CrazyBoards.org

No more hypomania at all?

Since starting my meds in October, I haven't had any real sign of hypomania or even a mixed episode. Is it normal for it to be completely erased with meds? Everyone around here seems to have at least mild symptoms. Or could it just be my normal cycle? Maybe I'm just not hypomanic or mixed yet. I'm wondering what other people's experiences are. Maybe I can figure out what to expect.

I'm not going off my own experience but others I've read here, so possibly not as useful...

ive heard that for a fair number of people, it's easier to treat the up end of the spectrum because meds seem better aimed at targeting it, whereas you always have to be really careful when handling the depressive end.  I'm currently somewhat up, so don't know if that's true, but I could see it being a reasonable guess.

• Like 1

I had a psychotic manic episode on meds.  It can happen. Now I can't get away from this depression, but that's normal for the summer for me. My tdoc always says meds delay and mitigate episodes, not stop them entirely.

3 hours ago, Chantho said:

Since starting my meds in October, I haven't had any real sign of hypomania or even a mixed episode. Is it normal for it to be completely erased with meds? Everyone around here seems to have at least mild symptoms. Or could it just be my normal cycle? Maybe I'm just not hypomanic or mixed yet. I'm wondering what other people's experiences are. Maybe I can figure out what to expect.

I'd call yourself fortunate to not have any real sign of hypomania or a mixed episode after starting your meds last October.  Idk if it is normal or not.  I think it is hard what to expect because everyone is different and deals with what happens when it happens.  I don't think it is anything you can expect (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Mine is not completely erased with meds.  IME ... The meds help keep me fairly stable, so when something happens (hypo or depressed) it isn't to the extreme.  But I still do have the hypo and depression at times.

• Like 1

I haven't had mania in years and just mild depressions.  I have been having some breakthrough symptoms which trouble me because it is unusual for me. They are more psychotic type symptoms. I don't think I have had hypomania for a long time- I have trouble noticing some things.

It can be that you are fortunate and won't have more mod swings.

I sometimes feel like an anomaly because even when I did have manias they weren't very often, they just would last a long time. But, the definition of  rapid cycling (at least what I have read) is 4 mood episodes/year and it seems like many people here cycle much more frequently. I am pretty classic textbook as far as the moodswings, actually. The explanation someone gave me is basically people come and stay on forums when they aren't doing well- so it is a biased sample. 

I am glad to hear you are doing well :)

• Like 1

From October to now is still less than a year. I have been pretty stable on meds, hypomanic when trying to wean down or off meds. That's the thing, I tried to think maybe, since I hadn't been on the manic end for a long time, maybe I really wasn't bipolar. But decreasing the meds too far made me hypomanic, (not to mention things in the past I'd rather ignore), so that theory had to go. The way my meds were, I ran on the edge of depression. Now, with a dose change, I'm a step away from hypo, instead. It's a continuum, as I see it. You are fortunate if you have some balance, but that doesn't mean it's permanent-although I hope it continues for you. 

• Like 1