CrazyBoards.org

do you behave?

When I start getting hypomanic, like right now, I know I'm supposed to get plenty of sleep and not overwork and not overspend and not over-do things generally. But I just never do that. I feel good right now and I want to do what I want to do. I don't have a PRN for hypomania, so I have nothing chemical to take.

When you're getting hypomanic, do you "behave" by doing things that will mitigate the elevation (behavioral changes, PRNs, stuff like that)?

If anyone knows me on this board, you know I've been depressed for a while, and you also know up leads to down and yet I still can't get myself to behave rationally. Is that just a symptom? How can I fix this if I don't have the will to fix it?

I was depressed for 6 months, and it was a doozy of an episode. So now, when I start to show signs that I'm going up, I don't do anything to stop it. In fact, I've even tried to encourage it by staying up late. So I definitely don't behave. I should, though, since I remember what my last mixed episode was like, and I want to avoid that.

When hypo or manic I frequently drink excessive quantities of caffeine for the express purpose of making my mood even higher. I also will stay up very late unless I specifically have something to do the coming morning. I have even had urges to restart my escitalopram when hypo, which would make my mood even higher, but I have managed to resist these.

However I have been actually cutting my caffeine intake and trying to maintain a decent bedtime on work nights when I am hypo recently. This is because I know I will likely crash in the middle of the night and then wake up early, and I want to make sure I can function on the amount of sleep I will actually get come morning.

So far, I haven't gotten the good sides of hypo or mania.  With the mania, the psychosis came attached pretty much as soon as I had any recognition that the mania was happening.  With the hypo, I think I've landed in dysphoric land because I certainly don't get many of the nice things.  I get the pressured speech, verbosity, tangential thinking, and a few other things--but none of the things you really want to hold onto.  The world isn't beautiful and shiny and I don't want to be a part of it anymore.  (still safe)

So that's a long way of saying--as of now, I behave.  Because I don't see any other way out.  It might be harder for me to do so if I was actually getting some of the more enjoyable components.  I can see how letting go of that would be hard.  But trying to get rid of what I'm currently going through is not hard in the slightest. 

I do try my best to behave. I'm not perfect and have been guilty of trying to exacerbate manic or hypomanic symptoms in the past.

But my illness now includes euphoric mania that turns into mixed territory with very scary and life threatening/altering psychosis. Basically I do shit that ruins my life even more than I've already experienced. I basically don't even have a life anymore. Then of course after a while in mixed territory I do end up severely depressed and psychotic too most of the time.

So, while euphoric mania starts out as feeling amazing for me, it never results in anything amazing. In fact, it's the exact opposite of amazing. That brief week or few weeks of euphoria is never worth the aftermath IME. I'd never wish mania (at least my experiences with it) on my worst enemy. It's too destructive, and that's putting it very mildly. Ymmv of course. I've had too many horrid consequences from being manic. No matter how amazing I felt initially.

I take my dose before going to bed so often in the evening my mood is higher than the rest of the day. Last week I skipped my meds and did not sleep the whole night. I was shattered the next day, felt like I had jetlag. I won't be doing that again in a hurry!