CrazyBoards.org

Dealing with nausea from meds

So, I get this hidious nausea from buprenorphine patches Im on for my generalized joint pain. (My joints over move)

Does anyone have a word to spare on this?

Every time I wear those patches Ill have to remove them at some point cause of nausea/vomiting. Will that go away eventually if I just handle it long enough?

Ps. Going to get help from doc to med change aint a solution, I fought years to get even this point. All they would most likely do is take me off from these and leave me with nothing/something ive already tried. (And my problem is only nausea, these take my pain away well)

I love zofran (particularly for it's lack of issues)... but in addition/or in the interim.. What I do is freeze some ginger root, then run it under hot water.  That works well for peeling off the skin. (The skin's not bad, but you'll get more surface contact without it.). Then I cut it into chunks and boil it for 20mins in water along with a cinnamon stick.  Strain & cool.

If you can handle drinking it straight, you only need about 1/4cup to work.  I personally dilute it with iced tea though.

I actually think it works better than the zofran for me.

Side note: If you have a prn benzo and take it with the zofran - it boosts the effectiveness.  Quite a bit actually.  Heard that over and over again on pregnancy forums... and it turned out to be true.

15 minutes ago, Cetkat said:

I love zofran (particularly for it's lack of issues)... but in addition/or in the interim.. What I do is freeze some ginger root, then run it under hot water.  That works well for peeling off the skin. (The skin's not bad, but you'll get more surface contact without it.). Then I cut it into chunks and boil it for 20mins in water along with a cinnamon stick.  Strain & cool.

If you can handle drinking it straight, you only need about 1/4cup to work.  I personally dilute it with iced tea though.

I actually think it works better than the zofran for me.

Side note: If you have a prn benzo and take it with the zofran - it boosts the effectiveness.  Quite a bit actually.  Heard that over and over again on pregnancy forums... and it turned out to be true.

Cetkat ... Hi!  It has been awhile! 

(in bold) Thanks for that tip about zofran + benzos boosting its effectiveness.  I'll have to keep the boiling ginger in mind also.  Can you use ground cinnamon instead of a cinnamon stick?

2 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Cetkat ... Hi!  It has been awhile! 

(in bold) Thanks for that tip about zofran + benzos boosting its effectiveness.  I'll have to keep the boiling ginger in mind also.  Can you use ground cinnamon instead of a cinnamon stick?

Hi!  No problem!  It was the first my pdoc had heard about it (the smart Mayo one - he was very curious), but it has been a consistent result with me.

The only issue with ground cinnamon would be that it would be harder to strain out.  But you could probably double up some cheesecloth.  It won't hurt you of course, but I can see it being harder to drink while nauseated.

1 hour ago, Cetkat said:

Hi!  No problem!  It was the first my pdoc had heard about it (the smart Mayo one - he was very curious), but it has been a consistent result with me.

The only issue with ground cinnamon would be that it would be harder to strain out.  But you could probably double up some cheesecloth.  It won't hurt you of course, but I can see it being harder to drink while nauseated.

Good to know, thanks!  Hope all is going well with you. Just because you aren't here I do think of you :)

18 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Good to know, thanks!  Hope all is going well with you. Just because you aren't here I do think of you :)

Thank you. That really means a lot actually.  Things are really hard right now, but one goal is to get back in a good enough headspace to be back around like I was. 

As a quick note--the pill form works well for me instead of the ODT.  I would go the ODT route if i had to, but I usually can't do anything that dissolves or is liquid because flavored meds nearly universally make me sick (other than dimetapp).

the person I was dating had the ODT version and in a desperate moment I swallowed one by essentially tossing it back as quickly as possible with a bunch of juice.  But I'm just sharing in order to note that although ODT kicks in more quickly, the pill variety isn't awful.

6 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

the person I was dating had the ODT version and in a desperate moment I swallowed one by essentially tossing it back as quickly as possible with a bunch of juice.  But I'm just sharing in order to note that although ODT kicks in more quickly, the pill variety isn't awful.

Out of curiosity ... did the zofrzn ODT work when you swallowed it?