recounted my high episodes at the time, which were very intense at times but which did not feel to me like what I heard mania was like) and another who diagnosed me as bipolar 1 (but I doubted him because he was basing it in part due to being highly resistant to the effects of mood stabilizers rather than actually seeing me manic combined with that I did not have insight into my paranoia at the time) and later implied that I might be SZA after I finally told him about my paranoia (because my paranoia was not limited to high mood, even though in retrospect in high mood the higher my mood the more intense my paranoia).

In the end I have never gotten a straight unequivocable answer aside from that I am some flavor of bipolar or possibly SZA. Either I am bipolar 1, but my manias do not involve anything like major overspending, hypersexuality, otherwise markedly odd behavior (for the most part), loss of situational awareness, or like, or I am bipolar 2, but my hypomanias can get more intense than what is usually denoted by hypomania and may include marked paranoia.

Edited by Closure

I asked my Insurance company for the DSM code and then looked it up.  At my next Pdoc appt I asked.  He said bipolar NOS. He said he used the NOS because it gives him more options for treatment.  Sort of a fuzzy DX. My symptoms are sorta all over the place between 1 and 2.  So I guess it fits.  

No need for a second opinion, the shoe fit. 

If your concerned that it doesn't feel right then by all means get a second opinion. 

Edited by dragonfly23

7 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

IMO, I would focus on treating the symptoms instead of looking at the diagnosis.

Of course. The reason why I have in the past cared about the dx is bipolar 1 implies one can enter orbit, while bipolar 2 does not. So if I am bipolar 2, I do not have to worry about getting too high, and the highest I have gotten is probably as far as I can go - whereas if I am bipolar 1, I could get higher still than I have gotten (as at the time of my highest mood I was on mood stabilizers at the time).

Of course this logic makes no sense, as the dx comes from the symptoms rather than vice versa. But that is how I was thinking.

Edited by Closure

43 minutes ago, Closure said:

Of course. The reason why I have in the past cared about the dx is bipolar 1 implies one can enter orbit, while bipolar 2 does not. So if I am bipolar 2, I do not have to worry about getting too high, and the highest I have gotten is probably as far as I can go - whereas if I am bipolar 1, I could get higher still than I have gotten (as at the time of my highest mood I was on mood stabilizers at the time).

Of course this logic makes no sense, as the dx comes from the symptoms rather than vice versa. But that is how I was thinking.

I think even if you have bipolar 2, there's always the possibility of having a full manic episode (I think it's like 15% or something? did I make that statistic up?). This coming from personal experience. My symptoms fit BP2 for more than a decade before I had a clear-cut psychotic manic episode.

2 hours ago, aura said:

I think even if you have bipolar 2, there's always the possibility of having a full manic episode (I think it's like 15% or something? did I make that statistic up?). This coming from personal experience. My symptoms fit BP2 for more than a decade before I had a clear-cut psychotic manic episode.

? We can have mania that's crazy I did not know that no pun intended an the only reason why I kinda wanting  a second opinion is cause no one but this care team suggested bipolar then again I have seen them for a year which is the longest I've had an np and therapist so maybe I'm  just either one having trouble accepting my MI or I'm over thinking things 

I had been told I was probably bipolar after my response to antidepressants (hello, manic suicide attempt and involuntary hospitalization). However, I was hospitalized for fully fledged mania. The first time I met with the psychiatrist, she told me I was fully manic and that meant bp1. Other doctors on the ward said I was the clearest bp1 diagnosis they'd ever seen. They were always upfront with me.

On the other hand, my borderline diagnosis... no one ever told me to my face. I saw confidential medical files that were never intended for my eyes. My current doctor has scrapped that diagnosis and has even said that I'm cluster C. He also thinks I'm schizoaffective, but I disagree.

I do think symptoms are more important than diagnoses though. Mental illness labels are artificial constructions, but as for symptoms? They're realer than many people will ever know.

11 hours ago, sweetlysinister said:

? We can have mania that's crazy I did not know that no pun intended an the only reason why I kinda wanting  a second opinion is cause no one but this care team suggested bipolar then again I have seen them for a year which is the longest I've had an np and therapist so maybe I'm  just either one having trouble accepting my MI or I'm over thinking things 

If someone with BP2 has a manic episode the DX becomes BP1. I'm just saying some people (like me) start out BP2 and eventually have a manic episode.

5 hours ago, 2Spirals said:

Yeah someone said worry less about the diagnosis and more about treating the symptoms... it is always a 'relief' factor to put a name to the problem of course, I do agree... but it is best to make sure you get the symptoms under control before anything else. 

That's what one therapist told me mostly the labels are for the insurance companies an doctors focus on the symptoms themselves I just I don't know I want to make sure that I'm suppose to be on all these meds for my bipolar like I said before maybe I'm just over analyzing everything but like I said before  my meds saved my life it was like night an day the difference  in emotional health I could still feel but not like so extrem like if I was upset I'd have a panic attack or cry an be sad for a while  or my flying of the handle anger I'm not that extreme anymore