CrazyBoards.org

Acceptable sides......Celexa/Prozac success and anxiety.

Hey hey.

The time has come to suck it up and get some medication. I keep putting it off. I hate the start up, I hate waiting to see if something works and I hate some of the sides that stick around.

I've tried a number of meds in the past. Some have had minor annoyances that I finally got sick of (sexual sides/weight gain/feeling emotionless), others had awful one's (like lactating and acne, chest pain or forgetting which side of the road to drive on).

My primary issue is unrelenting anxiety. Closely followed by depression that sucks all and any enjoyment from life.

I did okay on Paxil (until I didn't at 3 months-this was the acne and lactation pill)
I did well on Celexa for 9 months but went off it due to sexual sides and feeling robotic. It didn't remove the anxiety, but it helped. It did turn me into a raging insomniac however.
I did well with Lexapro the first time, but couldn't get past the initial 10mg without crawling out of my skin so success was limited. The 2nd time 2.5mgs caused hours and hours of waves of panic attacks. I gave up after 2 days.
I did well with Doxepin but mostly because it just made me sleep.
Valdoxan didn't do much. My pdoc wanted me to take 2 tablets a day but I couldn't afford to continue that long term so never tried.

Horrors were Effexor XR. It was great for my anxiety, terrible for my IBS and made me forget how to drive.
Luvox, I don't remember why but it was bad.
Dothep made me a zombie
Anafranil made my night sweats so bad I thought I was in menopause.

I'm terrified of Cymbalta.

I have been tossing up between trying Prozac or going back on Celexa.

So has anyone had any success with terrible anxiety and Prozac?

Or are the sides I got from Celexa pretty standard for SSRI's and I'll probably get them with any of them so just stick with what kind of worked?

(I know you guys can't tell me what to do, just after opinions because I'm terrible at making decisions and I'm scared that I'll still be reading about sides and effects in another year if I don't make a decision soon!)

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry to be so long winded! Thanks for reading!

Edited by Jessamine

1 hour ago, Jessamine said:

So has anyone had any success with terrible anxiety and Prozac?

For me, I just had to re-start the prozac for anger and irritability and becoming weepy again.  It makes me a little sleepy, which in some way could be helping anxiety, not sure though.

I do not get any extra anxiety taking prozac though.  I think for some people it can induce anxiety to some point.  But IMO I'd try it. 

It works differently for everyone, and you won't know how it works for you if you don't try it and give it a chance.  I hope you can find something soon to help!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

For me, I just had to re-start the prozac for anger and irritability and becoming weepy again.  It makes me a little sleepy, which in some way could be helping anxiety, not sure though.

I do not get any extra anxiety taking prozac though.  I think for some people it can induce anxiety to some point.  But IMO I'd try it. 

It works differently for everyone, and you won't know how it works for you if you don't try it and give it a chance.  I hope you can find something soon to help!

Thank you. I know I probably made little sense. I think I'm overthinking it because I'm nervous about starting something. I'm expecting it to potentially induce anxiety upon start up however long term I'd like to think it might help. And I've read that it is a little activating which is probably good because while I'm horrifically anxious all the time, I have no motivation to do much from the depression.

9 hours ago, notloki said:

Side effects are rarely standard.

This is true and probably why trying something new might make more sense. Thanks.