CrazyBoards.org

anyone not really get mixed?

I don't think I get mixed episodes. I get irritable hypomania and mania, but that's within the criteria of hypo/manic mood episodes. I might have had some mixed elements during one episode that I can think of, but overwhelmingly the episode was euphoric, like usual.

I feel like people on CB are often talking about being mixed, maybe more than other mood states. My version of bipolar seems to be euphoric manias and deep depressions, without much mixing. Is anyone else in this boat, or am I super abnormal here?

Not abnormal at all, particularly for BP l. When I was in my teens and early 20's I think I shifted very quickly between mania and depression; as I got older and my manias lasted longer and were more severe I started having mixed manias in the time between the mania and the crash. Now I have no idea what's going to happen. I just try to smash any sign of mania at the first moment I notice it.

18 minutes ago, aura said:

I don't think I get mixed episodes. I get irritable hypomania and mania, but that's within the criteria of hypo/manic mood episodes. I might have had some mixed elements during one episode that I can think of, but overwhelmingly the episode was euphoric, like usual.

I feel like people on CB are often talking about being mixed, maybe more than other mood states. My version of bipolar seems to be euphoric manias and deep depressions, without much mixing. Is anyone else in this boat, or am I super abnormal here?

I'm apparently type two an I am in alot of mixed hypomanic moods mad and irritated an sad at the same time

I started out with hypomanias (and later, manias) and depressions which were completely unmixed, despite for a number of periods having ultradian cycling, with me having my first actual mixed episode when I was put on lamotrigine. Since then, slowly, mixed states have increasingly become more common and occur more readily for me, and when I have gotten ultradian cycling more recently it has incorporated mixed states unlike in my ultradian cycling in the past.

6 minutes ago, aura said:

Mixed states sound horrible. I'm not sad that I'm missing out. But it sure sounds like I'm in the minority here.

My mixed states run a wide gamut - they range from quite mild states that feel like something ranging from mild depression but with energy and some racing thoughts to hypomania without euphoria and with some sourness to intensely irritable, angry, and antsy ones with overwhelming racing negative thoughts. And to my knowledge I have never had a mixed state where the high component was actually manic, either.

So all things considered, I would still prefer one of my milder mixed states over a severe depression or mania. Conversely, I am not sure if there is anything I would not prefer over my more severe mixed states.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aura said:

I also feel like this also, aura ... I don't think I get mixed episodes either.  I feel like I am one or the other (hypo or depressed). 

Found this interesting:

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/mixed-episode-symptoms/

I've never been told by a pdoc that I was in a mixed state. It's been like current episode unspecified or something like that before but not mixed. And I never see diagnostic codes for insurance so I probably will never know.

I can't really say I truly understand what a mixed state is. If I've had one down the line I must have poor insight when it occurs.

I tend to label that sort of occurrence as bad mania (mania that turns from I'm on top of the world to this is way too much and what the hell have I done and it's never going to stop and I'm anxious as hell and I want to die.... which is usually the end of the good feeling mania. Euphoric mania can turn into this for me.) 

Would that be a mixed state or just bad mania? Or maybe just the time inbetween the mania and the ultimate crash? I'm not sure. I think it's hard to distinguish between all those possibilities. 

I just typed something similar on another post.

I don't get mixed states.

I felt unusual here because i don't have mood swings as often as a lot of other people. But, I am pretty typical in the textbooks. (which I think you will find, too) The reasoning i was given is that people that aren't doing as well seek out forums and it is a biased sample. I don't know if that is true, but it is one explanation.