CrazyBoards.org

When life is just blah...how do i get excited again?

I have no interest in doing anything fun ever - if I could just lay in bed and watch Netflix and play games, I would.

I burned myself out a little last month working my part-time job and a contract as well, and took some of this month off to catch up on "life" so I'm just working my part-time job, which is very "cool" and in theory fun and very exciting. Or, at least it used to be. I work in the creative industry and the journalism industry. Both very intellectually stimulating in different ways. And, I'm a workaholic. I will fully admit that.

But I can't even get excited about going to work anymore. Let alone excited about "life" stuff. I have a cool boyfriend, a fairly cool life - my part-time job and the occasional freelance gig give me 2 weekdays a week off and a three day weekend almost every weekend, but I just don't feel like I can be bothered to do anything.

I have sleep issues too and I just want to sleep. But I'm too tired to get dressed up and go anywhere and furthermore I just don't care.

How do I turn life back into a series of "everyday celebration" moments? Or at least moments worth getting out of bed for besides the fact that bills have to be paid?

What you wrote sounds like when I am in a depression. 

1 hour ago, yellowlovesgray said:

How do I turn life back into a series of "everyday celebration" moments? Or at least moments worth getting out of bed for besides the fact that bills have to be paid?

I don't have much advice except that when I am feeling like this, like what you wrote, I have to ride it out.  Nothing that I have found (at least not yet) has gotten me to the point of waking up looking forward to the day like I used to on an every day basis.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help right now.

I agree with melissa that it sounds a whole lot like depression.  Do you feel like you're currently in a depressive state?  If not, what aspects make you feel otherwise?  If so, are you able to access any supports for it? 

Treating the underlying depression (if that's what it is) is likely what would bring you back...though the fact that you can still identify things that you "should" enjoy I think might be a promising side...once you get all the way down into nothing at all seeming interesting whatsoever, it frequently seems like there isn't even something you "should" be liking.  Not that it's good to should on yourself, as a therapist once said, but it might be a sign that you're a bit more up than the absolute bottom. 

I agree with the other replies, it sounds like depression. Sometimes sitting with the emotions and letting them run their course is all you can do. It takes time as well, even after the depression has lifted and you are feeling better it will still take a little time to raise your joy levels again. 

2 hours ago, yellowlovesgray said:

How do I turn life back into a series of "everyday celebration" moments?

I am unsure how to get life back to a state of 'everyday celebration', I also believe that is false in of itself. Everyday is not going to be a wonderful day, that is just how life tends to be. However, you can always practice positive affirmation statements and optimistic phrases to begin your day, which will help plant the seeds of a good day. 

I am sorry I could not offer more suggestions. Depression is one of those hard things that has many different methods of working with, everyone is different.

I hope that peace finds you today. 

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like I've been in a depressive state for years now. :( I forgot what normal feels like. I have some chronic health issues that might be making it worse, like a thyroid condition, autoimmune disease and some other stuff we're trying to figure out, and I'm just exhausted all the time and my body just hurts. I'm unable to work full time right now but I have a small online business and a part time job that in theory I love. When I'm healthy I'm very good at what I do, but I just feel stuck right now. Nothing is working or helping, I'm just coping day to day and have been for so long now. It affects my work, my relationships, and j had to drop out of graduate school, :( 

I think you should tell your psychiatrist all about this. Maybe he/she can come up with a solution. For me, Abilify helps with the symptoms you describe. I'm not saying it will help you, and there are other, newer alternatives to Abilify like Rexulti and Vraylar that work similarly but supposedly with fewer side effects. But you've got to take the initiative or else you can spend years in this state. Believe me, I know.

9 hours ago, yellowlovesgray said:

I feel like I've been in a depressive state for years now. :( I forgot what normal feels like. I have some chronic health issues that might be making it worse, like a thyroid condition, autoimmune disease and some other stuff we're trying to figure out, and I'm just exhausted all the time and my body just hurts. I'm unable to work full time right now but I have a small online business and a part time job that in theory I love. When I'm healthy I'm very good at what I do, but I just feel stuck right now. Nothing is working or helping, I'm just coping day to day and have been for so long now. It affects my work, my relationships, and j had to drop out of graduate school, :( 

Your thyroid can definitely have an effect on energy level, especially if it is hypothyroid.  Here is one of many articles I found on it:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/05/06/what-is-thyroid-related-fatigue.aspx

Thyroid-related fatigue begins to appear when you cannot sustain energy long enough, especially when compared to a past level of fitness or ability. If your thyroid foundation is weak, sustaining energy output is difficult. You will notice you just don’t seem to have the energy to do the things you used to be able to do.

Some of the key symptoms of thyroid fatigue include:

• Feeling like you don’t have the energy to exercise, and typically not exercising on a consistent basis.
  • A heavy or tired head, especially in the afternoon, as your head is a very sensitive indicator of thyroid hormone status.
  • Falling asleep as soon as you sit down and don’t have to do anything.

Yeah I have an appointment next week....they think that my T3 is low but I've only been taking T4. We'll see.

In the meantime I've done some shopping to make myself feel a little bit more interested in getting ready in the morning and got a haircut, but I've picked up an odd habit...

I know it's going to catch up with me one day...but I've started, like, stealing things. Nothing huge. Tiny things. A bracelet here, a necklace there....it's the only time I feel anything at all. I know I need to stop.

13 hours ago, yellowlovesgray said:

I know it's going to catch up with me one day...but I've started, like, stealing things. Nothing huge. Tiny things. A bracelet here, a necklace there....it's the only time I feel anything at all. I know I need to stop.

You're right ... you need to stop before you get arrested for shoplifting.

It sounds to me like an impulsive thing when you steal things.  Like an impulsive urge.  Are you on any medication that helps you with that?

I also have impulsive urges to do things that I know if I did them I would be screwed.  Fortunately I am able to hold back from acting on them.  I think I can do that because I am able to think ahead really fast what the consequences would be if I did not hold myself back from the impulsive (thing) that I want to act on.

Does this sound similar to what it feels like to you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...