CrazyBoards.org

Tips for 'The Hunger'

I have been started on olanzapine and I've already got The Hunger.

I cannot stop eating. It's like an itch I cannot scratch. I'm already a little overweight.

I'm shoveling food in my mouth and not even enjoying it really. It's horrible, really.

Please help. Anyone got tips??

Aye, I got this when I started risperidone. It felt very odd for me since eating isn't really something I take a lot of pleasure from. You might find this is a temporary thing that'll pass in a few weeks like it did for me. 

Try to eat as much fruit as you can instead of junk food. I usually can't stand too much fruit like bananas and the like, when I instead opted from was bags of raisins, they did be quite well.

33 minutes ago, Hester said:

I have been started on olanzapine and I've already got The Hunger.

I cannot stop eating. It's like an itch I cannot scratch. I'm already a little overweight.

I'm shoveling food in my mouth and not even enjoying it really. It's horrible, really.

Please help. Anyone got tips??

I was put on naltrexone which saved me from gaining weight. 

All the above, plus,

What I have found helpful is to pack individual plastic boxes with healthy foods, so you aren't (maybe) as tempted to overeat, and it's an easy fix. Small salads are good, add various veggies to it, and make your own dressing in a separate bottle, to cut down on sugars and fat... Plus homemade is so much better than store-bought. Slices of cheese, too, there's lots of suggestions on the web. I also freeze very small portions like lasagna, less than half size servings, I've found that by the time I've thawed it and heated it (no microwave), some cravings have diminished a bit. And drink lots of water.

I'm on 400mg seroquel, and I've lost 10 lbs so far.

• Like 1

One thing I just remembered (because it happened last night) ... is to make sure you get plenty of sleep.  For me, if I am tired (even just by the littlest amount), I will always overeat.  If I have just eaten, am full, but still want food, 99% of the time it is because I am tired.  I usually go to sleep and wake up full (from all the food I ate before I realized I was tired).

I hear you so much and I appreciate seeing the suggestions.  I knew when I went back up on seroquel, this was likely to happen--and it did so quickly it was ridiculous.  I was previously doing fine with my fitness pal, even with its really low goal of calories, and now I can't come close.  Sigh. 

-Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

-Sometimes acknowledging and naming The Hunger is helpful.  If you slip up or give in, try to have sense of humor: "The Zyprexa Gremlins struck again," or "Yep, that was The Hunger in action."  The key is to avoid beating yourself up.

-Buy single-serve treats or make it an outing.

-Be truthful with yourself: If you always overeat a certain food, don't pretend this one time will be different.

@melissaw72 Good point about getting adequate rest!  Tiredness is a trigger for most folks.

• Like 1

I take quietipine which has the exact same problem at the exact same amount of severity. My CPN said drink two big glasses of water OR eat a big salad. What I usually have is a dinner size plate of lettuce with balsamic vinegar or lemon with salt and pepper. Fruit also helps a lot. I'm technically classed as overweight but actually food wise I'm doing good because I follow those things. It's the beer that has caused me to gain weight, once I cut that, I'll be slim. 

If you can exercise that would help, I don't exercise though, probably cuz of the meds so probably you just got to deal with "The Hunger" through healthy eating. Olanzapine is more sedating than Q from what i heard from people I know so maybe you just got to deal with this through food.

Good Luck :)