CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone else get anxiety about everything at the start of a psychotic episode, about things unrelated to delusions? I start to get unbearably nervous about driving, bills and housework. Is there some way to relieve it that you know of?

I usually get anxiety about everything at the start of everything, and can be related to, or not, anything.  For me it doesn't have to be related to a psychotic episode starting or not.

Sometimes for me the only way to get rid of the anxiety (about doing whatever) is to somehow just start doing it ... it is still very anxiety-producing to do that, BUT ...  it is even more anxiety producing just sitting and thinking about it.

Otherwise things just get done little by little.  Sometimes I actually feel the "want," or the drive, in me to actually want to get something done or go somewhere.  When this happens (where I am looking forward to feeling like I totally want to do something/go somewhere) I take full advantage of it and get done as much as possible that I need/want to do.

I have separate anxiety disorder and I'm just basically always anxious about everything and anything. I can't say it means an upcoming psychotic episode for me. It's just always there. I'm better with medication for anxiety (klonopin and seroquel help me). But it's still a beast I battle every day. Without klonopin I'm not functional as in I can't leave the house or drive (hell that is hard enough with klonopin in place). Maybe you could ask your pdoc about a prn anxiety med like klonopin or the rest? Just an idea to discuss with your dr. Hope that helps. 

Cheese has a good idea about a PRN anti-anxiety med.  Maybe if you had one you could avoid the anxiety at the start of an episode?  Assuming you ask, if your pdoc says no to benzos, maybe ask for propranolol ... it is a beta blocker but still helps with anxiety among other things.  I take that more often than PRN.  Doesn't make me sleepy or anything.