CrazyBoards.org

Has Day Treatment/Intensive Out-patient helped you?

Day Treatment or Intensive Out-patient... have they helped you? Did you have a hard time going every day?

I'm not sure if I want to go back because I have a hard time driving there and back. I also find it hard to listen to other peoples problems in the group therapy because it gets depressing. But on the other hand, I enjoy the social interaction because I don't get that normally as I have no friends. I'm just having a hard time deciding if I want to try it again.

What did you find helpful or not helpful?

IOP was helpful for me mainly because it gave me a place to go to every day. A reason to wake up in the morning. Otherwise I would have wasted the day in bed. The actual content of the program was only occasionally helpful (lots of discussion, some DBT stuff).

i'm like you in that I'm considering it for a second time. My husband is away for a month soon and without the care and structure I'd probably end up IP.

I'm thinking that the social interaction and the structure of having to get up and go every day will be really useful. So you don't just lie around in bed, as aura says.

Plus they keep a good eye on you. Last time they send me IP when I went really bad, and I was glad of that.

I find benefit to IOP for the same reasons Hester says. It gives me structure to my day, it gives me people to be accountable to, and it means there are people keeping an eye on my well-being. I have been admitted to IP from IOP before. I appreciate having people to talk to about how I'm doing on an ongoing basis, more regularly than once a week with my tdoc.

With IOP, I've used it as a stepping stone from IP. IOP 5 days/wk, IOP then a couple hours of work 5 days a week, IOP then work 3 days a week (M/W/F) and work for a full day 2 days a week (T/Th), work 3 full days (M/W/F) and two partials after IOP on T/Th. Etc. Maybe talk to your IOP about if you can do that and ease your way back into normal life? Would it be easier if you don't have to go every day?

Personally, I like going and listening to other people. It's a little depressing, sure, but it's nice for me to have social interaction with real people (not online) who get it. I don't have much in the way of friends and sometimes it feels like I can't be real to anyone. IOP, group therapy, etc. are places I can be real, just like here on CB - which means it's also not always about the crazy. My IOP program has some downtime though when we can do more socializing that doesn't have to be about the crazy. 

Welp... I guess I'm doing IOP again. I go back this week. Ugh, so tired of hospitals.

Thanks for the input everyone, I also agree that it gives a lot more structure to everything and the socialization helps a ton.

22 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

Nicely done surreal w/ making the commitment.  I'm trying to make this hard call myself.  I've done it before and found it helpful, but I'm wary to take that amount of time "off" (recognizing it's not at all like a vacation of course!). 

Thank you. It's going to be for a few days per week and than I am also seeing my normal therapist for one-on-one therapy on the in-between days during the week.

I don't think I could do this if I were working or going to school. It would be too much to handle.

Good luck with it if you decide to do that! I know how hard and stressful it can be dealing with this stuff. :(

Good luck to both of you!  I'm leaning in that direction myself.  Surreal, your option of being able to see people out of the program would be perfect.

i have gotten confirmation from my office that I can apply for short term disability if needed, so hopefully that will pan out if need be.