CrazyBoards.org

Adderall

Okay. My sister is giving her four-year-old Adderall. She says she's opening the capsules and putting the 'little balls' into his applesauce or cereal.

Can you do that? She says he's not taking the extended release form, so it's okay to open it up. BUT he's only taking a dose once a day, which doesn't that mean my nephew is either a) not getting enough or B) taking the extended release form?

There's problems if it's the extended release form; the child is also supposed to follow the Defeat Autism Now! protocol for diet and supplements, which includes a digestive enzyme from Kirkman labs that says, right on the bottle, will speed up the absorption of extended release meds. I don't think it's a good idea to risk dumping an all-day dose of amphetamines into the system of a four-year-old!

There's a lot more going on in this situation than just misuse of a med, but that all belongs on another board.

Hi BeckaJo:

Brand Adderall is a tablet, not a capsule.

Adderall XR is a capsule containing beads (little balls). You may open a capsule of Adderall XR and sprinkle the entire contents on a small amount of applesauce, consuming the mixture, which should be swallowed whole, immediately, without chewing the sprinkled beads.

Perhaps someone has seen a generic version of immediate release Adderall in a capsule containing "little balls," but I kinda doubt it...

Best of luck.

Todd.

Immediate release Adderall is in tablets - regardless of whether it's brand or generic. Extended release is only available in brand. And yes, it's generally acceptable practice to open the capsules and sprinkle the contents (as long as they aren't chewed).

The digestive enzyme thing I don't know anything about. Is the child's medical doctor (whoever is prescribing the Adderall) aware that he is taking the supplements?

Immediate release Adderall is in tablets - regardless of whether it's brand or generic. Extended release is only available in brand. And yes, it's generally acceptable practice to open the capsules and sprinkle the contents (as long as they aren't chewed).

The digestive enzyme thing I don't know anything about. Is the child's medical doctor (whoever is prescribing the Adderall) aware that he is taking the supplements?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Todd: Thanks...I'm sure it's the brand Adderall, there doesn't seem to be a generic. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Nice to know that at least it's being given properly.

AirMarshall: Thanks for excerpting the info for me. I admit to giving up on finding what I wanted becuase medicalese makes my head hurt.

Sunshine: I'm certain that the prescribing doctor doesn't know about the enzymes. The prescribing doctor isn't my nephew's regular doc. I'm not even sure if it's a psychiatrist or a G.P. or what doing the prescribing.

This is not good.

Okay. My sister is giving her four-year-old Adderall. She says she's opening the capsules and putting the 'little balls' into his applesauce or cereal.

yeah, that'd be the XR version.  i've done that before when i had a (really) sore throat. 

There's problems if it's the extended release form; the child is also supposed to follow the Defeat Autism Now! protocol for diet and supplements, which includes a digestive enzyme from Kirkman labs that says, right on the bottle, will speed up the absorption of extended release meds. I don't think it's a good idea to risk dumping an all-day dose of amphetamines into the system of a four-year-old!

um.  eek?  i hope you can get your sis to talk to her son's doctor.  about the enzyme and about the supplements.  i think DAN goes overboard with the number of pills they expect kids to take without real evidence that all those pills do anything.  the diet itself seems okay... but she really should talk to a doctor about it.  (it even says so on their website, heh.)

good luck.  you're a good person for looking out for your nephew.

AirMarshall: Thanks for excerpting the info for me. I admit to giving up on finding what I wanted becuase medicalese makes my head hurt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem!  That type is reaaaally small, you have to squint pretty hard to read, and you almost need a medical degree to understand sometimes.

Good luck with your nephew. I agree with the others about being very cautious in adding unknown over the counter additives.

a.m.

Thanks, everyone. This has been really helpful.

Penny Century: Yeah, I think DAN can be a bit, uh, militant at times. But this nephew has a younger brother who is full-blown autistic, and the results we've seen with the supplements, the enzymes, the diet have been nothing short of miraculous. He's potty trained! He doesn't smack himself around any more! And given that the Adderall-nephew had so many symptoms of an autism spectrum disorder, it made sense to put him on the protocol, too.

The DAN protocol helped some, but he still had a hell of a time doing, well, anything. The Adderall is certainly helping: no more problems at school! Increased concentration at home! Less of the antisocial, defiant behaviors that caused so much concern. But I really wish that my sister had tried another drug first. Especially with the concerns over the enzymes, etc. Becuase those showed improvement first.

Oh, yes, we did talk to a doctor about the diet etc. My nephew's regular doc is DAN-certified and even writes prescriptions for the supplements, which right now Medicare (reluctantly) covers. Saves a hell of a lot of money per month. However, this doctor does write scrips for crazy meds; she refers everything to a psychiatrist.

Archived