CrazyBoards.org

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Gearhead said:

But nothing is a given. I'm allergic to lavender! People tend to think that "natural" = "harmless" but that is by no means a given.

Definitely. I saw a hilarious ad a few months ago claiming that because something is natural it means it won't have side effects. Just what?! And then the other week I saw a really sad article about a little autistic boy who was rushed to hospital after having really dangerous levels of calcium in his system from these "medicines". One of them was camel's milk. Camel's milk for fuck sake! And the parents are all completely shocked at how something like this could make a person ill. What a world we live in!

20 hours ago, Southern Discomfort said:

Definitely. I saw a hilarious ad a few months ago claiming that because something is natural it means it won't have side effects. Just what?! And then the other week I saw a really sad article about a little autistic boy who was rushed to hospital after having really dangerous levels of calcium in his system from these "medicines". One of them was camel's milk. Camel's milk for fuck sake! And the parents are all completely shocked at how something like this could make a person ill. What a world we live in!

Yeah, supplements are even more risky at times than meds because some of them are so unusual that doctors may not even know about them (e.g. camel's milk or something equally strange).  Doctors aren't going to be able to effectively treat someone suffering side effects if the cause of the substance in question is essentially a pharmacological mystery.  They know what they have learned from studies and their medical training.  If something has only been consumed by a tiny handful of people, good chance it's not in any medical training and there are no studies of it either.  On the contrary, all doctors that are any good will know about all the medications on the market.  I'm not against supplements, just make sure that you are taking something safe and not something that's virtually unknown to science and/or dangerous, if you choose to take supplements.  The only one I saw on this list that I'd ever consider taking myself would be the St. John's Wort, though if I did I'd ask a doctor for more info on it to be 100% sure that there isn't anything dangerous about it that I'm unaware of. 

Edited by Steve223
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, notloki said:

A recent study concluded vitamins were not useful as treatments for specific illnesses and most effective when used to treat vitamin deficiency. 

This was well known for quite some time. I've had a professor and a doctor who said that vitamins just make expensive pee.

1 minute ago, jt07 said:

This was well known for quite some time. I've had a professor and a doctor who said that vitamins just make expensive pee.

For being well known it does not seem to have had much effect on the multimillion dollar supplement business.

2 minutes ago, notloki said:

For being well known it does not seem to have had much effect on the multimillion dollar supplement business.

That's because there is a strong vein of anti-science running through society. Quite a few people want to believe in "natural" cures over what doctors will say is necessary. A lot of people believe advertising hype over peer-reviewed studies.

St John's Wort can be dangerous, it can make birth control less effective, is not supposed to be used with many antidepressants (SSRI's, SNRI's, TCA's, MAOI's IIRC) unless you've been off them for 14 days, etc.. Many sites (drugs.com, webMD, etc) have these warnings about it. There are many more interactions than I listed. Sources are what I found on those websites... do not mix natural with Rx'd unless your pharmacist checks. (Pharmacists will be able to tell you more than a pdoc, as they are trained in only meds, while I've had doctors miss interactions, pharmacists have caught it before dispensing)