CrazyBoards.org

lamictal - morning, evening, or both?

I'm currently taking my 300mg of lamictal in the morning.  Because I've been dealing with persistent fatigue and it's the only medication that I don't split between morning and evening, I asked PHP pdoc if I could try either splitting it morning/evening or just taking it in the evening.  She asked what had worked for me when I was stable and I unfortunately didn't know, but thought it was evening.  I'm going to try switching it regardless (worst case scenario, I switch it back), but I was curious about others' experiences. 

Morning?  Evening?  Half and half?

Thanks,

dances

• Like 1

I'm on 600 mg/day .. 200 AM, 200 in the afternoon, 200 PM.  And that works well for me. 

My pills are ODT, not sure if that matters or not.  If I took them all at once though (ie all in AM or all in PM) I'd be really tired on top of how tired I am already.

The half life of lamotrigine is 29 hours and its plasma cmax is 4.8 hours so splitting it shouldn't really matter too much. You can split it if you really need the most out of a drug but even doing that it's not going to last all the of the day. On the label of mine I have it as taking it in the morning, that works for me.

Edited by Southern Discomfort

Thanks everyone---seems like the consistent answer is that there is no consistency! 

I'll go with what we currently planned (try switching to evening, see if that makes it better or worse), since I can switch back if needed.  If there had been a big trend either way, I might have reconsidered because it was my request/idea to begin with. 

Forgot to add-up until I got to 200 (was on 50 mg, 75 mg, 100 mg, and 150 mg my labels said to take it daily and didn't specify a time but when I switched to 200 mgs, the label for the 200 mgs said to take it at night. Unsure of whether the amount you are taking matters, but just figured I would through that out, just in case

I never could take more than 200 mg as a single dose, I would get cognitive problems right after taking the dose. That plus my neurologist insisting I take it twice a day (seizures) ment I took 200 mg twice a day. The PI says you can do one dose up to 300 mg a day then you need a divided dose for higher doses.

On July 25, 2016 at 2:12 PM, dancesintherain said:

I'm currently taking my 300mg of lamictal in the morning.  Because I've been dealing with persistent fatigue and it's the only medication that I don't split between morning and evening, I asked PHP pdoc if I could try either splitting it morning/evening or just taking it in the evening.  She asked what had worked for me when I was stable and I unfortunately didn't know, but thought it was evening.  I'm going to try switching it regardless (worst case scenario, I switch it back), but I was curious about others' experiences. 

Morning?  Evening?  Half and half?

Thanks,

dances

Hi dances, I've been taking 300mg of lamictal for 9-10 years. I started out in the morning, then switched to the evening because I thought it was making me tired. My new psychiatric nurse has now put me at 150mg in the morning and 150mg in the evening and that is working for me. Good luck! 

Thanks all!  My sleep recently went in the wrong direction and unfortunately it was timed with both moving the lamictal to the evening and starting the latuda.  Not a smart call on my part because now I don't know which to move back.  I may try lamictal over the weekend to see if it helps or I might wait for PHP pdoc to decide on Monday.  I think I remember being stable on taking it in the evening, which is what she initially asked.  Hmm.

• Like 1

Hello,

no, sorry for not being clear.  I've been at 300mg for two months but it's a question of timing.  I've been in a PHP for the past two weeks and I asked about moving it to the evening because I had a severe lethargy issue and it was the only medication that was split between morning and evening or taken in the evening.  She signed off on it and asked initially when I was taking it when I felt stable (as opposed to the current episode).  It was in the evening, I thought, so we switched it.

for the past three nights, my sleep has been wretched (to the degree of an entirely different CB post on it).  However, one night into that, I also started taking Latuda in the evening.  So I don't know if it's a complete coincidence, the Latuda, the Lamictal, or any combination of the above.  

I can wait for PHP pdoc on Monday to decide whether to split the lamictal again, but if I have another nights sleep like last night (8.5 hours in 2 hour increments with half hour breaks roughly), I'm not going to be functional tomorrow.  So part of me feels like if it was completely fine in her mind to split it initially, I should be able to do it again and not cause a panic.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

Hello,

no, sorry for not being clear.  I've been at 300mg for two months but it's a question of timing.  I've been in a PHP for the past two weeks and I asked about moving it to the evening because I had a severe lethargy issue and it was the only medication that was split between morning and evening or taken in the evening.  She signed off on it and asked initially when I was taking it when I felt stable (as opposed to the current episode).  It was in the evening, I thought, so we switched it.

for the past three nights, my sleep has been wretched (to the degree of an entirely different CB post on it).  However, one night into that, I also started taking Latuda in the evening.  So I don't know if it's a complete coincidence, the Latuda, the Lamictal, or any combination of the above.  

I can wait for PHP pdoc on Monday to decide whether to split the lamictal again, but if I have another nights sleep like last night (8.5 hours in 2 hour increments with half hour breaks roughly), I'm not going to be functional tomorrow.  So part of me feels like if it was completely fine in her mind to split it initially, I should be able to do it again and not cause a panic.

Hi dances, I'm not familiar with the acronym CB. Is there something you can take for sleep?

Hello,

thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion.  In my head, CB = crazyboards.  I have a post in the sleep section on it in other words.

im already taking 400mg seroquel and a small amount of zaniflex (a muscle relaxer) and 1mg of Ativan at bedtime.  Also lithium, but that hasn't impacted me positively or negatively toward sleep before.  I asked in advance for permission to tack on 25mg of Benadryl and was given it if my sleep architecture was as awful as it was last night.  The five intervals of two hours or less was after adding the Benadryl to the mix after waking up once.  It's just royally fucked up.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

Hello,

thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion.  In my head, CB = crazyboards.  I have a post in the sleep section on it in other words.

im already taking 400mg seroquel and a small amount of zaniflex (a muscle relaxer) and 1mg of Ativan at bedtime.  Also lithium, but that hasn't impacted me positively or negatively toward sleep before.  I asked in advance for permission to tack on 25mg of Benadryl and was given it if my sleep architecture was as awful as it was last night.  The five intervals of two hours or less was after adding the Benadryl to the mix after waking up once.  It's just royally fucked up.  

Hi this is my first day of posting after joining 3 years ago so I apologize for the simple questions. I also have benadryl if I need it. I will go check out the sleep section. I understand your sleep issues , I have them too.