CrazyBoards.org

My PDoc Says Quit Seroquel Cold Turkey

Pretty much that. I am on 400mg of XR in the evening and 100mg at bedtime. I am also taking a low dose (40mg) of Prozac and 100mg Wellbutrin, if that matters. I have been on the Seroquel for just under a year and complained to him of weight gain, which is why he is taking me off it. But is quitting cold turkey really a good idea?

If it was me I'd insist on weaning off it. When I was taken off Ability cold turkey and just begun up the titration of Seroquel the next day, yeah, that just sucked so bad, words fail me, but I had a 9 day migraine. Should have gone to the ER. No, I'd definitely wean down...That's just my experience, but I know others who've had things suck when coming off AAP's.

I've gone off cold turkey and slowly, both times at the direction of my pdoc.  Both sucked.  Like, for months sucked.  I found going off slow just delayed the discontinuation/withdrawal symptoms, didn't stop it.  But that may just be my experience.  Going off cold turkey does increase the risk for psych rebound symptoms.

I have attempted to wean down.  Not via doctor order, under my order (yes i know, stupid stupid) I take 700IR at night.  I got down to about 500 and could not take it and started the full dose again.  

I would think either cold turkey or slowly may be challenging.  Maybe talk to your Pdoc about your concerns.  

I've weaned off Latuda, which is obviously not the same thing, but I still didn't feel that great. Still, it didn't last months and months for me. You'll find everyone is different, and there are all kinds of combinations of meds that work for each of them. Some people can quit cold turkey, and not even feel bad.

• 4 weeks later...

So, fun update on this. I debated a bit and then went with my pdoc's recommendation and went off the Seroquel cold turkey. My last dose was Wednesday, June 29th. By Saturday July 1st I was feeling pretty rocky. By the 4th I was horribly sick; I couldn't walk without assistance because I was so dizzy, and I was horribly nauseated and intermittently vomiting. I went back to my pdoc on July 7th and reported what was going on; he weighed me and confirmed that I had lost 8 pounds since the previous week. His response to me, though, was that he had never had anyone else report any problems with withdrawing from Seroquel and I probably just had a touch of the flu. He suggested that I pick up some Emetrol to help with the nausea, sip ginger ale, and he would see me next week. I was too sick to argue. Flu, fine, whatever, I want to go back to bed. 

That night I had a complete psychotic break. I went whole hog bananas. Picked a huge fight with my very supportive husband, screamed and yelled, heard voices telling me to run, grabbed a bag and threw some stuff in it and grabbed my dog (thank God I grabbed my dog) and my car keys and bailed. Husband tried to stop me but without physically tackling me that wasn't happening. I got on the road and decided I was going to kill myself. But dog. I couldn't kill the poor dog, he hadn't done anything. Humane society was closed, couldn't take him there. OK, I'd go to the hospital. But dog. I couldn't go to the hospital, they wouldn't take the dog. OK, I went to my mom's (empty) house, went in and curled up upstairs and cried me a river. Meantime my husband had called out all but the National Guard, and about an hour later my sister thought to come and open the garage at Mom's and presto, my car and I were there.

Cops were talked out of Baker Acting me because I was calmer by then and family was with me, thank god. Sister calls my therapist who gets up in the middle of the night and is going straight to heaven without even passing go when her time comes. Sister and therapist talk me down over the course of a few hours and I agree to self-admit to the behavioral health hospital, and do so. I spend a few days inpatient and was so glad to be there it was ridiculous, it was like I felt so safe and I was so glad to be there and they put me back on Seroquel and I am now on long-term intensive outpatient (HOME! SAFE PLACE!) while they wean me slowly off and keep eyes-on to make sure everything is copacetic during the process.  

Meanwhile? My pdoc?  During all the fun they kept trying and trying to call my pdoc for help and advice. Guess what?? He's on a deep sea fishing trip and there is no one on call! Take me to the ER, his service says!.Yeah. Seriously. Funny thing? Every doctor I've seen since, medical or psych -- and I've seen a metric fuckton during this process -- gets very quiet and still when I get to the "and he told me to go off the Seroquel cold turkey". They say, "And you were taking how much? And for how long?" and they do this very still and quiet thing. And then they very, very calmly say some variation of, "When you are done here, I would be more than happy to recommend the name of a local psychiatrist ..." LOL. I just bet you would, and you can bet I'll be taking those names. 

tl;dr - DON'T GO OFF SEROQUEL COLD TURKEY. DON'T. JUST DON'T. 

2 hours ago, LaniW said:

So, fun update on this. I debated a bit and then went with my pdoc's recommendation and went off the Seroquel cold turkey. My last dose was Wednesday, June 29th. By Saturday July 1st I was feeling pretty rocky. By the 4th I was horribly sick; I couldn't walk without assistance because I was so dizzy, and I was horribly nauseated and intermittently vomiting. I went back to my pdoc on July 7th and reported what was going on; he weighed me and confirmed that I had lost 8 pounds since the previous week. His response to me, though, was that he had never had anyone else report any problems with withdrawing from Seroquel and I probably just had a touch of the flu. He suggested that I pick up some Emetrol to help with the nausea, sip ginger ale, and he would see me next week. I was too sick to argue. Flu, fine, whatever, I want to go back to bed. 

That night I had a complete psychotic break. I went whole hog bananas. Picked a huge fight with my very supportive husband, screamed and yelled, heard voices telling me to run, grabbed a bag and threw some stuff in it and grabbed my dog (thank God I grabbed my dog) and my car keys and bailed. Husband tried to stop me but without physically tackling me that wasn't happening. I got on the road and decided I was going to kill myself. But dog. I couldn't kill the poor dog, he hadn't done anything. Humane society was closed, couldn't take him there. OK, I'd go to the hospital. But dog. I couldn't go to the hospital, they wouldn't take the dog. OK, I went to my mom's (empty) house, went in and curled up upstairs and cried me a river. Meantime my husband had called out all but the National Guard, and about an hour later my sister thought to come and open the garage at Mom's and presto, my car and I were there.

Cops were talked out of Baker Acting me because I was calmer by then and family was with me, thank god. Sister calls my therapist who gets up in the middle of the night and is going straight to heaven without even passing go when her time comes. Sister and therapist talk me down over the course of a few hours and I agree to self-admit to the behavioral health hospital, and do so. I spend a few days inpatient and was so glad to be there it was ridiculous, it was like I felt so safe and I was so glad to be there and they put me back on Seroquel and I am now on long-term intensive outpatient (HOME! SAFE PLACE!) while they wean me slowly off and keep eyes-on to make sure everything is copacetic during the process.  

Meanwhile? My pdoc?  During all the fun they kept trying and trying to call my pdoc for help and advice. Guess what?? He's on a deep sea fishing trip and there is no one on call! Take me to the ER, his service says!.Yeah. Seriously. Funny thing? Every doctor I've seen since, medical or psych -- and I've seen a metric fuckton during this process -- gets very quiet and still when I get to the "and he told me to go off the Seroquel cold turkey". They say, "And you were taking how much? And for how long?" and they do this very still and quiet thing. And then they very, very calmly say some variation of, "When you are done here, I would be more than happy to recommend the name of a local psychiatrist ..." LOL. I just bet you would, and you can bet I'll be taking those names. 

tl;dr - DON'T GO OFF SEROQUEL COLD TURKEY. DON'T. JUST DON'T. 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I laughed so hard reading this only because I've never related to anything so much in my life. It was the "but dog" that really got me. Mine is "but cat". A few moths ago I had a taking-off-in-the-car incident. I was going to go to Florida (I live in Pensylvania). But cat. So, I went to Ocean City, Maryland instead. I was just going to stay there for however many days it took me to read all of the books I packed up in my backpack (I left with a towel, several books, a notebook, and a bunch of energy drinks). But cat. I would've taken him with me, but house cats get too scared to leave, so basically the only reason I came home was because I knew he would miss me. Also, before I went bananas I was calmly sitting on the floor having a conversation with my cat about my feelings. Talking to my cat just before I go completely bonkers is so common that I'm supposed to call someone for help if I find myself doing it. Lol. 

Edited by Lorelion

16 hours ago, LaniW said:

My answer to this would be WTF ... doesn't you pdoc know that everyone is different and has different experiences when going off cold turkey?  I would have thought he would have given you a few pills to help you feel a little better (assuming it wasn't the flu), then wean down slower until you were off.  To me at least it seems like he took it all lightly, and didn't own up to anything.  He was probably just covering his ass.

16 hours ago, LaniW said:

gets very quiet and still when I get to the "and he told me to go off the Seroquel cold turkey". They say, "And you were taking how much? And for how long?" and they do this very still and quiet thing. And then they very, very calmly say some variation of, "When you are done here, I would be more than happy to recommend the name of a local psychiatrist ..." LOL. I just bet you would, and you can bet I'll be taking those names.

Exactly.  Get those names and start calling around, then fire him.

I hope you are doing better now.

I hope you can find someone with better judgment so that you get treatment that is supportive and appropriate.  I haven't heard of someone going from 400mg to 0.  I'm getting ready to go off 400 mg of seroquel while going up on Latuda and my pdoc said we were going to try a "slightly fast descent" that would be by 100mg increments, unless I couldn't tolerate it and we would switch to 50mgs.  

Even if there was a reason for your pdoc to think it was appropriate initially (I guess maybe if you'd gone off other drugs quickly without a problem?), it seems like the reason vanished when you weren't doing well and got the so called flu.  That's the point that stands out to me as being the absolute worst judgment call, though the original doesn't make much sense either.