CrazyBoards.org

What have you been told you can't do because of bipolar?

During one of my hospital stays, I was told by a psychiatrist that I shouldn't have children because I'm likely to have a psychotic manic episode. I was pretty offended... I plan to anyway.

What have people told you that you can't or shouldn't do because of bipolar? And if you've done it anyway, how'd it turn out?

I was told during my second hospitalization that I should change jobs.  Not as in type of field within my profession but as in ditch the profession completely.  Seeing as it wasn't practical (at the time I had three years of student loans), really wasn't what I wanted to do, and contradicted advice I was getting a few other people, I ignored that particular recommendation. 

Strangely, during that hospitalization, they thought I had depression with anxiety.  My true, no questions asked bipolar diagnosis came with hospitalization three, where they didn't make work recommendations whatsoever.  Perhaps the fact that I'd graduated school, passed our licensing exam in two states, and worked for seven years before having another episode was enough to calm that idea?

That said--it's not that strange a concept and might be something I have to consider--once the loans are paid off and I don't need the benefits that come with it!

I was told I shouldn't drive after I was inpatient. This was in the UK. I was supposed to report to the Drivers and Vehicles Licensing Authority about my medical condition.

I never did. I just kept on driving. My social worker tut tutted a bit about it but she never gave me a hard time.

I couldn't live without a car back then. I lived in a village away from my friends and my quality of life would have been highly affected.

I guess I broke the law, but oh well...

3 minutes ago, aura said:

That's pretty random, @Hester. Why no driving?

Bipolar disorder is one of the conditions which is reportable.

I think it's because of the psychosis and also the mania. You are most likely unfit to drive in either of these states.

2 minutes ago, Hester said:

I think it's because of the psychosis and also the mania. You are most likely unfit to drive in either of these states.

Oh that makes sense. I'm a dangerous driver when manic. It's one of the reasons my pdoc pushed for hospitalization the first time. I cut people off and chase them through red lights and speed and am generally a menace to society. Please don't tell the DMV. :P

I have been told that I would always be fat.  I was skinny as a rail all my life.  I only started putting on weight when I started taking Psych Meds.

Also I would like to know if anybody out there that has BP taking Brillitex, sorry I don't know how to spell it.

Thanks for any information I can get.

Maggie2016

11 minutes ago, Maggie2015 said:

I have been told that I would always be fat.  I was skinny as a rail all my life.  I only started putting on weight when I started taking Psych Meds.

Also I would like to know if anybody out there that has BP taking Brillitex, sorry I don't know how to spell it.

Thanks for any information I can get.

Maggie2016

Maggie2016, why don't you start a thread to ask about bipolar and Brintellix?

Related...

Pre-bipolar diagnosis I was told, "You don't belong IP," or "You should be a nurse, therapist, etc."

Believe me, Rude-IP-Staff-Person, if I could be doing a job and not stuck in a hospital, I would be doing it!

1 hour ago, aura said:

Oh that makes sense. I'm a dangerous driver when manic. It's one of the reasons my pdoc pushed for hospitalization the first time. I cut people off and chase them through red lights and speed and am generally a menace to society. Please don't tell the DMV. :P

I've always been kinda worried I just got my permit but I was joking telling my. Husband that I'm unfit to drive I'm so anxious but you can get in trouble for having bipolar an driving?

1 hour ago, Hester said:

That's strange because according to the DVLA you just have to be stable for a certain amount of months. 

(From my consultant) 

Not cured was the worst one.

F#ck bipolar disorder.

Today I woke up about 5 a.m. and thought would be a great idea to make me some coffee.

I manage to ate three apples and it's almost 8 p.m. and I'm pretty much thinking that I hallucinate some stuff and I'm shaking and I'm nauseated.

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts

According to the labels of the meds I take, I am not supposed to drink, even though no one has really told me that I am not supposed to drink.

No one has told me that I should limit my caffeine consumption to a certain amount, even though my current pdoc has been rather concerned about my consumption of massive quantities of caffeine while hypomanic.

My mother worries about whether I will be able to drive while depressed for some reason, but no one has ever told me that I should not drive, even after my telling them that I drive literally like a maniac while hypomanic or manic.

No one has told me that I would not be cured, but I knew this myself and needed no one telling me it.

No one has told me that I even needed to stay on meds, but I learned this one the hard way.

And that is about it.

I was never told not to do anything, but I told people I wasn't doing certain things (READ: driving) because I would be the danger on the road.  I was having seizure activity, anxiety attacks, falling asleep without knowing it, on lots of medications, etc.  And people were asking me to drive.  Like if it was an emergency, they'd be like (depending on who it was) "oh, you don't have (the symptoms I just listed).  It's just this once ..." That specifically was not said, but everyone would ask me to drive "it isn't a long drive" (that was said to me). 

Anyway, the only way I could get these people to leave me alone/off my back was to give up my license and trade it in for a state ID.  Then no one could bother me about it anymore.

4 hours ago, The Right Honourable Jimmy said:

That's strange because according to the DVLA you just have to be stable for a certain amount of months. 

(From my consultant) 

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

I don't know about timescales etc, just what I was told by my care co-ordinator and hospital.

Friends of mine from IP had surrendered their driving licenses.

The above link and other related pages on that site give a bit more info.

Edited by Hester

I would hate to not be able to drive, since that would significantly limit my job choices, and would mean that I would have to rely on my ex to bring our kid to my house. (There is no public transportation between where I live and where I work or where my ex lives, for one.) It seems pretty horrible to say that one cannot drive just because one is mentally ill, for starters.

Edited by Closure