CrazyBoards.org

Improved libido on pristiq?

I took 40mg prozac for about 1.5 yrs. I weaned off, mainly because of no sex drive, and I thought it was pooping out (in retrospect, it probably wasn't). This was also my first time on an antidepressant and I was really convinced I needed to get "off." After about 6 weeks of being off completely, I started feeling really crappy again (mainly anxiety). I have been prescribed 50mg pristiq because my GP feels it has fewer sexual side effects in women. I've been trying to research this and find mixed reviews ... which are not helpful because pristiq is supposed to have fewer sexual side effects in women but possibly more in men. I don't know if these reviewers are male or female. In fact, I've read stuff that suggests pristiq might increase sex drive in women.

Did anyone switch from something to pristiq and have a positive experience in terms of sexual side effects?

I've never heard of this before, but now that I think about it, it may improve libido relative to Prozac because it affects norepinephrine to a degree (hence the name SNRI). SSRIs are known to really hammer libdo so it's not too surprising that you get better results in that department from an SNRI like Pristiq.