CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone have a weighted blanket either for their own use or their child's use?  I've heard great things off CB about them, bt figured I'd ask here also.  I just ordered one.  I'd heard phenomenal things from a friend who is an OT and also from the parents of two kids and I couldn't think of a reason it might not help me also.  

Theyre reportedly helpful for sleeping issues, ASD, and anxiety to name a few.

I have sleep, anxiety, and ASD issues.  

We used to have an old quilt that weighed a ton.  I found it absurdly comforting.  I also find it easier to sleep in the winter when the room is cool and I'm under a thick stack of blankets.  In the summer, I actually prefer to have the AC turned up high enough that I can use a blanket simply because I find it harder to sleep under just a bed sheet. 

I dont have one but I'm comparing it to when I get  an x-ray.  Being under a weighted "blanket" (or whatever they are called) really calms me down while taking the x-ray/s and I could be under those for awhile.  I know it would help me sleep at night.

I would consider buying one but I think they are fairly expensive, when looking at Amazon at least.  I know they make them for animals too to calm them down (an anxious pet, ie).

I hadn't heard of them. I think I would find it calming. I have trouble staying still in bed if I wake up and i end up wandering around.

I was just thinking of something the other day. I had a boyfriend who would put his arm around me and hold me down (not forcefully, I would compare it to petting a cat firmly) just enough that I wouldn't get out of bed. It was calming.

I just don't like to get too hot at night. Are they really warm? I might look into one

I find them highly disturbing. I did try one because my nightmares cause me to toss and turn, only to find that the weight of the blanket was far too close to an abuser that would attempt to suffocate me, regularly squished the shit out of me and touched me inappropriately. 

And like being restrained. Anyways........ 

4 hours ago, Velvet Elvis said:

We used to have an old quilt that weighed a ton.  I found it absurdly comforting.  I also find it easier to sleep in the winter when the room is cool and I'm under a thick stack of blankets.  In the summer, I actually prefer to have the AC turned up high enough that I can use a blanket simply because I find it harder to sleep under just a bed sheet. 

Same here. I always sleep better with covers that weigh me down.

The only problem I have had was the weight on my toes while I was sleeping on my back.  Fortunately, I mostly sleep on my sides.

thanks all for the helpful responses.

in re: comparisons - I agree that I really feel better when I'm curled up under a comforter or something weightier.  I can't really sleep easily with the sheet only, but I feel like I have to during the summer unless I want to turn the a/c way up.  My hope is this might be a middle ground--something where i still have to turn it up (because it is still a blanket), but less so. I don't have the ASD, but I have the anxiety and the sleep issues, so perhaps it will help.  It seems logical to at least think it possible.

in re: cost - yes, unfortunately not cheap.  I did a lot of poking around on different places (amazon, etsy, and a specialized website) and couldn't find a particularly cheap one...and maybe my decision to buy it was an impulse buy given the price, but I think not because I really did sit on it for a good three days before going forward with it.  They are in general priced based on total weight and size, so it's possible that something smaller might still be helpful and be more affordable. 

re: impact of abuse history - I completely get that.  I know someone who was forceably held fairly frequently in situations that were really uncomfortable and I highly doubt this (with the added weight seeming like a restraint) would be something enjoyable or therapeutic to her.  I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone both because of that and generally speaking.

So mine came in the mail and it might be the coolest non-drug solution I've stumbled across in a while (not that I'm stopping any drugs--that is not the plan in the slightest unless I'm told to).  I wish that they were much more affordable, because mine really only worked because of being a fairly significant splurge. 

I haven't tried it with sleeping yet--that'll be interesting tonight.  But as I'm sitting here at my computer, it feels almost like it's taking the anxiety out of me and sending it into the floor.  I know that sounds a little hoaky, but it's the best image I can come up with.  By putting enough (but not too much) weight on my body, the extra buzzing around energy (probably also some akathisia to be honest) is gently taken away.  It doesn't stop the anxiety in my head, but stopping the physical manifestations of it is good enough for me...and honestly, stopping them for long enough may cause the mental component to slow down. 

I've only had it for a bit, so this cool effect could go away.  I'm also really hoping on the sleep side of things because as much as the restlessness sucks (tbh, I feel almost like myself again on that component--not the other bipolar shit), my biggest challenge is getting enough sleep and getting quality sleep.  I'm rather tired of waking up at midnight and then between 4 and 5am. 

well magical blanket did not help me stay asleep during the night...I had my usual going to bed around 9:30/10, waking up around 12, waking up around 3, and waking up at 5:30 (which today I just gave up and got up for).  But it did help with falling asleep (less tossing and turning) and when I woke up, I was a little less distressed than I normally am.  It's still rather reassuring to have it when I try to crash, even if I didn't sleep straight through.  That'll be a question for a different board!

I'm so glad you found one ... that at least kind of works.  Maybe your body will get used to it as time goes on and will eventually help you sleep better.  It has been only 1 night, so I hope things continue to get better over time.

What kind did you get and where?  And how do you know how much weight in the weighted blanket to get?

(My bday is next month so anything can be possible, and it was on the list of possibilities to get ... I am thinking of asking for one).

Edited by melissaw72

Hey melissa,

So it definitely works on the anxiety/sitting around the house piece, which is good enough for me if the sleep part doesn't completely catch up.  But I am hoping that it might!

I went to http://www.mosaicweightedblankets.com/

after poking around at etsy and amazon.  The prices were roughly equivalent or mosaic was a tiny bit cheaper if you chose the right one.  It takes some leafing through things to find their cheaper ones--and the bigger the size, the more the cost.  That said, the throw size has worked out fine for me.  I think an entire bedspread would be too much.  Mine's the "abstract purple weighted blanket" (info http://www.mosaicweightedblankets.com/abstract-purple-weighted-blanket/).  That's largely because I like the color purple and the simplicity of the design made it cheaper than some of the others. 

For the weight part, they give a chart.  Reportedly the recommendation by OTs is 10% of your body weight approximately, but they reduce that for adults since that would get really, really heavy for some.  I ended up doing 10% of close to my current body weight (I'm around 155 and I did 15 pounds).  After using it, it works, but I possibly could have spared a few pounds (maybe more like 12, which would be 10% of my ideal body weight) in order to save some additional money.

Hope you're able to get one if you end up wanting one for a birthday gift or soething else. 

9 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

Hey melissa,

So it definitely works on the anxiety/sitting around the house piece, which is good enough for me if the sleep part doesn't completely catch up.  But I am hoping that it might!

I went to http://www.mosaicweightedblankets.com/

after poking around at etsy and amazon.  The prices were roughly equivalent or mosaic was a tiny bit cheaper if you chose the right one.  It takes some leafing through things to find their cheaper ones--and the bigger the size, the more the cost.  That said, the throw size has worked out fine for me.  I think an entire bedspread would be too much.  Mine's the "abstract purple weighted blanket" (info http://www.mosaicweightedblankets.com/abstract-purple-weighted-blanket/).  That's largely because I like the color purple and the simplicity of the design made it cheaper than some of the others. 

For the weight part, they give a chart.  Reportedly the recommendation by OTs is 10% of your body weight approximately, but they reduce that for adults since that would get really, really heavy for some.  I ended up doing 10% of close to my current body weight (I'm around 155 and I did 15 pounds).  After using it, it works, but I possibly could have spared a few pounds (maybe more like 12, which would be 10% of my ideal body weight) in order to save some additional money.

Hope you're able to get one if you end up wanting one for a birthday gift or soething else. 

Thanks!  I am checking them out right now.  What dimensions would the throw size be? (Sorry not good with math or eyeballing distances)