Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

I hope this is the right section...sorry...I never make posts lol. 

So I applied for McDonalds a few hours ago and got a call like 30 minutes ago about an interview. I was panicking so hard my chest hurt and I couldn't think straight. I fucked up by agreeing to one for tomorrow instead of trying to haggle for tuesday. I was freaking out so I just agreed with what ever. I have no way to get there besides my Mom or brother driving me. So unforuntately I have to settle for my brother...and I really don't want him to drive me....Agh. I'm scared to walk in and tell someone I have an interview. I know it's just mcdonalds but I've never had a job due to my mental issues. 

So what I'm basically asking for is any tips or maybe experiences from people here who have been interviewed there. I know it's a fast paced evironment with a lot of small tasks to do and frankly I think I'd be terrible at it but I was desperate.  

Edited by MooMeMa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I worked there twice over my college years, so it was a while ago now but I have a few things to say.

I had anxiety a lot at that time in my life but it's not an overly demanding job so it was okay. Lots of little jobs and light physical work so it keeps you buy, which is good. Time goes quick!

Working at McDonalds was actually FUN, theres lots of younger people there and everyone pulls together when it gets busy and there is good camaraderie. Plus you get free meals, if you're into McDs.

The interview is a stock interview that every body gets, and it is quite simple. They employ people from all walks of life and they NEED staff so it's more of a hoop to jump through than a real test. They want you, just remember that!

From what I remember there are some questions where you have to give examples of when you have been in a certain situation and what you did. Try and think about when you have been in a situation with an unhappy customer and what you did. (Just make a situation up and make it sound good - you stayed calm, spoke to them politely, listened to them - you can relate it to a fallout with a friend or something instead if you haven't worked) Also maybe try to think about what good customer service is - they are all about that - so, smiling, making the customer feel no 1, listening. These are just guesses on questions but they will most probably ask you this kind of stuff. Also think about 'why do you want to work here' - think up something positive.

They might ask "tell me about you" - lots of interviews start like that as an ice breaker. So try and think of maybe 2 or 3 things to say. It will help you feel less nervous to memorize some stuff. So I'd be like: I'm Hester, I live with my husband in Dundee, and I volunteer at Goodwill once a week. Thats just an example, but try and come up with something, anything, as a little speech you can give.

I'm trying to think of more stuff.... of course I can't guarantee what they'll ask you but this all has a good chance.

If you want any more help or want to clarify anything you can post but also please feel free to IM me any time this evening!

I know you're feeling nervous - that is so natural - I am v nervous about interviews too. It won't be a difficult one though, as they go, and I have faith you can do it!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't help with the interview piece, but I can say that someone from my high school really appreciated working there and found it to be a good fit for her.  She found it just moving around enough to keep busy/not get bored, but not so much so that she'd get overwhelmed.  She didn't do it long-term, but it was a good temporary one for her.  She also liked that most of the supervisors, managers, etc., had all come from within and been in her position before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hester said:

I worked there twice over my college years, so it was a while ago now but I have a few things to say.

I had anxiety a lot at that time in my life but it's not an overly demanding job so it was okay. Lots of little jobs and light physical work so it keeps you buy, which is good. Time goes quick!

Working at McDonalds was actually FUN, theres lots of younger people there and everyone pulls together when it gets busy and there is good camaraderie. Plus you get free meals, if you're into McDs.

The interview is a stock interview that every body gets, and it is quite simple. They employ people from all walks of life and they NEED staff so it's more of a hoop to jump through than a real test. They want you, just remember that!

From what I remember there are some questions where you have to give examples of when you have been in a certain situation and what you did. Try and think about when you have been in a situation with an unhappy customer and what you did. (Just make a situation up and make it sound good - you stayed calm, spoke to them politely, listened to them - you can relate it to a fallout with a friend or something instead if you haven't worked) Also maybe try to think about what good customer service is - they are all about that - so, smiling, making the customer feel no 1, listening. These are just guesses on questions but they will most probably ask you this kind of stuff. Also think about 'why do you want to work here' - think up something positive.

They might ask "tell me about you" - lots of interviews start like that as an ice breaker. So try and think of maybe 2 or 3 things to say. It will help you feel less nervous to memorize some stuff. So I'd be like: I'm Hester, I live with my husband in Dundee, and I volunteer at Goodwill once a week. Thats just an example, but try and come up with something, anything, as a little speech you can give.

I'm trying to think of more stuff.... of course I can't guarantee what they'll ask you but this all has a good chance.

If you want any more help or want to clarify anything you can post but also please feel free to IM me any time this evening!

I know you're feeling nervous - that is so natural - I am v nervous about interviews too. It won't be a difficult one though, as they go, and I have faith you can do it!!

 

That was really helpful and much appreciated! I'l definitely have to start thinking of some fake scenarios lol. 

1 hour ago, dancesintherain said:

I can't help with the interview piece, but I can say that someone from my high school really appreciated working there and found it to be a good fit for her.  She found it just moving around enough to keep busy/not get bored, but not so much so that she'd get overwhelmed.  She didn't do it long-term, but it was a good temporary one for her.  She also liked that most of the supervisors, managers, etc., had all come from within and been in her position before. 

This makes me feel a lot better. ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before I ever went into a job interview, I'd sit down and have a talk with myself about how it would not be the end of the world if I didn't get the job and about how it's not the last job I would interview for. This is not setting myself up for failure. It is taking a burden off my mind so I wouldn't freak out thinking my life depended on this one job.

I think having the interview tomorrow is much better than on Tuesday because it gives you less time to work yourself up with anxiety. The key is to try to remain calm and you will do fine. As Hester said, they need YOU. They are looking for reasons to hire you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jt07 said:

I think having the interview tomorrow is much better than on Tuesday because it gives you less time to work yourself up with anxiety. The key is to try to remain calm and you will do fine. As Hester said, they need YOU. They are looking for reasons to hire you.

^^ I agree about having the interview tomorrow instead of Tuesday.  You won't be sitting with the anxiety until Tuesday; just a day, and even then you can maybe use the day and that anxiety energy to think of what Hester had to say (a couple posts above) in terms of what might happen in the interview and what you might be asked.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jt07 said:

Before I ever went into a job interview, I'd sit down and have a talk with myself about how it would not be the end of the world if I didn't get the job and about how it's not the last job I would interview for. This is not setting myself up for failure. It is taking a burden off my mind so I wouldn't freak out thinking my life depended on this one job.

I think having the interview tomorrow is much better than on Tuesday because it gives you less time to work yourself up with anxiety. The key is to try to remain calm and you will do fine. As Hester said, they need YOU. They are looking for reasons to hire you.

 

True about it being better today than tuesday. I definitely would have been freaking out really bad. I'll have to work up a good pep talk now. ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've worked in fast food, some bad, some good, never at McD's though. I live in Canada and they're considered one of the number one employers in the country due to how they treat their employees, pay, job satisfaction, moving up, benefits (drug, dental, as healthcare is free here)

A few of my friends worked at McD's and stayed there throughout college. They would schedule around their classes and were very accommodating, and they enjoyed it. 

I get nervous before any job interview. Try not to be nervous. Be polite, speak clearly and at a good volume, be friendly, ask questions (they like that at any job) and just treat it as a chat with someone. They're obviously very interested if they got back so fast. A lot of interview questions are "What would you bring to the company?" "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" "Why do you want to work here" (I find buttering them up by saying I knew someone/was recommended by someone that spoke highly of them) Stuff like that. You can find a lot of standard interview questions through Google, but those are the ones I get most often. (Just finished trade school, been interviewing a lot!)

Good luck! Don't panic. Just take some deep breaths. They'll probably offer you a pop or something to drink - my mouth gets dry from meds so I always politely say yes and thank them.

Basically, just go in with a good attitude and good manners. Smile, shake their hand. Just be polite. I come off a bit shy at first interviews (nerves!!!) so when they ask about a weakness I'll say "I'm a bit shy at first, but I adjust and settle in well quickly". Throw a positive spin on it. 

Wishing you the best.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saying another thanks to the people who gave me advice. It helped me out a lot. To summarise how it went, I'd say I did surprisingly well. My anxiety level evened out after I stood outside for 10-15 minutes to gather my thoughts. The man interviewing me seemed really nice and chill. When he asked if I finished school I said no and may have word vomitted a little by saying it was a hard time in my life but he was all "Oh no that's okay. I didn't either."

I think I probably got the job. He asked when I could start and at the end said the manager would call me in a couple days. I got lucky because they need grill/cooking people and closing shift folks which are both exactly what I wanted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MooMeMa said:

Just saying another thanks to the people who gave me advice. It helped me out a lot. To summarise how it went, I'd say I did surprisingly well. My anxiety level evened out after I stood outside for 10-15 minutes to gather my thoughts. The man interviewing me seemed really nice and chill. When he asked if I finished school I said no and may have word vomitted a little by saying it was a hard time in my life but he was all "Oh no that's okay. I didn't either."

I think I probably got the job. He asked when I could start and at the end said the manager would call me in a couple days. I got lucky because they need grill/cooking people and closing shift folks which are both exactly what I wanted. 

Well done for getting through it!

I was grill and closing shift and I loved it (much as you can love a job)

Fingers crossed for you then!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...