CrazyBoards.org

is sleeping through the night (or waking up one) too much?

Starting to wonder if sleeping through the night--or even only waking up once or twice--is too much to ask.  The pattern from at least the past week and possibly two weeks is that I've been going to bed around 9:30/10:00 (both bored and also fairly exhausted from doing nothing).  I then wake up somewhere between 12 and 1; somewhere between about 3:00 and 3:30; somewhere around 5:30 or 6; and then either I get up then or give myself until 7:30/8, at which point I'm pretty much without hope of getting anything more.  So although I'm technically trying to sleep for a good 10 hours, I'm not getting much at all.  I also end up having to get out of bed because the restlessness is too much for me to just stay in bed.  I try to do something calming, like poke around on the fluffier (non-news) aspects of facebook, make some tea, play a mindless game, etc., and to make it back to bed as quickly as I can.  But sometimes it's 30-45 minutes before I can come close to sleeping again. 

I'm either in a mixed episode or I'm in some dysphoric hypomanic crap.  I somewhat care what it's called, but only because I want to understand it better.  for purposes of this mess, I couldn't give two shits and just want some ideas at a solution.

My guess is this will be pharmaceutical in nature.  [side note--have done the sleep study, bloodwork, etc., so being tired all day after it is normal and not seemingly physically-related.]  but I don't know what to try at this point.  The seroquel I'm currently taking is helping but obviously not sufficient...and I don't think my pdoc (or I) are thrilled by the possibility of an increase when I've already gained a good 5-7 pounds in three weeks.  We're probably trying to head the opposite direction on that one.  And the lower doses don't put me to sleep any better than the current 200mg.  Some of it's probably mood-related, but we've played with lamictal and abilify recently and the seroquel the week before that.  I could ditch the seroquel and add something new, but I honestly can't come up with a sleep-related drug that I haven't tried that also isn't an anti-depressant (the perspective of IP pdoc...I don't know about mine) other than hydroxyzine, which my pdoc mentioned previously.  I'm willing to try something new, but trying to see if there are any other options out there also. 

Any suggestions on other meds to try?  My signature lists a lot of the failed efforts if you can see it, but I can give more info if helpful.  I'm open to anything--this waking up four times in a night and only sleeping for two hour stints is beyond annoying. 

2 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

-this waking up four times in a night and only sleeping for two hour stints is beyond annoying. 

I totally get this.  I have been having the same problem for years.  I sleep anywhere from 1 hour to maybe 3-4 hours on average, but I have gotten lucky with 6,7 or 8 hours in a row a few times.  Those don't happen enough though to make anything qualify for good sleep for me.

No meds have helped me make this better, but I hope you find something that helps you.  My crappy sleep started as a side effect of a med, and when I went off that med this side effect never left.  Since 2006 ... and I'm nervous that my brain might have re-wired itself to stay like this because it has been such a long time.  Although if I stretch my mind a little for a possible suggestion, maybe ask for an EEG? ... sometimes you never know what it might (or might not) find.

*I know you had a sleep study done already but thought I'd share what they said to me, maybe you can relate ...

Not saying I agree with this outcome, but this what happened:    I had a sleep study done to see if the odd hours and restless sleeping meant anything to be diagnosed, and the results were that I was getting sleep just fine.  And even though I was waking up all the time, I was told that there was nothing wrong and that my sleep went through all the cycles.  (Which I don't know how all the cycles could be seen in the number of times I woke up).  Tested sleep apnea (negative).  I was like WTF???  I know those results said what they did, but in terms of how I felt, I don't even remember what it feels like to feel refreshed in the morning for over 10 years now.  I never feel totally awake, and be able to make it through the day unless I am hypo.

Anyway, to answer your question ... the only thing that helps me sleep is taking muscle relaxers when I am exhausted.  Then I usually sleep about 4-5 hours.  Not every night, but at least I get a "good" night in there here and there.  Also, I find when I lay down that my mind won't shut off, and it continues to race with thoughts coming out of nowhere.  If I cant stop those thoughts and even when I get them at least to a minimum (by focusing on another noise), I take a xanax (0.5-1 mg) and that seems to really help sometimes.

I really hope you find something that helps.

Thanks melissa for the commiseration and ideas.  I'm sorry you're stuck dealing with this also.

I know those results said what they did, but in terms of how I felt, I don't even remember what it feels like to feel refreshed in the morning for over 10 years now.  I never feel totally awake, and be able to make it through the day unless I am hypo.

Agreed.  And even hypo, I can't really because I somehow manage to still be tired, which makes no sense to me.  It's supposed to be one of the sole benefits of being hypo!

Because my sleep study results were so messed up, I was given an ActWatch which my neuro referred to as a "poor man's sleep study."  It doesn't do all the funky things, but it does measure when you're asleep and when you're awake...idea being if I was waking and sleeping and waking and sleeping it would have picked up on it.  That came back fine.  The neuro was willing to try to get insurance approval for a second go at the lab, but I didn't think it would go any better b/c it was mostly anxiety related to the test that screwed up the results initially.

The problem I have right now is that the episode of whatever the fuck is causing the really severe disturbance above.  I honestly can't figure out why they didn't try to straighten it out while I was IP, unless they didn't know about it.  I guess there's a tiny chance it wasn't as bad, but I think I remember a similar problem.  My hope is that once this episode passes and goes the fuck away, my sleep will return to "normal," which while it is not restorative, it is at least consistently through most nights.

I did call my pdoc and leave a non-emergency message asking if he had any availability for a Tuesday appointment (instead of waiting until Friday) for this issue plus the restlessness/akathisia.  I think it's too much to work out over the phone (which he'll sometimes do), but I'm hoping he might have an opening.  Probably not, but worth asking at this point. 

3 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

And even hypo, I can't really because I somehow manage to still be tired, which makes no sense to me.  It's supposed to be one of the sole benefits of being hypo!

I know, right?  LOL

3 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

Because my sleep study results were so messed up, I was given an ActWatch which my neuro referred to as a "poor man's sleep study."  It doesn't do all the funky things, but it does measure when you're asleep and when you're awake...idea being if I was waking and sleeping and waking and sleeping it would have picked up on it.  That came back fine.  The neuro was willing to try to get insurance approval for a second go at the lab, but I didn't think it would go any better b/c it was mostly anxiety related to the test that screwed up the results initially.

When you were wearing the ActWatch, the results came back fine ... so the DR could not tell how crappy your sleep really was despite the results?  If so I hate when that happens.  I mean you know yourself the best, and if you are awake and asleep at random times in a 24 hour period, how can that count as restful sleep, you know?

I hope your sleep returns to normal once the episode you are having now goes away.  I totally agree that there is too much to work out over the phone.  I hope you get the Tuesday appt. 

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  I wasn't having this problem when I had the ActWatch.  So it didn't show a problem because there honestly wasn't one, so far as neuro could tell.  There clearly is now, but it seems unrelated.

pdoc called back, med change in the works, blog entry with detail ?