CrazyBoards.org

I hate being treated like a child

confused

I have 2 people I report to at work. The director and assistant director. The director and I get along very well. The assistant director used to have a different position. She gossips a lot. We barely talk to each other. She was promoted to the assistant director position awhile ago.

We are short-staffed. They hired 2 people who didn't last. One "retired" right after being hired. I am pretty sure she couldn't take being reprimanded. The other was let go yesterday. I don't know the whole story behind that.

We are supposed to prepare for our groups, but be on the floor instead of our office and not work outside of work hours. ack! We have a sign in sheet for when we go in and out for lunch/breaks/end of day etc. I don't like it. Not the paper, what it represents. I know if I am 5 minutes late, if I write down the wrong time it's an issue, if I write down the right time being late (at all) is an issue.I haven't had any warnings or anything. I am usually early. It is just the principle.

Anyways, the assistant director walks around checking up on us. We used to work out lunch among ourselves, but now she makes a schedule. I complained in a meeting that I don't like these things and she said she doesn't like having to "babysit" us and would rather not be making schedules, but we are not taking care of these things on our own.

I don't see these issues she is talking about. We are short-staffed so it is hard to be everywhere. But, she is very condescending and calls us honey and talks like we are her children. I left the meeting last night in tears (no one noticed except one co-worker who is cool). I was so frustrated.

Today, I talked to the director. She stood up for the assistant director, which I would expect, but she said she would talk to her. I asked to go home early and I left after my last group of the day.  After the director talked to the co, she came to me and said that I should work on building a relationship with the co-director,  

Is she passing it back onto me? 

She didn't say anything would change.

I don't know if I should have even said anything.

I have no advice, but I just want to empathize with you, confused. I had a very difficult work environment at my last job. Now I really prefer to work alone. Office politics are not my cup of tea and if you get one or two difficult people then it can spoil everything. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

Thanks jt.

The thing is-it could be pretty low stress.

I haven't worked in a long time before now and have been pretty isolated. My co-worker was saying I deserve my paycheck and basically not to let it drive me to quit.  That was why I asked for the time off today. I didn't want to do something impulsive like that.

That's just like my last job. The job could have been a low stress job except for 2 people who were always stirring the pot. In the end, I had to quit because I was getting sick every morning I had to go in. 

It's good that you asked for time off so that you didn't do anything impulsive. I agree with your coworker. You do work hard for your paycheck and shouldn't have to leave because of one or two people.

That's so rough, confused.  It does sound like a situation where you're doing everything right and the leadership component sucks.  At the beginning, I was going to suggest talking to the director, but you've tried that.  I'm guessing it's probably small enough that there isn't a separate HR person?  I'd only go that route if you're one step away from leaving, but it could be done. 

1 minute ago, dancesintherain said:

That's so rough, confused.  It does sound like a situation where you're doing everything right and the leadership component sucks.  At the beginning, I was going to suggest talking to the director, but you've tried that.  I'm guessing it's probably small enough that there isn't a separate HR person?  I'd only go that route if you're one step away from leaving, but it could be done. 

There is an HR department. It is in another building. 

I am going to see how this goes for now.