CrazyBoards.org

Hesitant to share fear of anonymity

I like having a place to come to talk to like minded people and then I find myself wondering what if someone who knows me in real life is here, I came here to get away from the people I know in real life, they're great they're supportive I love my friends and family but I just don't want to talk to them right now. Sometimes I think I share too much with them and there is nothing worse than it coming back up again later. I just read a post and thought what if that's my ex and he knows this is me lol Not likely I know, I probably don't know anyone here, but it's just an annoying feeling. 

I get that feeling sometimes. What if someone recognizes me? I am pretty open on other social media, but I want to have a place where it is private. I usually am okay. I just feel that way occasionally. I think it would be pretty unusual for someone to recognize you from posts, though. For me, the gains I get from participating are worth it,

Yeah I agree, I know logically the unlikelihood of it. I am open on other social media as well it is nice here that we can say things and never have to talk about them again sometimes I regretted things I've shared with people I actually knew. It's not strong enough to keep me away but strong enough that once in awhile I get the "that sounds like....
 or what if I "accidentally" share on facebook or what if someone recognizes me feeling. 

Just now, melissaw72 said:

Fortunately my picture is not on that thread.  Thanks for posting the link.

Yeah, I'm umming and erring over putting myself on that thread. I've already got a picture of me on the web on another forum under the same name and avatar so it wouldn't be impossible to find me.

30 minutes ago, Southern Discomfort said:

Yeah, I'm umming and erring over putting myself on that thread. I've already got a picture of me on the web on another forum under the same name and avatar so it wouldn't be impossible to find me.

Is there a way to delete your picture/s?  Hopefully no one has down-loaded them to somewhere else.  Not to scare you, just a reality that could/might happen.

7 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Is there a way to delete your picture/s?  Hopefully no one has down-loaded them to somewhere else.  Not to scare you, just a reality that could/might happen.

Yeah there is but you know what? I don't want to be afraid of people in real life knowing what I've got. I'm pretty open about my mental health in real life so why should it matter? I like to think I'm doing my part for breaking down the barriers we face and normalising our conditions.

21 minutes ago, Southern Discomfort said:

Yeah there is but you know what? I don't want to be afraid of people in real life knowing what I've got. I'm pretty open about my mental health in real life so why should it matter? I like to think I'm doing my part for breaking down the barriers we face and normalising our conditions.

That is a great point. 

15 minutes ago, cottonzilla said:

It might have been me who posted that post LOL... yeah I thought of it... but I think lots of it is also my paranoia ...yet slight worry sometimes especially after posting something specific...

(in bold) I think that is a legitimate worry, depending on how specific you get.

All of these facial recognition programs, facebook tagging you (Or rather your friends and family tagging you PLEASE DON'T)  and the collection of tiny bits and bytes so that your cell phone number can be connected to your home number connected to your google+ connected to your facebook.   And now we have cameras at ever intersection tagging everytime a car passes the camera (Someone asked for the raw data and was given it) they wrote an an application to see when and where someone was and it only became an issue when someone used it to track politicians.   Stalking someone?  Sure...  Cell phones that can be turned on by snoopers and can't be turned off by the phone's owner.   *No way to remove the battery and no "real" off switch.

Since this is crazyboards I'm sure this is seen as paranoid but really?   Do you think this is normal and acceptable?  I don't think my current location, what I'm saying while a cell phone is near me or if my face should be in a database so that when a new picture shows up on the web it can be IDed as me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2Spirals said:

Yeah I use the same username for a lot of forums and stuff... I should probably stop using it for other things. I'ts probably google-able. I don't want people to find my personal MI posts... it is only the business of me and my fellow crazyboards people. 

Exactly, me too.  I've written stuff on here (with no name mention, except for mother and father ... that is a lot in itself) that if someone realizes I wrote it (by reading the post) they would not be happy (understatement).

I wrote things that were good also though, so I hope that would balance the negative.

I also get concerned whenever I describe an outside situation, even without identifying details, that someone from my real life will figure things out.  I created a private blog largely so that I could discuss it in more detail, and even then I sometimes get concerned still.

on the username--I believe that you can contact an admin to get yours changed and I think, though don't know for sure, that it changes posts retroactively also, so you could get the whole thing taken care of with one switch.  Maybe worth checking into instead of changing everything else.