CrazyBoards.org

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with interactions between their medications and any sort of psychedelic drug that they may be using for fun. I know that it's pretty well inevitable considering psychedelic effects are basically what our drugs are made to stop but while you won't hallucinate or have euphoria to the moon there are some very real and intense effects of mixing anti psychotics and psychedelics. 

Recently I decided to do some Salvia with some friends, which before I was on anti Psychs (mine is latuda) I had what I'd say is a normal trip and then a manic episode, when I smoked the Salvia this time I just sort of became vegetated. Like paralyzed, unable to think, unable to remember anything, I was conscious and could tell that I existed and that was about it. The effects wore off really slowly which is weird for Salvia and I found myself still recovering from the absolutely confused and paranoid state it put me in for hours until it triggered a really intense mood swing where I was more depressed than I'd ever been, just balling my eyes and empty inside, to through the fucking roof in a manic state. Quickly cycling through these states multiple times within a 6 hour time span. I had to drive home so thank God I got home safe but once I sat down I just passed out and had the weirdest dream, I couldn't even comprehend what was happening in my dream. I woke up and most of the effects have subsided but I just feel off now, like somethings not right, kinda on edge. 

I'm definitely going to talk to my pdoc about this and ask about any other drug interactions that he's aware of but I was wondering if you guys have had any experiences with drug interactions, and what they were like for you. 

Talk to your doctor about drug interactions. You are playing with fire and gasoline if you are mixing psychedelics with meds. In fact, if you have any mental illness you are playing with fire and gasoline by using psychedelics. Just so you know we are a pro-treatment, pro-recovery board and don't tell people how to get higher if their AAPs interfere.

Psychedelic experiences were once held up as a model for psychosis, but that was decades ago and was proven wrong.It is only that psychedlics and AP's both effect nerotransmitters that brings some common gound. Due to this interaction you are really playing with fire mixing the 2. Serotonin Syndrome is one possible outcome.

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with interactions between their medications and any sort of psychedelic drug that they may be using for fun. I know that it's pretty well inevitable considering psychedelic effects are basically what our drugs are made to stop but while you won't hallucinate or have euphoria to the moon there are some very real and intense effects of mixing anti psychotics and psychedelics. 

The problem with this question (which jt has already raised) is that CB is pro-treatment and recovery.  While we're not naive enough to assume that every member is adhering 100% to their medication regimen and not messing around with other substances on the side, we can't and won't engage in a discussion about how "fun" drugs interact with our meds. 

You are not making smart life choices here, and I hope that you are completely frank with your pdoc when you see him.  (Although to me you almost seem to imply that he won't have a particular issue with what you are doing, which I find puzzling.)

On July 23, 2016 at 0:07 AM, Humorouscrustacean said:

Wow guys just looking for a friendly discussion but w/e

hi, i want to discuss this with you.

i read a few of your other posts (i haven't been around for months and so forth so not many, admittedly) and it seems we have some things in common. most notably, a diagnosis and some symptoms. we also have some differences: you're highly treatment responsive. that's an awesome thing! i can see why you love latuda. 

do NOT fuck that up. 

please. 

seriously...seriously. 

no, i don't do mushrooms and i'm not much of a drinker and so forth. i also had a kid recently ish. but i have discontinued a lot and tinkered some and i've spent an astonishing amount of time inpatient and in programs and in long term care for a stint. i've gone through ECT and taken a LOT of different medications and had injections of both acute and depot. and i'm telling you: please do not fuck it up for yourself to have a little fun now. life can be awful even if you don't tempt the symptoms with psychedelics. your level of functioning can plummet and ...

in the early years after diagnosis, my symptoms used to be interfering, but treatment responsive. and after enough discontinuations and on/off medications and being either untreated or forcibly so, i was left with refractory psychosis. it's been years since i've been moderately functional with my symptoms sufficiently treated because i go through periods of decompensation. my biggest concern with taking psychedelics would be that my already broken head would be enduring more stress and it'd just crumble faster.

i don't really care if you do psychedelics or other drugs or any and all as a moral or legal or any other judgment, just to be clear. but i do care that someone with some of the same issues i've spent years completely immersed in and having faced the consequences of taking below therapeutic dosage and of discontinuing that have affected every sphere of my life, legal, financial, interpersonal, occupational, vocational... i care that massive psychotic breaks can devastate a person's life. and you seem to be failing to see that you can make better choices and have a life that's not completely fucked. possibly. it can also blindside and take out any of us, even if we are stable seeming.

be sure recognize the toll schizophrenia, psychotic episodes and the meds and the meds to combat the side effects of the meds...think of the toll that all takes on your head. and this is a chronic situation...and it's so easy to stop taking care of yourself because you get absorbed and doing damage upon damage by inducing hallucinations... can you see that's a really bad idea? don't add to it. that's what taking psychedelics and having paranoid schizophrenia is. the episodes do damage. seriously. you want to avoid being psychotic. it perpetuates itself in a sense. and i'm telling you, this thing, this diagnosis we share, one schizophrenic to another: you are doing the equivalent of walking up active train tracks wearing bad idea jeans and crossing long bridges. 

i urge you to step back and take a break and let your brain rest as much as possible. i'll even link articles next time i'm on if you'll read them that back what i wrote above. early treatment and maintenance of psychosis is THE BEST thing you can do to have a shot at independent living and quality of life. 

i wish you well, no matter what. i have no tips for you except, please stop making yourself more likely to suffer a lot more than you already may in the future. we have shorter expected life spans because of things like higher smoking rates and health stuff caused by meds and so forth already. i think all mental illness has a shorter expectancy than non, but it's a significant percentage with some. realise you're making something that could ruin your life even more likely to. you've done mushrooms already, so you can't feel like you missed out. find some other....take skydiving lessons or do tai chi or something. (tai chi actually is great; i do it, but i digress). point is: seek new or transformative experiences that aren't so highly likely to exacerbate your symptoms and reduce your treatment responsiveness. you say the latuda weakens the effects of the mushrooms. i'm thinking don't try to circumvent the latuda...the medication for your symptoms should be allowed to work and stop taking things that reduce efficacy. please. be that success story. you totally can be. at least don't throw away your chance at being.

take care, xx

Edited by mellifluous
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2016 at 0:15 AM, mellifluous said:

Edited Sunday at 12:33 AM by mellifluous

I read your post on my phone earlier and noticed that you edited something out but yes I would be interested in those articles that you offered.

Learning about this stuff is super interesting to me. Maybe that's why I like the idea of psychedelics so much, I love to push my brain to the extreme and experience all that is possible with a little bit of chemistry but I don't ever really look to see what I'm actually doing. I was actually studying pharmacy in school for awhile before switching into computer science because I really found learning about drugs and all their effects super interesting and wanted to have an ultimate understanding of brain chemistry and how drugs affect stuff up there. 

I'm really sorry if I made you upset, the tone of your post kinda came off that way, I just live a different lifestyle I guess, which is fine. I definitely will avoid or at least limit my use of other drugs, I've never really considered the fact that I am already damaged, then doing aaps which do more damage, then doing benzos to stop akithisia which do more damage, then doing my own thing on top of that which does even more damage then all of that combined. I just never looked at the situation laterally to see everything I was doing, I've just been so deadset on doing drugs because I want to experience them and haven't actually given any thought as to what damage that does. Like I've known the risks and understood the drugs but never actually had the thought that I am harming myself, I've known that drugs do damage I've just never applied that reasoning to my own perspective on drugs. 

Anyway thanks for changing my outlook, I really would be interested in reading those articles cause learning about this stuff is still super cool in my opinion, which by the way was the entire reason I started this post in the first place, not because I wanted people to tell me how to have a safe trip, like people accused me, but because I wanted to learn about brains and drugs and how they work. I probably won't do any more drugs for awhile, at least not while I'm on latuda because since starting latuda almost every drug experience i've had has been negative. I thought that on a psych forum where people openly talk about drugs with no stigma surrounding it I thought it would be cool to ask if anyone had any experience with AAPs + psychedelics but I guess not... oh well, live and learn.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2016 at 7:02 PM, Humorouscrustacean said:

I read your post on my phone earlier and noticed that you edited something out but yes I would be interested in those articles that you offered.

i did edit, but not to delete anything. i don't recall what exactly i edited, but i know that i'm not one to go back and do actual edits very often and i usually don't even re read what i've written until much later, if at all. in this case, i more likely thought of something to add and added it. : )

Learning about this stuff is super interesting to me. Maybe that's why I like the idea of psychedelics so much, I love to push my brain to the extreme and experience all that is possible with a little bit of chemistry but I don't ever really look to see what I'm actually doing. I was actually studying pharmacy in school for awhile before switching into computer science because I really found learning about drugs and all their effects super interesting and wanted to have an ultimate understanding of brain chemistry and how drugs affect stuff up there. 

i can appreciate your curiosity and don't think that's a bad thing.

I'm really sorry if I made you upset, the tone of your post kinda came off that way, I just live a different lifestyle I guess, which is fine. I definitely will avoid or at least limit my use of other drugs, I've never really considered the fact that I am already damaged, then doing aaps which do more damage, then doing benzos to stop akithisia which do more damage, then doing my own thing on top of that which does even more damage then all of that combined. I just never looked at the situation laterally to see everything I was doing, I've just been so deadset on doing drugs because I want to experience them and haven't actually given any thought as to what damage that does. Like I've known the risks and understood the drugs but never actually had the thought that I am harming myself, I've known that drugs do damage I've just never applied that reasoning to my own perspective on drugs. 

i've been in the presence of various substances lots of times and i don't have an ethical issue with people doing them. it was an error on my part if i came off like i do. i posted only out of concern...not because i'm or i was upset with you. more...i've made some serious mistakes (not exactly the same things you're contemplating doing or have done necessarily), but i went from someone who managed to obtain a doctorate and even after diagnosis i used to be relatively high functioning (as far as schizophrenics go) for periods of time in between psychotic breaks. even up to maybe seven or eight years ago i had a level of resilience that enabled me to escape horrible consequences for my discontinuations (just the legal ones...but no long term cognitive affects)...or so it seemed.

then, at some point, it all caught up to me. i ended up spending time in long term care because i was just incapacitated and treatment unresponsive. even after that, i'm embarrassed to say, i've discontinued since and i've also tinkered with my meds...mostly cutting them in half or skipping this or that. you'd think i'd learn a lesson somewhere in there. i do lose insight quite quickly, however, when i start to slip and so...i guess, i was coming more from a place of concern and my passion for helping you see more clearly and not make mistakes you can avoid...that's where i was coming from. it appeared to me that you have insight and accept your diagnosis and yet were willing to risk far more than someone without schizophrenia risks when experimenting with various drugs. 

i'm not particularly risk averse and i don't always "learn a lesson" the first, second...fifty-first time. but i posted in hopes of encouraging you not to just repeat the mistakes others have made, including me.

Anyway thanks for changing my outlook, I really would be interested in reading those articles cause learning about this stuff is still super cool in my opinion, which by the way was the entire reason I started this post in the first place, not because I wanted people to tell me how to have a safe trip, like people accused me, but because I wanted to learn about brains and drugs and how they work. I probably won't do any more drugs for awhile, at least not while I'm on latuda because since starting latuda almost every drug experience i've had has been negative. I thought that on a psych forum where people openly talk about drugs with no stigma surrounding it I thought it would be cool to ask if anyone had any experience with AAPs + psychedelics but I guess not... oh well, live and learn.

that's actually quite a mature response to my tirade. far more mature than the one i'd've given were i in your position, frankly. which...maybe right there is evidence that we have less in common and you have less reason to fear ending up with greater cognitive symptoms or treatment resistance or lacking resilience because you've put your brain through so much... *however*, psychosis takes a toll on a person and it seems like the wiser move would be not to test the limits when schizophrenia will do that for you...even if it hasn't yet.

so sorry...i forgot about this thread... : o

i posted some of the answers in your quoted post above. i'll try to remember to track down articles for you, too.

one thing i want to be sure to clarify is this: you didn't offend me or anything. if i came across that way, it is only because i do care and i wish i had made better choices about discontinuation and so forth, which left me treatment resistant for a long time and i'm just barely starting to climb back out of a six year hell. 

anyway, i hope this finds you well and cheers for having considered my previous post...i hope this one is helpful and i also hope i remember to track down articles, but if you don't see anything for a few days, feel free to remind me : )