CrazyBoards.org

I want to start therapy again. I've been regressing, and I'm at the point where I cannot function except during sporadic, random times. However, there are some things I need to work through, but I don't feel comfortable (and I'm pretty sure I never will) at explaining details or the situation really at all. I'd want to keep things very vague in some areas, but is that even possible if I want to move on and get through this? Do you guys every lie or work through problems in therapy without really defining the problem?

I don't understand. Could you elaborate more on this? I feel like I do know what the problem is, and had years to figure it out, but there are details I don't feel comfortable discussing. I'm pretty sure I finally figured it out, but even to further explore, I there are certain things I don't want to say. I'm uncomfortable about it because of trust issues. These are very serious topics that I don't want on any record. What's already on my record I was advised to not release them (even to my university when I was going through the disability resource center, I was told by the counseling center that they suggested I not release my records). 

Unless the real problem is purely chemical imbalance, but I cannot swallow pills anymore to help with that since I used to abuse them and I now associate any pill with nausea and am not able to hold them down. 

Have you seen a tdoc?  Sometimes talking about things (whatever they may be ... anything), will help you grow in terms of trust issues with that tdoc.  Once there is a trust bond, it might become easier to talk to tdoc about the deeper things that are bothering you.

I know some people have luck with doing just therapy and others just do meds.  But if your having problems functioning?   I would try to figure out some kind of solution to one or the other or both.  I've seen my TDoc for a while now and there are details about things that I've just kept to myself.   I unloaded some stuff (at the last session) that I was worried was too embarrassing but...  TDoc gave me an example of the level things have to get to come close to being TMI to her and I was relieved to hear my stuff wasn't even close.

Maybe that helps?  Its kind of like a nurse seeing your butt.  They have seen it all and they are so unfazed.   Of course I might not be following what your issue is but... Hopefully that helps.

I agree that getting to a level of trust with tdocs can be good. What I did was that, and then handing her a document with the info I wanted her to know. She read it, then I took it back, so it didn't go on record or anything, and I wasn't having to worry abt other ppl seeing it and such.

Whisper

I am really surprised by how helpful all of this is. Hal and Winter, I especially like those ideas, and I get what you are saying with maybe leaving some details to myself that are TMI, but maybe talking about a certain level, after trust is established. Also the writing it down and taking it back so it doesn't go on record sounds great, but I would think they would write some of it down after the session from what they remember.