CrazyBoards.org

Hi CB --

So, usually my seroquel keeps me asleep at night, but lately I've plateaued and am waking up earlier and earlier. So rather than jump to a sleeping med, I'm thinking about supplementing it with a, well, supplement.

I was wondering what peoples experiences were with melatonin and valerian root, and how they compare with one another or if they have different uses or roles in sleep.

Any input appreciated. Thanks,

--Alice

Not sure if it helps if I've tried one but not the other--if it does, I tried melatonin three separate times and each time it actually made me depressed.  As in, I'd meet the clinical criteria after being close to symptom free the week prior.  Thought the first one might have been a fluke, but apparently not.  I don't know how common this reaction is though.  I haven't tried valerian root.

Yeah, melatonin made me depressed as well and didn't help me much with sleep. Valerian didn't help me at all. If you do decide to go the supplement route be sure to run it by your doctor first. But honestly, I've never found a supplement that worked for mental problems including insomnia and I think I have tried them all.