CrazyBoards.org

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. I couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know what pseudo-hallucinations are? 

I have experiences where I hear things "in my head." I can tell gender and direction (as if it were in the room) and accent and sometimes identity of the speaker. I can also tell most of the time what's being said, but other times it's mumbling. Usually it's nonsense, but sometimes it's commentary on what I'm doing. When I'm manic I also get the typical "outside my head" hallucinations.

Anyone experience something similar? I'm not sure if this is the right forum, please feel free to move.

I had a pdoc that once thought I had BPD and pseudo hallucinations (not that the diagnosis is relevant). But she said they are voices inside your head, usually brought on by stress and such. It really does depend what pdoc you talk to though, because my voices are inside and outside of my head, and my current pdoc refers to the ones inside my head as "intrusive thoughts". Anyway, I hope you can find some help with what you are experiencing :)

On July 19, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Bellatrix said:

When I heard voices in my head I was 100% certain they were real. It seems that the distinction in that wiki article is not well established.

When I hear voices in my head, I'm 100% sure they're not real. I still have a diagnosis of psychosis.

4 hours ago, heilmania said:

When I hear voices in my head, I'm 100% sure they're not real. I still have a diagnosis of psychosis.

I wasn't trying to say that people who know they're not real don't have psychosis, just that the distinction of "voices in head are known to not be real" is not necessarily reliable. The wiki page also describes the pseudohallucination distinction as ambiguous and not reliably established.

14 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

I wasn't trying to say that people who know they're not real don't have psychosis, just that the distinction of "voices in head are known to not be real" is not necessarily reliable. The wiki page also describes the pseudohallucination distinction as ambiguous and not reliably established.

Gotcha. Right, the lines drawn by the mental-health field are always wishy-washy (to say the least).

• Like 1

Just now, aura said:

@heilmania Are your hallucinations similar to what I'm describing?

My hallucinations consist of a bunch of unrecognizable voices saying random words/numbers, with a couple random sounds thrown in for fun (think someone slipping on a banana peel in a cartoon). None of it makes any sense, and it's really fast and hard to follow.

It's like, "garbage, forty-five, train wreck, parrot, excuse me, five..." Sometimes random words or phrases will repeat throughout the episode, like "excuse me" repeats enough times to become "execute me". One time, I was sitting in complete silence reading a magazine on my couch, and I heard the music/sounds from Jeopardy! so loud in my head that I jumped, and my cat jumped because I jumped, and then I heard a string of words and sounds so fast I couldn't keep up. I can have my own thoughts over top of the hallucinations, too, if that makes any difference.

Thankfully, Abilify has really knocked them out. I only hear little blips now and then.