CrazyBoards.org

[TW: Brief/abstract mention of abuse/abusers] So, we've been getting a mix of outright-nightmares and intensely-vivid-dreams that are still on the "that was uncomfortable/disconcerting/constant-anxiety" spectrum, to the point of being often afraid to go to bed as a result. Abusers appear commonly, but far from "always", and PTSD nightmares were a thing we used to get that mostly faded.. A lot of these aren't related to them in any way I can see. Usually we get at least 2 'bad dreams' a night, sometimes more, often due to the "wake up a little early/on time, fall back asleep" thing, but often not; More recently dreams have been starting to chain together into ones where you 'wake up', which then go Unpleasantly as well.

We have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome III, which I know causes raised adrenaline, night-time adrenal spikes, and thus vivid dreams & poor sleep. But still. This is a whole new level of it.

Anyway. This makes us feel never-actually-rested and really dreading sleep every night and.. Yeah. Any tips? We've been in a mental health breakdown for the past few months (due to, but not exclusively, homelessness crisis/new abuse, housed but not out of the woods on practical stressors there by a long way), but since this is actively helping prolong & make the breakdown worse, any advice'd be much appreciated.

thanks,

Wynn

Nightmares suck!  I'm sorry you are having them ... they can be really hard to deal with.

Forgive me, but I don't remember if you have a tdoc or pdoc to talk about them? 

When I was in the middle of having these happening to me, It helped me when I woke up from sleep and right away wrote down the immediate memories that I woke up with, so I could talk about them with my pdoc (did therapy also) next appt. 

They were very distressing dreams and sometimes I woke up not wanting to even remember them.  But when I wrote what I remembered down on paper, afterwards I just folded it up and didn't go back to look at it until the pdoc appt. 

When I got to my appt, either I told him about them (from the notes I wrote down, or had pdoc read it to himself and we went from there.  Eventually I started having them less and less of them, and I eventually didn't have them anymore.  I have an occasional one once in awhile but not like before.

I hope you can find away to get rid of the nightmares.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Not sure why we took quite so long replying to this. Think we were going to but forgot.

Don't have a therapist at the moment. Old therp said that she'd be happy to start up again. We might, might not. ..Probably will, but.. There's a lot of sleep-unrelated complicating matters there I won't go into.

I.. Yeah. We have a lot of not wanting to remember them. Stuff we wouldn't even want to write down. Whenever we poke at the memories it's just like.. No, let that lie, it's slowly fading away, you don't wanna go remembering that stuff; it was bad, that's all there is. We've had periods of nightmares, mostly trauma-related ones, where it's just.. Gone when it's gone. But this has been ongoing since early this year at least, and.. Yeah, the intensity comes and goes but.. Last night was one of the worst we've ever had. Long, incredibly detailed/intense (adrenaline at night from EDS makes vivid dreams a thing for us anyway) and with.. Some of the most fucked up, horrible stuff happening you could possibly think of.

Weirdly, we rarely ever get the "being chased" or whatever ones (have occasionally, but its rare). It's just.. Weird-ass stuff where the content is really horrible, anxiety/distress-inducing, horrifying, abuser-related (not all are, but about half), etc..

We off-and-on wonder if Beta Blockers would help with our sleep crap in general. They're supposed to stop adrenaline to some degree.. And our current understanding is that a lot of our sleep problems are rooted in or made-worse-by adrenaline thanks to Ehlers Danlos III. So.. Maybe. But our pnurse doesn't feel comfortable prescribing that on her own, and our blood pressure is already low.

Tri

Edited by WinterTidings

17 minutes ago, WinterTidings said:

We off-and-on wonder if Beta Blockers would help with our sleep crap in general. They're supposed to stop adrenaline to some degree.. And our current understanding is that a lot of our sleep problems are rooted in or made-worse-by adrenaline thanks to Ehlers Danlos III. So.. Maybe. But our pnurse doesn't feel comfortable prescribing that on her own, and our blood pressure is already low.

Thanks for updating this thread! 

I know your pnurse won't prescribe it, but but do you have a pdoc?  I understand your concern for it making your blood pressure lower.  But maybe s/he (pdoc) has other thoughts?  I am on propranolol (beta blocker) for anxiety.  I don't always take it on a regular basis, but when I do, it seems to help.  It doesn't really help me with sleep, but it might for you (YMMV).  I think it is worth asking about with someone other than your pnurse (only because she won't prescribe).

We don't have a pdoc, no. The only one at that clinic is a really abusive asshole (our next appointment with the pnurse (clinic head/manager) is gonna be mostly about that), so.. *shrug* No pdoc here. :/ Maybe in future, probably not. I'm glad that it seems to help for you, even if not for sleep.

Tri