CrazyBoards.org

For how many years can u stay on the same antipsychotic

Ok so i  have been like 6 years on zyprexa 7.5 mg had to come off recently because i gained too much weight with it and it has worsened my ocd..right now im on geodon and i feel really stable i take it with zoloft...my ocd begins to subside..and my mood is pretty stable... so is it possible to stay on same antipsychotic for life or u have to change/ increase the dosage?

I can only speak for myself. I have been on the same antipsychotic for 12 years (seroquel) except for a few months when I was trying to go off it due to weight gain (did not go well).

I also tried Ability for a few months too but didn't like it so went back on Seroquel. So I have been on the same antipsychotic for the most part over the last 12 years.

Like rowan, I've been on seroquel for more than a decade.  If I recall correctly, I was started on the IR version around 2003/4.  That dosage went up to 1000mg/day before we decided to switch to the XR - I've been on 600mg of that since January 2012.  I pretty much consider it the mainstay of my drug regimen, and it's not something either my previous or current pdoc has considered dropping. 

I'm also currently on clozapine, but we're working on dropping it and ending up with a cocktail of seroquel XR, gabapentin, lithium and clonazepam - it's a slow process though.

1 hour ago, bigbangaz said:

yeah i understand but my question is it possible to stay on the same antipsychotic for life if u like it i mean without increasing dosage?

What my doc said was along these lines; medication can fluctuate just like life fluctuates, sometimes we are not equipped at that moment with our coping toolbox and other skills and life takes us for a ride.  talking with your pdoc before changing anything is really important, then you can adjust the meds accordingly. I recently had to up my Abilify because life decided to be really hard all of the sudden and I was having trouble coping. As soon as I balance back out and my toolbox is back in working order I will drop back down to my normal dose and use my coping tools to balance that out. During all of this I have scheduled regular appointments with my doc and I always keep them in the loop of my progress. 

I do believe that you could stay on the same dosage for the rest of your life if it is working for you, and if so, congrats that is pretty awesome.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bigbangaz said:

yeah i understand but my question is it possible to stay on the same antipsychotic for life if u like it i mean without increasing dosage?

Hard to tell because I am not at the end of my life (not sarcasm or joking).  All I can say is that I have been on Abilify for 13 years, max at 45 mg, finally to 30 mg, and it hasn't changed since. 

Actually I think it would be hard to tell if a single dose could be for life realistically because who knows what the future is going to be like.  Anything can happen.  What if another one of your meds needed adjusted?  Would that cause the anti-psych med to need tweaking also? 

I like what dancinghantom has to say too in above post.