CrazyBoards.org

Thinking of dropping effexor

just to make it short and to the point:

First thing AM  450 wellbutrin, 300 effexor, 200 provigil

2 hrs. later metadate cd 30mg

1hr later lamictal orange pack im into wk 3 so 50 mg

in the evenings to wind down 1-3mg clonopin

if i still can't sleep then i take an ambian around 1-2 am.

The doc is giving me an unofficial dx of borderline manic depressive and adhd for now from major depression.

I'm thinking of dropping effexor from lineup, what do ya'll think?

First of all, why do you wanna drop Efexor? Side effects?

If you decide to drop it, taper extremely slowly. Google Efexor withdrawal syndrome and you'll see why. Myself I didn't have any problems with this, even though tapering off relatively fast. But it's better to be careful, really.

Good Luck!

i think it's best to only make one med chance at a time, if possible.  as you're still titrating up on lamictal, you may want to wait until you've stabilized your lamictal dosage before you decide to drop your effexor.

also, as Helena pointed out, it would be easier to help you with adivce on this question if you said why you're thinking of dropping the effexor.

if you do decide to drop the effexor, read the following post about "prozac bridging" ... comming off of effexor can be really hard, and it's best done very slowly, and using the "prozac bridge" at the end can help prevent the nasty "brain zaps" people often get when comming off effexor.

http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showtopic=5563

i guess i'm getting sick of all these pills.  The wellbutrin and effexor never did shit and i think my doc needs to change things, now that he's looking at manic depressive rather than depression as more of a primamy problem now.  Also i had heard effexor is the hardest to quit, so i figured i'd go w/ that., What can i say there is a reason i'm on crazyboards.

i guess i'm getting sick of all these pills.  The wellbutrin and effexor never did shit and i think my doc needs to change things, now that he's looking at manic depressive rather than depression as more of a primamy problem now.  Also i had heard effexor is the hardest to quit, so i figured i'd go w/ that., What can i say there is a reason i'm on crazyboards.

a lot of bipolars stay on wellbutrin b/c it doesn't mess with seratonin so doesn't cause mania.  some can stay on SSRIs/SNRIs along with mood stabilizers, and some can't. 

the lamictal should even out your moods, and at a certain point it starts also having anti depressant properties. 

the lamictal may be able to balance out the mania inducing issues with the effexor, or it may not.  bringing this up with your doctor is certainly a good idea. 

titrating up on lamictal can be a hard process for some people though, so you still may want to wait until you've finished going up on lamictal to start going off effexor so that you're not in side effect city.

good luck

Well today I saw my pdoc for a follow up on the lamictal.  I brought up dropping effexor or wellbutrin.

End result i see him in 3 weeks and he said he wants me stable on the lamictol before he'll even discuss changing doses of any of the meds, il'll keep you all posted

Archived