CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Noppera-bo

Question n an odd allergy

Is it possible to be sensitive to or allergic to sunlight? Every time I'm out in bright light or have shades up my eyes hurt,  get slightly dizzy, feel a little nauseated. I've so many other health concerns and am on psych meds, which sometimes have the od side effect of increasing risk to heat stroke, but not the noes I'm on. I don't think so anyway, checked he labels and didn't see anything related to sun exposure. This has been going on since before the new meds too, and I've had a years long break in between psych meds. I'm just not sure if it's even real at this point, because I'm so sick with other stuff. Anybody with any credible info, I'd appreciate it. I won't hazard WebMD anymore, as, well, it's more a hazard than help.

Others may know better, but I'm not sure it's an allergy as much as it is being really sensitive to sunlight, likely in combination with heat.  I've had a migraine triggered by excessive sunlight and heat (we think--there's no other logical explanation) and although I'm not saying that's what's going on, it seems possibly similar. 

2 hours ago, Noppera-bo said:

Is it possible to be sensitive to or allergic to sunlight?

Anybody with any credible info, I'd appreciate it. I won't hazard WebMD anymore, as, well, it's more a hazard than help.

Yes it is.  The credible info is anecdotal, but I know it was definitely true because I saw the rash/hives.  I had a friend/acquaintance in high school who was allergic to the sun.  She always had to wear long sleeves outside, pants outside, always had a hat that would cover her head and then some.  Idk how she did it in the summer.  But she was definitely was allergic to the sun.

If you google "Can someone be allergic to the sun" a lot of info comes up. Here are a few. 

*I didn't read these links word for word, but did scan them*

https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/sun-allergy-photosensitivity.html

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sun-allergy/basics/definition/con-20035077

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1050485-overview

Edited by melissaw72

Okay thanks. I I figured out mine is more a sensitivity to light, especially UV sunlight, not an allergy. But it was interesting to read about. Thanks for the help. :)