CrazyBoards.org

I think they're pushing for a diagnosis of schizophrenia

As I said, I think they're thinking schizophrenia. I personally don't think so, I don't think my "psychotic" symptoms were anything more than hypervigilance and standard paranoia now. I think I just scared myself into believe I was having a psychotic episode so well I starting thinking of psychotic like things, true hypochondria style. And the voices I hear? Might as well be me putting my ear next to a glass and listening intently for anything "voice"-like. 

I truly believe I could get off risperidone and be completely fine.

I know why my social worker is thinking schizophrenia though, it's the negative symptoms. Mainly my lack of motivation to do things like booking driving lessons or looking for work. The thing is though is that I've always been like that, it was like that when I left school nine years ago and it like it now, doing things truly is hard work for me. I don't know why, sometimes I think I suffer from a condition not know to science. Transition phases in life are just a buggery for me, I'm okay once things are moving, it's just getting things going that's the trouble.

I think it's severe depression, anxiety of some type, Asperger's syndrome and a side of tics. That's all. 

On 7/12/2016 at 2:45 PM, Southern Discomfort said:

I think I just scared myself into believe I was having a psychotic episode

are you still under this impression?

On 7/12/2016 at 2:45 PM, Southern Discomfort said:

I truly believe I could get off risperidone and be completely fine.

it is not advisable to just stop taking meds, especially if it is an antipsychotic. Because if you do actually experience psychotic episodes then they will possibly present itself and you will have an episode you either can't cope with or is so extreme you end up in IP. That is what happened to me.

There are other Dx to explore as well. I am not saying you are wrong, I am not saying you are right. I am saying you are at a place to discover, safely, if you are experiencing psychosis. Do you have a pdoc? If you do not then I would advise researching that. 

7 minutes ago, dancingphantom said:

are you still under this impression?

it is not advisable to just stop taking meds, especially if it is an antipsychotic. Because if you do actually experience psychotic episodes then they will possibly present itself and you will have an episode you either can't cope with or is so extreme you end up in IP. That is what happened to me.

There are other Dx to explore as well. I am not saying you are wrong, I am not saying you are right. I am saying you are at a place to discover, safely, if you are experiencing psychosis. Do you have a pdoc? If you do not then I would advise researching that. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm torn on the subject really. Some things could be explained by normal circumstances, other's maybe not. I was having paranoid thoughts long before I became self aware but it did blow up when I did realise I was having these thoughts. But I did begin to react badly to a medication at the time.

I don't plan to stop taking medication and I don't mean to imply that. In fact after meeting with my psychiatrist today I'm in agreement to start another one and go down in dose for risperidone. And the risperidone is having a positive effect on my behaviour too so I don't particularly want to stop it.

At the very least I'm willing to stay on it for three years. Which would cover me for a good amount of time for any possible psychosis to stop. Most people in my peer support group have been on and off medication, some moved on positively after early intervention with first time psychosis. Hell, one member who has schizoaffective is only on venlafaxine now.

• Like 1