CrazyBoards.org

Zyprexa or Seroquel for depression and ocd and paranoia?

Hi I am currently on 150mg effexor and 5mg zyprexa,been on them both for thirteen years. After an hba1c result of 42,the pdoc wants to switch me from 5mg zyprexa to 50mg seroquel (quetiapine), however I am terrified of changing to quetiapine because I've read that it can cause hallucinations and make you pass out? I an quite happy on zyprexa even though it doesn't make me less paranoid and it doesn't reduce ocd either. I'm wondering if seroquel will help more with ocd and paranoia ?

2 hours ago, Smileoneffex said:

however I am terrified of changing to quetiapine because I've read that it can cause hallucinations and make you pass out?

FWIW ... I never experienced those side effects on seroquel.  That is not to say they don't happen though.

2 hours ago, MrTook said:

42 is just on the border of prediabetic.  Any chance he would let you wait and try to make some lifestyle changes to see if you can bring it down yourself?

I agree with lifestyle changes to bring your blood sugar down.

I don't know a lot about the hba1c levels, but isn't 42 a fairly high level?

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/hemoglobin_a1c_hba1c/page2_em.htm#what_are_normal_levels_of_hba1c

In healthy people, the HbA1c level is less than 6% of total hemoglobin. A level of 6.5% signals that diabetes is present. Studies have demonstrated that the complications of diabetes can be delayed or prevented if the HbA1c level can be kept below 7%. It is recommended that treatment of diabetes be directed at keeping an individual's HbA1c level as close to normal as possible (<6%) without episodes of hypoglycemia

Here is a chart converter:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

• Like 1