CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar disorder and bodybuilding

hi i  have an addiction to bodybuilding and swimming i work out 5 days a week in the gym and i swim 2 days a week .. im really a huge fan of sport in genral but i  find it hard to increase weights on bench press.. anyone here also train hard? do u have tips? is it possible to have a strong and shaped body with the antipsychotic..? my goal is to lift as much weight as possible im crazy in the gym i do every exercise maybe like 20 times or more i spend 3 hours a day in the gym i like it...

You need to eat very carefully, and be incredibly careful about keeping yourself hydrated and keeping your electrolytes balanced. If you want to build muscle, you need a lot of protein, and eating a protein rich, carb light diet is a good way to keep our weight in control anyway. But your brain needs glucose to function, and that pretty much means carbs. Eat complex carbohydrates (think whole grains, not things like white bread or cookies). Go to a nutritionist, actually; explain what you want to do, and ask for diet advice.

I don't know what would be wrong with whey, but brewer's yeast might be a better option in terms of all the other vitamins and minerals that come with it.   

This is nowhere close to the intended subject matter of this board and you'd likely be better off asking somewhere else.  

Also make sure your care team knows what you're doing.  Physical exercise can be extremely helpful to people with mental health problems but as with everything else, you have to be careful not to overdo it.  

If you're trying to seriously bulk up, you need a coach.  

You could try mixing it up a bit by increasing or decreasing the weight and therefore changing the amount of reps. You can also try supersetting. Your muscles will become used to doing the same old thing. You need to give your muscles a surprise every now and then to overcome a plateau.

You would be better off mixing up a drink of 50:50 skim milk powder and fresh skim milk for your protein. The average male can only process between 20 and 22 grams of protein per day...the rest is 'junked' by the kidneys.

Also....you need rest days...especially if you are weight training with the intent of muscle hypertrophy and growth. If this is your goal then really focus upon good form and range of movement with free weights right from the get-go......this will help you immensely  when you eventually start lifting your bodyweight and more.

A few sessions with a good PT is money well invested.

EDIT: and by 'go hard at the gym'....I train several times a week with a PT but my focus is on strength and endurance because i'm quite small (170lbs) but I have always had really good cardiovascular fitness and inherited reasonably  athletic genes from both parents. I'm never going to try and lift big numbers but I will happily lift little numbers all day long.

Edited by sprocket

Also, overdoing the weights will lead to muscle atrophy which means you won't build any muscle at all. They say 45 mins of high intensity lifting including rest between sets will result in maximum gains. Like others said - you need to eat well to feed your muscles which should include lots of protein. There's loads of information on the internet. I recommend you visit scoobysworkshop.com.

• Like 1