CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
HAL9000

Cat box cleanout *Without cursing

This is a little bit old news but I wanted to put it down.  

So... My cat almost croaked.   Super projectile vomit.   Super screwed up kitty.  Like unable to walk.  Seemed blind.  Like wow...  Horrible.  I bring her to the vet and they hook her up to something that pumps fluids into her.   I get "the call" Vet said its time to make a hard decision and said they were going to keep her overnight and in the morning I should come in and say goodby.   When my last dog died Kitty and I went into major depression land.  Can't imagine the awfulness of saying goodby to my one and only cat.   *I found her - always was a dog person.

I think there is no way I would want my cat's last night to be locked in a cage with a room full of noisy dogs and sick critters.  So I did something good which was to make up my mind to not just do what was expected and went in asked for my cat and took her home.  Sunny day?  I sat outside (I'm not an outside guy but kitty likes the sun)  Cat in the lap.  I sit and feel lower then ant shit but...   Some hours later kitty moves!  Kitty walks (A little unsteady) and kitty eats (Anything but what she was eating that she barfed up) and uses the catbox.   Hooray!  Thank you God for taking away this awfulness... So I go back into the vet who is like WTF???   Is this the same cat?  It takes a while but kitty starts seeing ok and walking without looking drunk or just falling down.   Kitty slept in one of my dresser drawers while recovering but now is in fine shape and back to sleeping on my chair where I work again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So for whatever reason the duty of catbox is now assigned me after years and years of SO (Who is a long time cat people)  I try to use the cheap crappy plastic giant spoon thing which... breaks.  I get the other plastic piece of crap one and try to shovel out a glob and it flicks into my face....  Uck...  Super disgusting...   I hate crappy tools.  Even cat shit shovels...  Why not a serious metal cat crap (Lumps of cat wizz) scraper???

So....  I keep heaping fresh litter on top of the cat pee (And kitty doesn't get pissed off and pee under the catbox) which is a horror beyond description (for me anyway)   What I did today was I picked up the cat box turn it upside down into the garbage can outside.  Pound on it until all the cat excrement / piss globs and loose litter comes out and then take the garden hose and spray out the un-removeable cat clay glop from hell.   Cat box and some dish soap and ta-dah!   Kitty is happy and peeing in (Not all around and under) the box.   Most important I'm not searching Ebay for a Chemical Warfare suit with gas mask and nerve gas injection thing. 

This is probably me being a mental patient but I swear, say really bad curse words, have my blood pressure reach new all time highs dealing with this in any other way.   There is a certain HA HA when I pound on the bottom of the cat box and all my "problems" go away.

I'm sure long time cat persons are laughing and know a better way but...  I dunno.  Cat Box therapy?

I've gotta get one.   I don't know why anyone even makes these crappy scoops.   I think my cat appreciates the hose our and lemony freshness that hosing it out and soaping it down does... And I do love my cat. 

I'm glad she is doing better, and that the litter box is nice and clean now :)

I definitely need to get a metal scoop. Yeah, the plastic ones are crap.

Unfortunately, I have a double-size box for two cats. It's about two regular boxes wide, but much deeper. I have a male cat that doesn't get "squat low" when he pees. It's too heavy for me to lift. My kids keep wanting me to toilet train them. I am *not* waiting in line for the bathroom! 

3 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

I definitely need to get a metal scoop. Yeah, the plastic ones are crap.

Unfortunately, I have a double-size box for two cats. It's about two regular boxes wide, but much deeper. I have a male cat that doesn't get "squat low" when he pees. It's too heavy for me to lift. My kids keep wanting me to toilet train them. I am *not* waiting in line for the bathroom! 

LOL  I agree!

We used to have 2 cats and 2 litter boxes. We would put the litterbox inside a regular white kitchen-sized garbage bag, then pour litter in. Use and scoop as usual. When it was time to change litter, we just pulled the bag off with the litter and everything safely in the bag. With that method I would only rinse off the litter box with water and bleach every so often because it would stay in pretty decent shape as long as the garbage bag didn't rip/tear.* Even if it ripped/tore, it never got as bad as just using litter directly in the litterbox. (You could also probably use large Kohl's or large Bed Bath & Beyond bags if you do a lot of shopping and like to reuse/recycle plastic bags.) My cats never usually punctured the bags but they only had claws on their back feet because we were ignorant back then and didn't know that it was wrong to declaw your cat.

*Got to be careful not to scoop too carelessly and pierce the bag with the scoop.

Found this pic on the interwebs:

3biNTcX.jpg