CrazyBoards.org

Flying in a week

My honey and I are flying from CA to MO in a week and I'm already starting to panic about flying.  I'm terrified to fly and usually get drunk to manage, but his family (who we're visiting) is picking us up at the airport.  I don't want to make an ass in front of my future in-laws.  I see my pdoc tomorrow, and I wish so badly that he'd prescribe me something to ease my anxiety, but he won't because I drink.  I guess get drunk it'll be.  FUCK!!  I'm still going to beg him for something just to tie me over for the flights out and back.  4 flights in all with the layovers.  I HATE this panic and it's only getting worse.  UGH.

Even people without MI freak out over flying. That's why the bars exist behind security. If you do drink, don't get so drunk that they refuse to seat you on the airplane.

I wish I had some advice for you. I'm nervous too on airplanes, but only during take off and landings. Just realize that there are thousands of take-offs and landings every day but accidents are really rare.

I had to fly from PA to TX last year, yep, 4 flights total. Like jt, I think the take-off in particular is the most nerve wracking. I didn't drink inbetween or before flights, and only had a bloody Mary for each leg of the trip. That helped. You don't want to be drunk and navigating a busy airport. (and hot, what is the deal? Every airport I was in, I was sweating. Wear lightweight clothes).

My dad was a career airplane mechanic, although he worked for a private hangar. He would always tell me that a plane is safer than a car. He also said, if you have the choice, sit towards the back of the plane. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've pretty much given up flying, won't do it. The actual flying I've never minded, it's mainly going through the airport/through security that I can't do. I had never had a problem before and yeah I usually had a few in one of the airport bars or on the plane, but the last time I flew I was standing in line at baggage check and my friend who'd never flown in his life asks me a question and I turn around to answer him and this security guard walks up and starts questioning me, where are we going, fine, what's there? a conference, what sort of conference? Here I stumble and stutter as it has to do with mental illness and those are the last words I want to say in this situation. So I'm vaguely trying to explain it without actually saying what it is when my friend just says "we help people with mental illness" and the guy goes "Oh! that's great" and lets us on by.

I mean I get nervous enough in public places as it is, I'm not sure if it hadn't been for my friend I wouldn't have been taken into some room and interrogated.

I won't fly anymore mainly because of the security and getting meds through.  I don't think that would be a problem, but still worries me.  Then I go through the scanner, and because I have had a hip replacement  (artificial hip) all the sirens and lights and all go crazy and I'm taken aside, patted down, etc.  I can't stand it.

The last time I flew was in 2009, so I'm not sure of any changes to the security.  But the stress of not knowing what will happen with security, the lines, and just in general being stressed out when flying ... enough to make me not want to fly.

When I last flew last time I was in a wheelchair (had just had 3rd hip surgery), so it was actually easier for me to get through security (didn't have to wait in a line) ... still had to get patted down, but it was quicker.  But although it was faster, still didn't like it. 

2 hours ago, tyrantblade said:

Getting medications through isnt a problem, ive flew the last 2 years, we just put our medicine and a few small things in a clear ziplock bag so they can see its prescription medications and we don't look guilty of trying to smuggle illegal drugs through.

What about inhalers and epi-pens?

34 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

What about inhalers and epi-pens?

I have asthma so i bring am Inhaler along, not a problem, and lots of people have severe allergies to certain foods, so im assuming that wouldn't be a problem either.

The key is Transparency, if they can clearly see you have nothing to hide and nothing seems out of order, you will go through without them even questioning your medications.

They don't care about meds, at least in the states. Key is to keep the meds in the prescription bottle they came in. I have taken 20 or more bottles, including scheduled meds and they did not blink. 

4 hours ago, notloki said:

Key is to keep the meds in the prescription bottle they came in.

Thanks.  That was how I did it when I last flew and didn't have any problems.  I still worry though because at least around here, they've stepped up everything to closer inspections.  I do have bottles that the meds come in, but don't always have the updated ones.

6 hours ago, tyrantblade said:

I have asthma so i bring am Inhaler along, not a problem, and lots of people have severe allergies to certain foods, so im assuming that wouldn't be a problem either.

Good to know, thanks.

That's awesome!!!! I wont fly without Ativan. Terrifies me. I start worrying weeks before.  It wrecks my vacation thinking about flight back. I only fly direct. Glad it worked out for you so well!!!

Edited by Micho
My terrible typing on phone

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Dewey
      Went to my HMO for the first time since my former primary mistreated me.  Everytime I would drive up to the building I could not go inside as a panic attack would hit me.
      Made it thru selecting new glasses, but wanted to run out of there, was having shortness of breathe. 
      Then made it thru pharmacy to pick up scripts and lastly made it thru a flu shot. 
      The Zyprexa is dampening down the run-away anxiety/panic/agoraphobia so far and I found myself very much in the present moment.
      I was soo proud of myself for making it thru the day  

• By Dewey
      This is what I go thru every day from the moment I wake up: anxiety throughout the day, uncontrollable anxiety and panic only when I leave my home, dissociation in times of high stress and high anxiety and panic, insomnia every night, daily depression, scary cycling mood swings.
      My psych doc called me on a Saturday afternoon (now this doc is semi-retired and only works 3 days a week now). I was shocked when I saw his name come up on caller ID.  He was calling to suggest I go into the hospital until I become stabilized.  Stabilized in one week, no way I say.  It's gonna take time for that to happen.  He said with the dissociation and everything else I am going thru on a daily basis he is worried I might self harm.  I assured him I am not at that point and he knows that I call him when I need to go back in, plus I have a new kitten and don't want anyone in my home anyway. I think I can manage all this at home.  I will be seeing him on Tuesday.  That was soo out of character for him to call me like that, kinda got my attention and am I worse off then I realize.  I have known him for 30+ years and he knows me well, so I have to trust his direction. His concern is that I am in the middle of a perfect storm and anything can happen and he worries that if anything triggers me I might not be able to control what happens to me.
      Then several neighbors stopped by to see if I was okay as they have not seen me last week, curtains have remained closed, not answering phones nor texts.  I know I have been avoiding alot of neighbors now as I am selectively avoiding those that trigger me and those that knocked on my door I call them "the axis of terror" for what they have been known to do to other people here. So, I had their phones on block.  I have been protecting myself while I work on medication and mood and it's nobody's business. 
      Had a game of RummyKub set up for this evening and really looked forward to this all week, and everyone just canceled, really bummed about that.
      I have had no interest in bath, washing my hair, eating.  I can't focus on TV, can't read, nor listen to my book tapes. No interest in anything, I am soo flooded with anxiety/panic.
      My HMO has restricted how many benzos I take, I have been on Klonopin for 30 years and that takes the edge off, but have to stock pile them due to the restrictions and delays in getting the medication to me, so had to cut back and that makes my anxiety worse.
      So, back to my psych doc.  The plan is to keep me on Seroquel (1/2 of a 25 mg) at night for sleep and for mood control for now during the day until I see him next week.  It just sedates me too much if I take more than 1/2 of 25 mg in a 24 hour period.  But the Seroquel puts the breaks on mood cycling, I just can't tolerate the side effects, they never go away, just increase.
      So, I am going to suggest to him for sleep (I want to get off Seroquel due to over sedation and muscle rigidity), Ambien or Trazodone.  I read up that Trazodone helps with insomnia, panic, migraine.  Then I need a mood stabilizer/seizure medication so may go back on Depakote and Xanax for rescue from intense anxiety/panic.  I don't want to go back on Lithium. 
      Goal for the day, making my bed and taking a bath, maybe washing my hair.

• By Dewey
      Finally came clean with my psych.  I am sitting here with boxes of the same item (3) of this and that, that I ordered online and don't even remember I ordered these items. I increased my credit line on my credit cards so I could spend more. I find when I am up late at night I order, order, order and don't remember the next day what I ordered until I get an email that an item is coming. I can't leave my home due to panic and high anxiety.  I have to stop spending or I am heading for bankruptcy.
      My psych doc just started me on Seroquel (1/2 of a 25 mg - very low dose due to sensitivities to medication) at night and Abilify during the day.  I had taken myself off all my meds and don't know why.  I have been having confusion, dissociation, fear of leaving my apartment, insomnia, fear of my mind falling apart.  So, with the encouragement of a friend, I came clean and told my psych doc everything that was going on.  I feel embarrassed, but I do need help and apparently I can't manage all this alone.  He did not judge me, he knew something was amiss due to all the vmails I leave on his answering machine.
      Thinking back, I have gone thru several traumatic events and this could have probably kicked all this off.  I am not in therapy just yet, but I need to be.  So, thought I would start here for help navigating all this. 
      Here is the list of the traumas I have gone thru over the past 12 months: witnessed and stopped a brutal assault and went to criminal court as a witness, witnessed the sudden death of a close friend, then right after that went thru a forced move to an apartment I do not like, then had a liver biopsy, have been thru numerous doctors trying to find out what my medical condition is, now I have an impacted kidney stone and facing more surgery, tore my meniscus in my knee but can't get to the ortho for treatment, lost 40 pounds due to not eating and having nausea with all the pain I have had.
      I only sleep 3-4 hours a night, so hoping the Seroquel will help me get my sleep hygiene back in tact.  Hoping the Abilify will help with mood stabilization and anxiety/panic control.  Those are my medication goals right now. 
      Thank you for listening.
    • By l'appel du vide
      Hi everyone So here's a little background: I have been taking Klonopin daily for 4+ years now. The dosage at first was 1mg a day,  increased to 2mg a day, then 3mg a day, back down to 2mg. I was on 2mg a day for the majority of the time using Klonopin. At the beginning of 2018, I discussed with my psych that I want to VERY slowly taper off Klonopin completely, since I feel my anxiety and panic are not as bad as they were, especially with being on Prozac. He agreed, so we tapered very slowly. I would make 25% to 33% reductions every visit. So far I have made it down to 0.75mg a day. That's huge for me! My anxiety is still close to nonexistent, but I do worry about one thing. When I do eventually get off Klonopin completely, will my anxiety and panic come back even though I have been having mild symptoms from tapering that do, eventually go away? Looking for answers from people who have gotten off benzo daily use and successfully remained (mostly) anxiety-free. Thank you very much.
    • By Courty140
      In January of this year I woke up with a panic attack completely out of the blue.  Despite several episodes of anxiety and depression in my 20s, my last episode was back in 2008!  At that time I went through a year or so of therapy, committed to staying on 30mg of Paxil, and I never looked back.  I honestly would have said I was cured!  The panic attack led to a period of anxiety that lasted right through February.  I upped the Paxil to 40mg and worked with a psychiatrist who suggested adding Lamictal.  We started at 25mg for 2 weeks, 50mg for 2 weeks, and then 75mg.  I started noticing a positive difference at about a week on 75mg.  A few days later, the anxiety and depression just lifted!  It was like I had my life back.  For nearly a month I felt great, and believed the Lamictal must have made the difference.  Unfortunately, it didn't last.  
      About a week ago something minor triggered anxiety in me, and again it has lasted!  My psychiatrist recommended going up to 100mg of Lamictal, so I started that two days ago.  My question is, does lamictal work and then wear off if it's not at the right level?  Has anyone had success with an SSRI and lamictal for anxiety and depression, not related to bipolar disorder?  Can anyone offer advice on how to keep the faith with these medication changes, or how to overcome anxiety?  Looking for others who get it, and want to help!