CrazyBoards.org

Do you crash after hypo/mania?

I don't crash. I go through a mixed episode that gradually becomes less elevated and more depressed. After a couple weeks of that, I move into a solid depression episode. I do the same with hypo sometimes, but I usually have at least a couple weeks baseline I think. Am I just weird? Everyone seems to talk about how hypomania would be great if it weren't for the crash. Maybe I'm just lucky. 

• 2 weeks later...
On July 4, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Chantho said:

I don't crash. I go through a mixed episode that gradually becomes less elevated and more depressed. After a couple weeks of that, I move into a solid depression episode. I do the same with hypo sometimes, but I usually have at least a couple weeks baseline I think. Am I just weird? Everyone seems to talk about how hypomania would be great if it weren't for the crash. Maybe I'm just lucky. 

I think this is more my pattern too.

The euphoric mania starts shifting towards panic and agitation like I am so far out of control and I am helpless to stop it. I feel unable to stand being in my own skin. It seems like my mind is attacking me in every way possible and things are too fast suddenly. I'm in over my head with projects and ideas. That lasts for a while (the length varies from days to weeks or longer when unmediated or undermedicated) then I do crash or enter a depressive period.

The crash doesn't seem to usually be immediate IME either. It's not like one day I'm euphoric manic and then 2 days later I'm depressed.

It has shifted into this for me at this point in my illness (I'm 32 and on meds now). I seem to get into that mixed area but I've never been directly told I'm mixed.

But then again, I don't read medical records or court papers or ask specifically about episodes I've had for my own sanity/sake. Not worth the pain it causes me. I've got problems with my care team though and I don't feel comfortable discussing much of anything with them.