CrazyBoards.org

I've been trying to google this but didn't come up with much valid information. Since I've gained a few kgs since starting lithium I'm looking for something that could keep my metabolism going and control my hunger. I absolutely cannot go on a diet (old eating disorder lurking around...).

I figured, since this stuff isn't psychoactive, it can't really hurt, right? In worst case, I lost some money. Not that it's really expensive anyways. And I love the taste too.

Anyone got any first-hand experience or links?

In the 1960s, in the Health Food movement of the time, apple cider vinegar was touted for everything. I'm surprised that it still is, though I guess it shouldn't be too surprising really.

I chugged some down everyday back then. I honestly can't remember it doing a thing, though it probably didn't hurt. I wasn't specifically taking it metabolism and hunger control.

I was trying to remember the book that was so popular back then, which especially raved about apple cider vinegar, so I googled "apple cider vinegar" and "book" -- got 569,000 results, many of which seem to be about weight loss.

Turns out the book I remembered was Folk Medicine (1958), by Dr. D. C. Jarvis.

Here's a more scientific look at it: The sour truth about apple cider vinegar - evaluation of therapeutic use

I'm guessing it is going to be difficult, if not truly impossible, to find any valid info supporting this theory. On the other hand if you want to try it, as you say, it will probably do no harm.

PS -

You probably already know this, but just in case: the trick to google (or any search engine) is in creating phrases like "apple cider vinegar" to use within a search. You can do this either by using the quotation marks around the phrase, or by going to google's advanced search page: http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en. So with the example above, the search would look like this: "apple cider vinegar" book

Helena:

Are you able to do any yoga?  The shoulder stand and other postures where your body is inverted send the blood up to your head and neck, and stimulate the thyroid gland.  I have always found that yoga gets my metabolism going if I do it consistently.

My husband got into drinking vinegar every day after reading about it.  Never did a thing for him, but I figured at the time that it was a harmless thing to try.

olga

Yeah, I know how to google but I still couldn't find much that wasn't "oh this is so great but we don't have any evidence for it...".

Yoga, hmm, my local gym offers yoga classes (poweryoga) but I've always been to lazy to go. I should do it though. And if it actually helps your metabolism, one more reason to go.

I think I'm gonna continue taking it, since I love the taste and it isn't really damaging. And never underestimate the placebo effect!!

Yeah, I know how to google but I still couldn't find much that wasn't "oh this is so great but we don't have any evidence for it..."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Helena:

That's what I thought you probably meant. Hope I didn't come off as condescending. ;)

I also couldn't find anything that wasn't of the "Oh, gee whiz...this is so wonderful, but we have no facts..." category.

Archived