CrazyBoards.org

Coping With Sleep Anxiety

Hi CB --

I'm looking for ways to overcome sleep anxiety. So I'm calling you crazies to ask what your nightly routines/coping skills are regarding fear of going to sleep. So far, there are only the basics, such as shut off all electronics, no talking, etc... but what other things could be helpful? Full disclosure, I'm asking for my father, and although I suffered from sleep anxiety, the methods I used aren't necessarily working well for him.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--Alice

• Like 1

On 7/7/2016 at 1:29 PM, Go Ask Alice said:

Hi CB --

I'm looking for ways to overcome sleep anxiety. So I'm calling you crazies to ask what your nightly routines/coping skills are regarding fear of going to sleep. So far, there are only the basics, such as shut off all electronics, no talking, etc... but what other things could be helpful? Full disclosure, I'm asking for my father, and although I suffered from sleep anxiety, the methods I used aren't necessarily working well for him.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--Alice

I don't often have sleep anxiety so I don't really have any techniques but I thought I'd comment what i think might help

Make the bed really comfortable, I have a super soft blanket which i lie directly on when i go to bed with a ?duna? above me, comfortable bed = (Hopefully) easier to get to sleep

other then that maybe relaxation or breathing exercises but obviously may not work

Sorry I haven't got much

Asho

Idk if this helps or not, but these things help me.

I can usually get to sleep easier than staying asleep, so when I wake up at night and cant fall back to sleep, the only thing that causes the anxiety to lessen is to go on the computer and check email, come to CB, and anything else I can think of.  then I can fall back to sleep much easier.

Maybe something is keeping him up because of some anxiety from the day before (or whenever).  Maybe have a pad of paper and a pen near the bed so he can write stuff down that might be bothering him and keeping him awake, so he might be able to get those thoughts out of his head.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For me, being quiet and no talking actually often makes me even more anxious. And when I can't sleep, I feel anxious about having insomnia or being tired the next day, which makes sleep even more elusive. Sigh.

Sometimes it helps me to not go to bed, but get comfortable on the couch instead. 

Is your father having more trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep?