CrazyBoards.org

Dangerous advice on this [other] website

Note:  You have to sign up as a Christian to post in this forum.

There are people on this forum suggesting that we can flush are meds for Jesus.

If there are any Christians on here that would like to sign up and provide some decent advice to these nuts, I'd love to see it.  It really pisses me off (no offense to Christians).  I'm sure prayer pofides comfort to many, but to suggest it replace medication is absurd!!!!!!!

I am atheist, so I can't do it.

warning: before clicking on the link below you should know that the site has alot of animated .gifs that also flash.  So if you are sensitive to any of that, for any reason, you may not want to click the link.  Sorry.

http://www.christianforums.com/f394-bipolar-disorder.html

[Title clarified.  a.m.]

Well, we don't normally spend much time worrying about what happens on other sites, (ahem).   

Cleanliness (mental) is next to godliness, and I'm in favor of spiritual support, but that website will make any scientific and methodical person wail and gnash their teeth. Kind of a combination of "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" and the idea that religion applied wrongly can be used to justify anything.

I barely made it through one 8 post thread without throwing things.

- Makes me wonderfully appreciated how level headed and open minded the members are here at CB.

A.M.

Guest luli2545

Whew sure am glad for THIS site

Can flush ILLICITLY obtained meds! Used to help patients do that in rehab inpatient! Lots of pretty pills goin round & round down the terlet. Wondered then if the sewer rats were getting stoned or poisoned...

Off topic, oops.

Yeah a.m., open minded forum, this; thank you

well there are some people there who are pretty aware of what is needed (from my viewpoint, naturally) for an MI person. there were people who didn't want to offer diagnoses for people who asked for them. and there were people who reccommended that people get a diagnosis from a doctor and take the meds reccommended to them.

so it wasn't all bad for sure. but wow, i sure wouldn't want to enter that website as an undiagnosed MI person because you could easily be led down a path that wouldn't likely help you very much.

grouse.

Can someone please put a warning up that that website has ALOT of FLASHY animation and moving stuff on it.

Let me clarify why I would appreciate a warning, it's because I have epilepsy.

I have FireFox  with Adblock to block most of Flash objects, but they were using alot of .gifs and I have to block those one by one.

sorry to bitch. 

But yeah, I'm glad for this place too.  Especially after being exposd to all that sutff.

Maddy.

Yeah, that's not a "true" Christian site - it is misleading. If anyone is a Christian and dealing with a mood disorder try reading "Mood Swings" by Meier, Arterburn, and Minirth. It advocates medication and also spirtual growth.

uhhh..

I am from a very strict christian background. Let me tell you that ALOT of people in the church setting believe that medication for depression/bipolar (whatever mental illness) isn't right. Hell alot of those fools don't even believe mental illness exists. For some of them its demon possesion. My own mother doesn't believe i have an illness and the stupid bat thought i was possesed at one point (manic episode).

I believe that God can heal people but i also believe that god gave us brains. You know if you have a gash in your hand that won't stop bleeding, prayer is great and all but GOD wants you to go to the hospital and get the wound stiched up. God didn't make us stupid.

Ahhh people like that get under my skin. They give real christian people a bad name. Not all christians are morons like the people on that site!!

Damn, I poked my head in there this morn.

Aside from rampant dumbness and, erm, "religios arrogance" (? maybe I'll coin that term, or maybe it's not what I really am thinking, dunno), this one guy kept posting how he'd been HEALED and was able to wean off meds thanks to God.

All I could think was: dude, if you're like that in public, NOone's gonna believe you're cured, and oh BTW, how many times a day does someone tell you to see a shrink?

IMO, some of these "Christian" God-alone-has-the=power so Give Up Meds types are basically Scientologists of a different stripe.  And there is no arguing, much less debating, with the truly converted.

Shit, even my fiancee's family isn't as bad as some of those posters.

Hi All,

I looked up that site and either its my headaches or Im developing a new disease - but i couldnt look at all that flashing.

Secondly, I just conversed with my avatar - the virgin mary - and we both agree that site is not very "christian."

for starters christians are suppose to be nice & include everyone. that site is very exclusive.

december & the virgin mary

That site is truly horrifying! There are idiots there who don't even know what Bipolar is! Look at this one:

"Next year there will be a new label invented tri polar. It will also have a supa dupa med for it, and all the psychiatrists will score top points and lurks benefits for pushinbg the new desease and products. Give me a break people. There is no God here at all on this thread. Your God is the meds and the slavery to your doctors. This Bi polar use to be called plain old depression. This was not good enough for the drug companies because they know that depression comes and goes according to the individuals cicumstances.....everyone gets depressed"

So, apparently, we're not bipolar, just depressed, and we just need to pray and pull ourselves together???

Places like this should be banned, along with Intelligent Design and other dagerous quackery.

There are people with mental illnesses such as bipolar and schizophrenia. These people NEED to be on medication. They are not being attacked by demons. They have a chemical imbalance in their brain. your advice is not helpful in their situation!

Alright let's settle down for just a sec..the above post is one I copied from that site..Not EVERYONE in there is a nut job..just because someone or some site calles themselves "Christian" means they are intellegent..It takes all kinds..

I AM a Christian..and I think that site will fill a need for those who are too easily offended to come in here..I mean it does get a little..erm..ripe in here at times..

I personally am not a sunshine and blessings kind of girl so I will stay right here..I am just posting for the sake of balance..I mean it's not like WE are always right on the ball either with some of the advise we give..right?

Hey CNS,

Just out of curiosity, when did Catholics become non-christian? I hear that all the time...and it makes no sense. Coming from a Catholic family I remember the whole believing in Christ being a part of my early teachings. Isn't that what it means to be a Christian? You believe in Christ?

Now, you all didn't go worshipping giant space spiders after I left did you?

OK, I'm not a Christian but a Jew, but I've lived with Christians of all stripes (oh, southern baptists, catholics, mormons, all sorts of protestants) my whole life.  And I know for a fact that most of ya'll are perfectly normal and reasonable.  Fundamentalists, no matter what denomination, is giving religious folks a bad name. 

I believe that God can heal people but i also believe that god gave us brains. You know if you have a gash in your hand that won't stop bleeding, prayer is great and all but GOD wants you to go to the hospital and get the wound stiched up. God didn't make us stupid.

I agree completely.  I ran into this kind of thing in Zen practice, believe it or not.  People tend to think the old "suffering is optional" thing means that you can choose not to feel any kind of pain.  A very wise teacher had to point out that sometimes pain means you need to do something.  The trick is discerning when pain is due to clinging and when it's just pain and needs treatment.

Certainly our culture devalues true spirituality and faith, which causes or worsens a lot of neurosis, since all that's left is a lot of judgmental hooey.  It's unfortunate but hard to do anything about because if you offer faith of any kind to anyone they tend to see you as some kind of whacko.

And I'm a liberal, too.  The religious right folks tend to think that liberals are Godless heathens who hate religioun and lack morals or ethics.  That's just stupid, too.  But what are you gonna do?

Heya,

OK.

Well, as an MD, I either gain or lose credibility when soapboxing about psych meds.

And, as a patient, I could just be grasping at whatever straws appear to have the potential to make things better for me.

Plus, as a recovering Catholic, I'm variously seen as a traitor to "Christians" or a traitor to Catholicism.

Whatever.

Here on CB people take me as I am.

On other sites I feel like I have to fit a certain persona.

Particularly re. the "Christian" label:

That board is dangerous for truly ill people, as many have noted.

When I considered myself Catholic, I always thought (although I don't recall being told) that God gave us the brains to help or hurt ourselves, so it was stupid to have a broken leg and not have it set.  Or, at the risk of sounding flame-worthy, having a 26-week prem at home.

This seemed to me consistent with a lot of other things I was supposed to believe. 

And made me feel superior to/smarter than the non-Catholic, non-Anglican Christians in my town.

I still feel the same about medical treatment.  Although I have respect for people's *faith,* I take serious issue with *beliefs* that preclude sick people from getting medical care.

And, back to the website, a true Christian dialogue would *allow* and not *ban* dissenting opinion.

--ncc--

Hey CNS,

Just out of curiosity, when did Catholics become non-christian? I hear that all the time...and it makes no sense. Coming from a Catholic family I remember the whole believing in Christ being a part of my early teachings. Isn't that what it means to be a Christian? You believe in Christ?

Now, you all didn't go worshipping giant space spiders after I left did you?

Spiders?  No, but for me the snake thing is getting old.  I'm planning to move on to rats.  Besides, space spiders can carry strange bacteria, and I'd rather their bites not mutate me into a cannabilistic hellclown creature.  That gets annoying after the second or third time, y'know.

Anyway, the Christian thing--as mentioned by NARS, I agree the problem is with fundamentals.  They seem to be unable to see past beliefs (prejudices?  nah, couldn't be THAT) and, ahem, to be quick to judge.

Example:  my fiancee's mother said my priest was not a Christian once 'pon a time.  Why?  Dunno, she never even met him.  After talking a bit with my fiancee's bro, I gather they have some... strange ideas about us Catholics...

Shit, might as well bring on the spiders, I guess.  At times I think they'd be more accepting.

Archived