CrazyBoards.org

Hey guys soo I saw my new psychologist she says. Definitely borderline line personality disorder with out a doubt but that I also met the criteria for bipolar so she wanted to help me with my anger an she said antriptylin was bad for that so I'm off of that an I'm tapering off on Prozac an now I'm on lamictal so how did it work for you guys is it really the gold standard for anger an depression   

Lamictal has helped me.  I take is for seizure control as well.  It has a double duty. Its part of my cocktail and is raised when I am symptomatic.  The titration was horrid.  But once I got through the 200mg I saw more benefit.   My meds are in my signature.   I should mention though I do struggle with stability over all so seroquel is my main mood stabilizer the lamictal plays the role of an anti seizure drug and anti depressant.    

Hope you have good luck with it.

After years of ADs, most that either didn't work or stopped working, lamictal has kept me from being depressed for several years now. So for me, part of a good combo of meds. I hope you do well on it. Do taper up like they say, although it means you wait a long time to see results. 

It's great for depression, and once you get to a mood stabilizing dose it should help with anger-assuming your anger is based on your bipolar symptoms. The titration period can be very activating and you might feel worse before you feel better. I mean you may get agitated. 

If you do get the really rocky titration, bring your pdoc into the loop because depending on how bad the agitation is (or in my case, a really bad impact on ability to sleep), he/she might want to give you a temporary med.  When I was going up on lamictal, I took 200mg of seroquel each night.  Once I hit a therapeutic level, we dialed it back down and I was fine.  (the current dosages are due to a diffferent episode/reason). 

8 hours ago, dragonfly23 said:

Its part of my cocktail and is raised when I am symptomatic.  

Same with me.  It is raised when I am symptomatic.  I am at 600 mg right now, until my thinking slows down.  Then try to go back to 400 mg, my regular dose.

11 hours ago, Gearhead said:

It's great for depression, and once you get to a mood stabilizing dose it should help with anger-assuming your anger is based on your bipolar symptoms. The titration period can be very activating and you might feel worse before you feel better. I mean you may get agitated. 

I'm hoping it keeps me stable an I get its gonna be hard to see results she is moving me up slowly to a 100mg she just doesn't like me on all of the ssri cause she said its bad for anger with bipolar 

the SSRI bad for bipolar combo is true for a lot of people.  Back when I first went on meds (2002), I was put on an SSRI and it didn't really do anything positive or negative.  Because of that, I tried one more recently and it was a huge disaster.  Lesson learned. 

Not the case with everyone--but I think an understandably large enough crowd to make it a concern and to try cautiously if someone's going to try it. 

2 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

the SSRI bad for bipolar combo is true for a lot of people.  Back when I first went on meds (2002), I was put on an SSRI and it didn't really do anything positive or negative.  Because of that, I tried one more recently and it was a huge disaster.  Lesson learned. 

Not the case with everyone--but I think an understandably large enough crowd to make it a concern and to try cautiously if someone's going to try it. 

I mean I have no clue if the antidepressants where causing issues my new doctor doesn't like the idea of me being on them if i might be biploar

• 5 weeks later...

Good information. My PDOC is looking at taking me off of lithium and trying lamictal instead, and I deal a lot with bipolar agitation. Glad to have the heads up about possible triggering during titration.

Hope you are doing well sweetlysinister.