CrazyBoards.org

I was first treated for generalized anxiety disorder in 1991 with Benzos and an SSRI. Basically survived adequately until 2010 when I developed major depression disorder. Numerous cocktails of SSRI's, SSNI's, atypical antipsychotics, etc. were tried; none with success. Had extreme suicide ideation and overwhelming depression. I would sleep 10-12 hours a day, cry a lot, but still managed to work. There was no reason for this sudden development of MDD, just shit luck I guess. Four T-Docs later I was labeled "treatment resistant" and told the next step was an MAO inhibitor, specifically Nardil. I studied up on this drug and hated the restrictive diet but more so the limitations on medications I could take. None the less, the depression peaked to the point of having a suicide plan, and I decided to go to the Nardil. I first had to be two weeks off of the 20mg of Lexapro and 200mg of Wellbutrin I was taking. I stopped both these drugs way to soon (over four days) and suffered miserably with headaches, insomnia, dizziness, etc. However, the depression disappeared! Initially I thought that the withdrawal symptoms were so severe that the depression just took a back seat. Kind of like if you have a bad headache then smash your thumb with a hammer, you forget the headache. But now two weeks post these SSRI's, I still have no depression. I would not say I am happy, just not depressed, which is still miraculous. I continue to have some dizziness, and my sleep sucks; I barely get 6 hours a night and during that time wake up every hour (even after trying Ambien, Benadryl, and weed). I also maintain my anxiety and am more irritable off SSRI's.  I am wondering if anyone else has simply gotten better from depression after stopping meds for it, and if so for how long. I AM NOT ADVOCATING ANYONE TRY THIS AS THIS COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS. Jt07, I have read some of your posts as to how you went depression free for 3 years; I would love to here how you got better, then why you had to resume meds, if you would be kind enough to share. Also, anyone else with input is most welcome to comment.

Thanks Southern Discomfort for your reply. The depression is better, which is great, but I still have the anxiety and worry plus insomnia. The SSRI's definitely helped those symptoms. I too am wondering if the SSRI's depressed me; paradoxical indeed. Also, it's only been two weeks so who knows what time will do.

I am wondering if anyone else has simply gotten better from depression after stopping meds for it, and if so for how long.

I don't have an answer for you but wanted to say that I'm glad you are feeling better after starting the nardil. 

4 hours ago, Southern Discomfort said:

I'm glad that from everything you've gone through you're feeling better. Maybe it the medication which was causing you to feel depressed as a side effect?

^^ I agree with SD.

Edited by melissaw72
double post

I am hesitant to say what helped me and sent me into remission because it really is not healthy, but I was on a very strict diet to lose a great deal of weight. I was on such a strict diet that basically my body burning fat made the diet ketogenic. The problem was that I couldn't maintain the diet indefinitely for obvious reasons and as soon as it ended, my mood began to tank again.

I do not recommend people trying it because it can be dangerous without the supervision of a doctor.

Like a bolt of lightning the depression has returned with a passion. WHAT SHIT LUCK. I am going on the Nardil an am afraid of the diet and medicine restrictions. Anyone on a MAO inhibitor with

1 hour ago, Twidder said:

Like a bolt of lightning the depression has returned with a passion. WHAT SHIT LUCK. I am going on the Nardil an am afraid of the diet and medicine restrictions. Anyone on a MAO inhibitor with

I was on one many years ago, (Idk remember which one, but it was definitely an MAOI), but after a week of being on it I could not stand the food restrictions so I stopped taking it (pdoc said ok to go off of it).

I knew I wouldn't follow the restrictions and was honest about that.  So I got off of it.

I also was on an MAOI (Marplan) many years ago. I didn't think the diet was too bad. It's rather easy to adhere to, but a lot of people have problems giving up pepperoni pizza, beer, wine, and aged cheeses. You can still eat unaged cheeses though. I did go off the Marplan though but that was because it didn't help me much.

3 hours ago, jt07 said:

Chocolate might be on the list. I didn't mean my list to be exhaustive. I'm just saying what I have heard people complain about.

Ohhh ... I'm sorry ... I know you didn't mean your list to be exhaustive and include everything.  I agree the list of foods is a long one. 

My post was just a thought that came to me.  I probably should have quoted your post to add my reply.  My apologies!

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, shopgirl said:

Do you think the Klonopin you are taking could have anything to do with your problems?  Is it possible you have become tolerant to the dose and you are withdrawing?

I have always wondered if Klonopin and the numerous other Benzo's I've been on for 25 years have caused/worsened my depression. I have tried to stop or reduce these, but the anxiety gets crazy.

As for the Nardil, starting dose of 30mg/day did nothing. pdoc upped it to 45 yesterday, and I am hoping this makes the difference I need. Anyone know the therepeautic range for this med; I think it is 30-90/day?

• 2 weeks later...