CrazyBoards.org

I've recently read in a few places that sensory overload can come along with or actually constitute psychosis. I have this when manic, but no one has ever told me I'm psychotic because of it. What I mean, for example, is mis-hearing things all at the same level of loudness, or misperceiving what direction sounds are coming from (seeing words spoken in front of me, but hearing it from the back). I might also get overwhelmed when color contrasts are too extreme. Stuff like like that. 

On 7/21/2016 at 3:11 PM, aura said:

I've recently read in a few places that sensory overload can come along with or actually constitute psychosis. I have this when manic, but no one has ever told me I'm psychotic because of it. What I mean, for example, is mis-hearing things all at the same level of loudness, or misperceiving what direction sounds are coming from (seeing words spoken in front of me, but hearing it from the back). I might also get overwhelmed when color contrasts are too extreme. Stuff like like that. 

Not sure if this is what you mean, but will answer in case it is what you are asking about:

Listening to loud things (like music) can start me hearing voices again, so I have to keep the volume low.  (learned that the hard way)

About the direction of sounds and where they are coming from, I can hear something and think it was coming from one end of my apartment, only to go to the other end and know that is where the sounds are really coming from.  So when I hear something, it can be hard to know where it is really coming from.  Having people talk to me, I hear what they are saying but at the same time I sometimes hear echoes in the background of the same thing.

• 3 months later...

Can I please bump this? I'm having a really hard time with sensory misperceptions right now. Everything seems louder than it should and it's causing me a lot of distress. I'm having trouble doing basic things like going to class. Advice on how to deal with this??

Have a read about ways that autistic people deal with sensory sensitivity or overload, you should be able to extrapolate methods we use to deal with it. For example some people will play music through earphones to get around, it would be nice to just use ear defenders but that tends to make you stand out. Light sensitivity is another easy one, I just use sunglasses whenever I'm outside. 

Edited by Southern Discomfort

IS it the getting to class the causes the problem (with all the noise around you and distractions and such things)?  Or is it a problem once you're in class also?  

If it's the getting to class piece, I had the same idea as melissa--earplugs could work.  Also noise-cancellation headphones but those things can be expensive.  

If it's in class, I have a harder time.  Maybe sitting near the front to reduce distractions/noises?  Or does that make it worse because then you don't know where it's coming from?

I unfortunately do not have any suggestions to give you. I have been dealing a good bit with hyperacuity as of late - which I think is related to my paranoia - and all I know to do about it is to remove myself to quieter surroundings. In this one coffee shop I've been in at the time this has occurred on a number of occasions they play music, but the music does not cover up other people's noise but rather bothers and distracts me.

• 3 weeks later...

This is all very interesting. I had never heard about this symptom before. I assumed feeling this way was something to do with psychosis, and it was brought up, but never with a name attached. I need to wear headphones with relaxing music a lot because they seem to reduce this problem. I don't get as disoriented when I have music on.