CrazyBoards.org

I've been taking Wellbutrin for about a year. I began with the immediate release version but switched to SR because I kept forgetting to take it. I've been on it for 6 months and it started out fine, but now I fine myself exhausted shortly after taking it. It's not just sleepy, I also feel week, have a constant urge to yawn and feel mentally foggy. This did not happen with the IR version. Has anyone had a similar experience? It does work well for my mood but the exhaustion is very unpleasant and affects my quality of life. I had this experience with another XR med too- adderall. I have ADD and adderall is a life saver in the IR form, but I couldn't tolerate the SR version.

has anyone else experienced this, specifically in SR versions? Does anyone take Wellbutrin IR version with any luck?

3 hours ago, Lauliza said:

I've been taking Wellbutrin for about a year. I began with the immediate release version but switched to SR because I kept forgetting to take it. I've been on it for 6 months and it started out fine, but now I fine myself exhausted shortly after taking it. It's not just sleepy, I also feel week, have a constant urge to yawn and feel mentally foggy. This did not happen with the IR version. Has anyone had a similar experience? It does work well for my mood but the exhaustion is very unpleasant and affects my quality of life. I had this experience with another XR med too- adderall. I have ADD and adderall is a life saver in the IR form, but I couldn't tolerate the SR version.

has anyone else experienced this, specifically in SR versions? Does anyone take Wellbutrin IR version with any luck?

Yes, I have had a very similar experience, except not with adderall.  Just the wellbutrin.

I was on Wellbutrin SR (don't remember the dose) for awhile and I couldn't make it to the end of the day without being exhausted, like you described.  It just wouldn't last for me.  Not really shortly after I took it, although I can understand why that could happen ... because if you are exhausted at the end of the day, the SR might not bring you back up to a level that is helpful that next morning, making you still sleepy, etc, soon after taking it. 

And I just found it to not be as strong as the IR throughout the day ... which was why I was put back on the IR. 

I fine myself exhausted shortly after taking it. It's not just sleepy, I also feel week, have a constant urge to yawn and feel mentally foggy.

^^ This is exactly how I felt at the (almost) end of the day.  Great explanation!

Now, I take IR without a problem.  100 mg 2x/day, but have a 3rd if I need to increase it.

The only things I can think of to help are to ask pdoc for SR in a higher dose, or to go back on the IR as long as you'll remember to take it.  I find the IR much more helpful than the SR with wellbutrin. 

Thank you for the replies. It's nice to know its not just me- I took Wellbutrin the first time about 10 years ago and had the same reaction, just worse. the pdoc I have now said it was likely due to the generic at be time (it's since been taken off the market). He was quite surprised when I told him I still felt this way. He did suggest taking it before bedtime, which I tried, but i still have the same fatigue and weakness no matter when I take it. It's a very odd reaction apparently, I am the only one of his patients to have these side effects. I have a left bundle branch block which makes my heart pump blood slower  (it still ok for me to take stimulants up to a certain dose). However, since extended release versions of adderall and Wellbutrin have the same effect and both IR versions are fine, he suggested that the stimulant effect in extended form was too much for my body to tolerate. So, with all this in mind it seems like the immediate release of both are a little safer for some people. It is hard to remember though, which makes it hard for the meds to do their job!  

Edited by Lauliza