CrazyBoards.org

Out of control thoughts- just anxiety or voices?

I am 26 years old. I have been suffering from this for the past 2 months. Whenever I am sitting in silence, I get racing "thoughts" about a number of things. These thoughts are in my inner voice, and these are the things I'd think, but they are out of my control. It can be random words popping in my mind, or it can be sentences. It's usually about mundane things. When this is happening, my brain feels very tired, and I kind of zone out. When I come back, I realise that I am having these thoughts, and I put a stop to them. They only happen when I am not thinking anything. When my brain is empty so to speak. I googled and it said that these thoughts could be voices so I got scared. But they are not about anything- just gibberish. I can equate them with the racing thoughts one has when sleeping. Maybe my attitude will change, but right now I view them as the result of a tired and out of control mind. In other words I see them as my thoughts, but ones which are a product of my subconscious. Now I have been to two psychiatrists, a counsellor and three doctors who have told me that this is not schizophrenia. This is quite strange since they all seemed so sure of it. I have walked to three hospitals asking to be committed only to be sent back. This entire thing was exacerbated by my googling things on the net. So I have been told not to do that. But really- would experiencing inner thoughts of this kind point towards schizophrenia? Or can it be anxiety/extreme stress? Looking for nuanced responses rather than doomsday prophecies or panic inducing declarations. I am intrigued to know whether any mental condition apart from psychosis can cause this since the psychiatrists are so sure it's not that.  Now since the psychiatrists have dismissed me as having JUST ANXIETY- could this be a part of it? 

They are not dismissing you. Major anxiety is paralyzing, it's not "just anxiety" - it needs to be taken seriously if you want a better quality of life. If I were in your shoes, I would give the therapist and psychiatrist a chance and see if what they decide to do for you (CBT, medication, etc) helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sudeep said:

I am 26 years old. I have been suffering from this for the past 2 months. Whenever I am sitting in silence, I get racing "thoughts" about a number of things. These thoughts are in my inner voice, and these are the things I'd think, but they are out of my control. It can be random words popping in my mind, or it can be sentences. It's usually about mundane things. When this is happening, my brain feels very tired, and I kind of zone out. When I come back, I realise that I am having these thoughts, and I put a stop to them. They only happen when I am not thinking anything. When my brain is empty so to speak. I googled and it said that these thoughts could be voices so I got scared. But they are not about anything- just gibberish. I can equate them with the racing thoughts one has when sleeping. Maybe my attitude will change, but right now I view them as the result of a tired and out of control mind. In other words I see them as my thoughts, but ones which are a product of my subconscious. Now I have been to two psychiatrists, a counsellor and three doctors who have told me that this is not schizophrenia. This is quite strange since they all seemed so sure of it. I have walked to three hospitals asking to be committed only to be sent back. This entire thing was exacerbated by my googling things on the net. So I have been told not to do that. But really- would experiencing inner thoughts of this kind point towards schizophrenia? Or can it be anxiety/extreme stress? Looking for nuanced responses rather than doomsday prophecies or panic inducing declarations. I am intrigued to know whether any mental condition apart from psychosis can cause this since the psychiatrists are so sure it's not that.  Now since the psychiatrists have dismissed me as having JUST ANXIETY- could this be a part of it? 

(first in bold) ... you just described what my mind does ... the racing thoughts, etc, that happen unless you aren't thinking of anything.

Personally, no, it doesn't really seem to point to SZ (IMO).  I mean it could, but there are so many other things (symptoms) that "come with" SZ that based on this ONE symptom you are talking about, it is hard to tell what it could be from (in terms of it could be a symptom of something else, or who knows).

(2nd bold) ... Personally speaking ... anxiety and/or extreme stress will definitely cause the racing thoughts for me.  So will lack of sleep.

And whome is right ... it is not "just anxiety."  Anxiety is real and can "show" itself in many different ways.  For you, maybe the anxiety is causing the racing thoughts.  I'm not a DR, but this is what happens to me ... anxiety, along with added stress, lack of sleep.

Schizophrenia is usually marked by the inability to understand that the voices and sounds they hear are not real.  

Anxiety about the voices indicates a level of self awareness that would indicate it is not Schizophrenia.  

Being anxious about Schizophrenia is VERY common among people with anxiety disorders.  

I have "psychosis". I hear random words and sounds, but I can have my own thoughts over top of the hallucinations. I also can't stop them. It sounds to me like you're experiencing racing and/or obsessive thoughts, not psychosis. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Racing thoughts" and "noisy brain" were among my initial symptoms/complaints when I started seeing my psychiatrist. They also lead to insomnia, and when I can't sleep, my brain/thoughts get even faster/louder. It became a vicious circle. Seroquel has helped me get some much needed sleep. My doc thought we needed to address the insomnia and get me some rest before we could better address other issues. 

On 7/3/2016 at 10:38 AM, Sudeep said:

Now since the psychiatrists have dismissed me as having JUST ANXIETY- could this be a part of it? 

Re-reading your OP, I also think it could be anxiety.  Maybe other things too, but a lot of anxiety.

I have had the same exact thing said to me, that "Just anxiety" BS.  I still think it should be treated regardless if you have the anxiety or not, and not be dismissed. 

On 7/3/2016 at 10:38 AM, Sudeep said:

Now I have been to two psychiatrists, a counsellor and three doctors who have told me that this is not schizophrenia.

Were you put on a/some anti-anxiety meds by any of the pdocs who said it was "just anxiety?"

Do you currently have a psychiatrist (pdoc) and/or therapist (tdoc) to talk to about this?

I too get racing thoughts. My mind is never quiet. Even when I'm asleep I have bizarre and vivid dreams almost every night. The only time I get a break is when I'm so exhausted I just sleep like a log for 1 single night then it's right back to the cycle of overthinking, worrying, skipping from subject to subject, sometimes thinking about so many things at once I don't even know what to say when I need to talk about something because I feel like there is just too much.