CrazyBoards.org

devon

i think thats a GREAT idea if you truly have the motivation to do so.  especially if youre feeling lousy about the weight youve gained over the holiday season.

unfortunately, i live about a 30min. drive into work...and its obviously impossible to walk.  ive always wanted to go walking after lunch - as i work in a commercial area and there are numerous blocks...etc.  and, since the new year ive had a completely different outlook on life. i WANT to get healthier, i WANT to quit smoking and i WANT to start eating better.  its not a resolution, either.  i really really want to make this change.  im a decent weight (5'5 - 125lbs) but my eating habits are bad and there is a lot i CANT eat due to IBS.  but, i really want to try...

good luck with everything - keep us posted!

I walk to class every day!  It's not very long (only about a 20 minute walk), but I gained weight over the holidays, too, and I'm hoping that coming back to my walking routine will help.

I walk to work every day...but then again my office is right next to the house ;)

I go to water aerobics 3 times a week at my local community center. It is only $2.50 a class. Much cheaper than a gym. And if I miss class for some reason, I am not stuck paying for something I don't use.

I think the walking to work thing would be a great way for you to build up your fitness level. I wish you the best.

I go to water aerobics 3 times a week at my local community center. It is only $2.50 a class. Much cheaper than a gym. And if I miss class for some reason, I am not stuck paying for something I don't use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you think of water aerobics? I've been thinking of joining, however i wasn't sure of the workout. Does it really help?

Hey Jooolz...

I really like the instructor. That makes it fun to come to class. I have greatly increased my strength and stamina between water aerobics and a weekly belly dance class. Since I am 42, I am fighting to keep as much flexibility as possible (bad knees & hips run in the family).

Honestly, I have not lost a lot of weight, but I have lost serious inches. Also I have noticed a lot of toning.

The water aerobics really makes it possible to get a lot of movement without blowing out your knees and back.

I would find a place where you don't have to sign your life away and try a class or two. After about a week, it really does become addictive.

The water aerobics really makes it possible to get a lot of movement without blowing out your knees and back.

I would find a place where you don't have to sign your life away and try a class or two. After about a week, it really does become addictive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GREAT!!!!!

I have a bum knee that ends up bugging me if i do too much. Sounds like this could be the answer. My finacee is going to pay my way to join the YMCA so i'll be able to get some water aerobics in.  One more question: What is the age range of people? I picture all of these silver haired grannies in their swim suits. LOL (i'm 26)

What is the age range of people? I picture all of these silver haired grannies in their swim suits. LOL (i'm 26)

That depends on the YMCA.  I lived in an urban center when I was a member, so I had access to a dozen different locations.  The bellydance classes I went to at one was populated by (mainly) upper-middle-age women.  The power yoga classes there were late teens through middle-aged professionals.  Swim classes were sometimes young professional and university student-based, sometimes built on seniors.  Hip-hop dance was mainly young people, average age of about nineteen. 

At another Y, this one centered in Richville, the aquatic classes were unofficially segregated by age.  They would inform you at the desk, if you asked.  Tai chi was all ages.  Yoga had a few middle-agers, but was mostly 20 and 30-somethings (for power yoga, hatha yoga, and "wake up" relaxation yoga).  Bellydance was mostly middle-aged women. 

At the slick and shiny downtown Y, everything was youth youth youth.  University students and young professionals.  Bring your spandex.  That was one gorgeous pool. 

I've been to a few others, but I think I've proved my point.  YMCAs vary by community.  The only way to find out is to show up.  Asking ahead can prepare you, depending on the experience of the person manning the desk, but the best way to find out is to show up.  Also, dancing or working out with people older than you can be fun.  I'm around the same age as you, and I LOVED being at a song camp otherwise populated by grandparents, or dancing with (okay, fine, helping teach) older women (and a paunchy guy named Bruno -- heehee), and doing yoga with classes mostly much older than me.  Besides, if you have mobility issues, you could likely benefit from exercises designed to increase mobility in arthritic participants.  The only way to know is to SHOW.  Give it a shot. 

Archived