CrazyBoards.org

I need ideas for finding a new psychiatrist

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm wanting to find a new psychiatrist. I'm dissatisfied with my current medications. My current psychiatrist isn't very helpful and doesn't seem to give a shit about me. My psychiatrist is part of a local mental health group which includes far worse psychiatrists.

My local area is notorious for bad doctors in every field. Because of that, I'll be looking for a new psych in a nearby city which is said to have better doctors. I used to have a psychiatrist there, years ago. He was generally a better psychiatrist until he put me on Abilify for anxiety, which was was basically malpractice. I can only wonder how much Otsuka paid him for that! After my parent's insurance stopped paying the bills, I decided to find a psychiatrist locally, and save the trip too. Didn't work out so well.

I am currently on Medicaid.

Any tips on what to look for? Anyone got relevant experiences they could share? Would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to CB!

Is there anyone who could give you a referral (like primary DR)?  Otherwise what I do (to find a DR in general if needed) is find their webpage or them on the hospital's web page, and research them that way, or google their name and see if anything come's up.  Just keep in mind that even if a DR gets some bad reviews, those are other people sharing the worst experiences.  You don't see anyone post about all the good experiences they had with the DR. 

Example ... I found a DR but didn't have time to research him, but figured after I was seen I would look him up and could still change DRs later if I didn't like him.  So I get home and look him up, only to find all these bad reviews, one-star ratings, etc.  Had I gone by the ratings and what was said I would never have chosen him.  But he was an excellent DR (a referral from primary DR) and I have been with him since day 1.

That is why a personal referral can be a good thing. And researching them IMO is helpful also.  Some people clash with a DR, and others have the best experience with that same DR.  But either way I'd look the DR up and ask around.

I've recently moved and had to search for a new pdoc. I moved 1100+ miles away, so I had no one to ask for a referral.

I looked at tons of listings on the internet and found that for me, it was really important to read the reviews and not go by the average or number of stars. Many times people rate the practice based on everyone they encounter. That's fair, but I can deal with a surly front desk to get to a good doc.

I also made sure to visit the docs' own websites, where I found out a LOT. One local MD published on her website that she thought mental illnesses were largely caused by obesity. I found that horrifying and hysterical - my obesity is caused by my psych meds! Another MD, who has the best reviews, is open Monday through Thursday only and provides no night or weekend call. None. Must be easy to get good reviews if you only deal with people who never have issues after 4:30pm!

When I did make an appointment with someone, I also kept in mind that it was only one appointment if I didn't like him.

Turns out, he's okay but much more med-management than my previous doc. I'm used to have a longer appointment where we go over my behavior before we even start talking about meds. It means I'd better get off my backside and find someone to talk to ASAP, but that's okay. I know I'll never find another guy as good as my last one. Saved my life, he did, and I'll be forever grateful.

Edited by batshitprincess
left out a word

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Sorry for the delay, I've been neck deep in shit creek lately.

I called my PCP. They contacted a large (huge) medical university in the area I requested as they were the only place my PCP knew of. They have a hospital and a separate outpatient center. The psych department told them that there would be a year wait for me to get in. The only psychiatrist in my area that my PCP recommends is the one I've already seen, everyone hates, and is probably from the same foreign country. Go figure.

I've found many psychiatrists in my area through http://www.fideliscare.org/providersearch/ . However the bad reviews and lack of reviews tell me almost nothing. I'll probably have to do the trail and error thing.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/4/2016 at 2:39 PM, PingWire said:

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Sorry for the delay, I've been neck deep in shit creek lately.

I called my PCP. They contacted a large (huge) medical university in the area I requested as they were the only place my PCP knew of. They have a hospital and a separate outpatient center. The psych department told them that there would be a year wait for me to get in. The only psychiatrist in my area that my PCP recommends is the one I've already seen, everyone hates, and is probably from the same foreign country. Go figure.

I've found many psychiatrists in my area through http://www.fideliscare.org/providersearch/ . However the bad reviews and lack of reviews tell me almost nothing. I'll probably have to do the trail and error thing.

Sometimes it takes trial and error to find a good pdoc for you.  Have you found one you are comfortable with?