CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone know of any med that works like Zyprexa but doesn't cause the weight gain? I've gained about 30lbs since going on it maybe 4ish months ago, and I absolutely hate how heavy I am and how fat I feel...but the thing is, Zyprexa is the gold standard for me and I keep ending up back on it because of that. I'm seeing my psychiatrist on Thursday and I'm hoping to possibly have ideas by then and talk to her about the weight gain. I've been looking into Saphris, Rexulti, Vraylar and Invega. Vraylar seems like it best fits my needs, but of course, you can't know until you try.

Anyone have any experiences with these medications? I have BP II, mostly depressive states. I also take lamictal, klonopin, wellbutrin, buspar and seroquel. I know it's a lot, and I'm actually going to talk to my doctor about feeling over-medicated, but at the same time, I've never been this stable before, so it's a bit of a catch 22.

ETA: I've already been on Latuda and Geodon. Latuda pooped out on me on 40mg and we tried going higher in dose but my body couldn't handle it. Geodon was weiggt neutral but it gave me a horrible tremor. I've also been on Abilify which was a bust...

Edited by lildropofsunshine

I'm currently on Zyprexa and having real troubles with my weight also.

Because of that, my pdoc wants to try me on Latuda, which she seems to think will work as good as Zyprexa, without the dreaded side effects.

I don't have experience of any of the drugs you mention except Invega. It gave me TD at higher doses so I wasn't on it long.

I'm just waiting for an insurance go ahead and then I'll be on the Latuda. Maybe one to think about too?

I can let you know how I get on with it once I'm taking it.

5 hours ago, Hester said:

I'm currently on Zyprexa and having real troubles with my weight also.

Because of that, my pdoc wants to try me on Latuda, which she seems to think will work as good as Zyprexa, without the dreaded side effects.

I don't have experience of any of the drugs you mention except Invega. It gave me TD at higher doses so I wasn't on it long.

I'm just waiting for an insurance go ahead and then I'll be on the Latuda. Maybe one to think about too?

I can let you know how I get on with it once I'm taking it.

Latuda is a great drug! I was on it for awhile (about a year) but then 40mg pooped out on me and my body couldn't handle a higher dose; Thanks for the suggestion and good luck! IMO Latuda is inferior to Zyprexa, but it works pretty well and doesn't cause weight gain.

• 4 weeks later...

Because Zyprexa works so fast and effectively, it's possible for some people to take it PRN, which can obviate the side effect problems. I went off of Abilify a little while ago, because it made my hair fall out, but it was otherwise a good drug, and I actually lost a lot of weight on it (65 pounds). I'm back on Zyprexa PRN now, and I'm once again very impressed by how well it works that way. But because I only take it when I'm going psychotic or manic/mixed, I don't have the kind of stability that I had on daily Abilify. There always seem to be tradeoffs with psych meds, especially the ones that work. finding the right balance can be tricky.