CrazyBoards.org

Message board teachings

hey cool gettin' there,

i thought your post was going to be about how the boards had failed you. i guess that when i read the title i thought about some comments i read about how some cb'ers are disappointed with the boards. the reason being, i believe, is that they are greeted by other cb'ers who like to meet and greet people when they come in, the term used in what i read was 'stroking', which gives people an initial nice feeling about the boards which then kind of fades to disappointment when they discover that it isn't usually about instant friends or anything. because frankly, people respond to honesty and courage. and it can be very difficult to be really open here.

so anyway, i can truly say that i am a stroker.

so yeah, cool that you're having a good experience here. different people have different experiences, but your's serves to remind us of what can go right here.

take care,

grouse.

Guest FrannyNZooey

Thank you Kathryn, that was very uplifting.

I agree we do have something to share, and hopefully can reach out farther than here with it.

Look forward to seeing more from you.

Aly

Thank you so much for your responses.  I like positive thoughts.

Add:

I learned about courage.  The courage to switch meds when you don't know what the side effects could be.  The courage to tell your friends and family, not knowing how they will react or will treat you.  The courage to pick up the pieces of your life and move on to a better place.  The courage to not give up when it is two steps forward and one step back.  (sometimes 3, ugh!)

How very true that is!  I have a hard time responding because I don't feel intelligent enough about the subject to give advice.  I have learned and understand alot, but I do not retain information.  Especially not details.  I will make more of an effort to give my opinions, but they will probably be only from the heart and not scientific.

Even as I type a post, the thoughts that originally came to my head do not transfer well to paper/computer.  I can only think a thought once, with perfect meaning and vocab.. but once I try and re-remember or write it, I lose the original context.

Oh well, I can only adapt to my own quirks.  Can't always fix them.

Thanks for reading!

Kathryn

Kathryn:

You know, I think so many of us have been there, had the same problems communicating our thoughts, that we probably have learned how to read between the lines when reading other people's posts. And if we don't understand, we'll ask questions.

So, don't hesitate to post, even if you don't think you can articulate what you want to say very well. There's a good chance we'll understand what you're saying anyway! ;)

Besides, I thought your 1st post here was one of the most eloquent things I'd read. Truly. Please post some more...I look forward to reading what you have to say!

revlow

Kathryn, thanks for taking the time to begin this thread with your thoughts.  I thought it was very intelligent and insightful so please don't think that you have nothing to offer here.  We all do! And we're not just about science-y and drug-y stuff.  We talk about all kinds of things! You're a very important part of our community.

Karen

Ah, Kathryn, don't worry too much about the taking/giving ratio.  Sometimes I just don't have anything useful to say; I write posts but don't post them because I'm feeling crappy and insecure.  OK, so that's pretty rare; when I visit the boards I tend to get all mouthy.  But any support and understanding we can offer each other is highly valued, so just don't be afraid to post, and don't feel bad if people are sometimes abrupt; we are in electronic land, after all, and we all know how thoughtless we can be in emails and posts.  And how cranky we can get if we're not feeling at our best.

Heya Kathryn

Like what NARS said.

Often we all read posts and don't know what we could post back.

And feel bad about not posting back.

The fact is, as I think of it, people are here listening to me whether they answer or not, and whether what I say helps them or not.

So, read things, learn what might help you, talk back when it feels right.

--ncc--

Hi K,

I'm happy you find CB helpful and feel welcome in our community.

I've learned a lot here too. One of the most valuable to me has been that there are resources we can tap, beyond meds and talk therapy, to help us heal. Our meds can only bring us to a place where we can look at ourselves and think, but healing is a heart (body-mind-spirit) approach that could take our whole lives.

I believe that just getting it out, just hearing what others have gone through, just knowing we are not alone or Unique in our problems is enough. Just enough. ;)

i guess that when i read the title i thought about some comments i read about how some cb'ers are disappointed with the boards. the reason being, i believe, is that they are greeted by other cb'ers who like to meet and greet people when they come in, the term used in what i read was 'stroking', which gives people an initial nice feeling about the boards which then kind of fades to disappointment when they discover that it isn't usually about instant friends or anything. because frankly, people respond to honesty and courage. and it can be very difficult to be really open here.

so anyway, i can truly say that i am a stroker.

Grouse,

When I knocked on the door of crazyboards, you opened the door and greeted me warmly. You took my coat and hat, handed me a nice warm cup of cocoa (or was that hot buttered rum?) and led me to a wonderfully candle lit room full of conversation, but let me find a corner chair in which to sit quietly if I wanted.

We don't cross paths often on CB, but I do follow some of your posts. So glad to see you again, and that your avatar is back up.

Archived