CrazyBoards.org

I was just prescribed Adderall yesterday on top of all the other meds I take (Trileptal, Zoloft, Klonopin & Latuda). I've taken it in the past for recreational purposes at 30mgs per time. My current prescription is 10mg twice a day, but me being me I just HAD to get a buzz once or twice before taking it normally. I chewed 30mg last night and felt great -- the normal for that dosage. This morning I crushed up 30mg and went to toss it back, but I spilled a bit so I took one more 10mg pill straight up (just swallowed it with water) to try and get as close to 30mg as possible. So, I'm on somewhere between 30-40mg and the buzz is great, but my focus is a bit off. Kinda fuzzy. I took a couple 1mg klonopins to try and even things out, but I'm wondering if I feel fuzzy because I took more than usual or because I took it as soon as I woke up and my body isn't used to a jump start so early. I would appreciate not getting a bunch of replies about not using meds recreationally or about me being some kind of junky. I'm not -- I just wanted to experience that old feeling once or twice again. Also, I will add that I haven't taken my other meds (Trileptal, Zoloft & Latuda) yet today. Any helpful answers would be much appreciated.

Edited by ReyesZ
Spelling error.

I'm not a doctor, but I think that 30-40 mg is within the normal dosing range for Adderall. You might want to contact your doctor or pharmacist to be sure. I've never taken Adderall, but I have taken Dexadrine and it did occasionally make me feel fuzzy around the edges.

You may not want to hear it, but abusing meds is bad. Your psychiatrist trusted you enough to be responsible, but now you've gone and destroyed that trust. If you keep seeking that "buzz" then you are going down the hill to complete abuse and I can guarantee you that no psychiatrist will prescribe you a stimulant ever again.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people abuse their meds because it makes it harder for all of us who are responsible to get our meds. Because of people like you, I have to get a paper prescription every month for my Ritalin and take it to the pharmacy and wait because stimulants cannot be called in because they are  Schedule II drugs. 

\end of lecture

12 minutes ago, jt07 said:

I'm not a doctor, but I think that 30-40 mg is within the normal dosing range for Adderall. You might want to contact your doctor or pharmacist to be sure. I've never taken Adderall, but I have taken Dexadrine and it did occasionally make me feel fuzzy around the edges.

You may not want to hear it, but abusing meds is bad. Your psychiatrist trusted you enough to be responsible, but now you've gone and destroyed that trust. If you keep seeking that "buzz" then you are going down the hill to complete abuse and I can guarantee you that no psychiatrist will prescribe you a stimulant ever again.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people abuse their meds because it makes it harder for all of us who are responsible to get our meds. Because of people like you, I have to get a paper prescription every month for my Ritalin and take it to the pharmacy and wait because stimulants cannot be called in because they are  Schedule II drugs. 

\end of lecture

Look, I don't abuse my meds normally. This was a one or two time thing. Because of people who DO constantly abuse, sell, etc, *I* have to get paper prescriptions for my adderall and klonopin as well. Your pet peeve is your own, but it has no merit here. I have BPD, OCD, PTSD, ADHD, Anxiety and am Bi-Polar. I am disabled due to all of my mental issues. I admit I made a bad decision, but I honestly don't need a lecture when I was seeking legitimate medical advise. Do NOT put me in some generalized group by saying "people like you." You know nothing about me.

I know that you admitted to abusing your Adderall. You may not want to admit it to yourself, but that is what you did.

We do not give out medical advice here. No one here is a doctor, and this is a peer support site. If you want medical advice, contact your doctor or pharmacist as I mentioned in my first post.

12 minutes ago, jt07 said:

I know that you admitted to abusing your Adderall. You may not want to admit it to yourself, but that is what you did.

We do not give out medical advice here. No one here is a doctor, and this is a peer support site. If you want medical advice, contact your doctor or pharmacist as I mentioned in my first post.

I admitted to it, yes, and I also admitted it was a one or two time thing. I even went on to admit it was a bad decision. I do not deny what I did, nor am I trying to lie to myself or anyone else. And if you want to get technical, then fine, I was seeking legitimate PEER advice. Either way, you don't know me past my ONE indiscretion. If you have no further helpful advice I'd prefer to cease speaking with you.

Edited by ReyesZ

39 minutes ago, jt07 said:

I gave you peer advice which I quoted above. Why do you keep saying I know nothing about you? Have I ever indicated a desire to know anything about you other than what you posted? It seems to be a filter of yours that somehow I judged you a bad person. No, I didn't. I just echoed what you admitted to and said why it was bad. That wasn't a judgment on you as a person.

Just now, jt07 said:

I gave you peer advice which I quoted above. Why do you keep saying I know nothing about you? Have I ever indicated a desire to know anything about you other than what you posted? It seems to be a filter of yours that somehow I judged you a bad person. No, I didn't. I just echoed what you admitted to and said why it was bad. That wasn't a judgment on you as a person.

It WAS a judgement -- a snap judgement. When you say things like "people like you" you are stereotyping the person you direct the comment to. I very much took offense.

I'm confused about what the question is.  Are you wondering if crushing and swallowing 30mg is too much at once?  Or is it something else?

if I'm guessing the question correctly, you probably won't like my response.  In short, because your script is for 10mg two times per day, anything over and above that is too much.  Period.

There are two red flags--the mechanism (which as you presumably know is designed to get you the impact even more quickly than a regular immediate release, which is already designed to be quite quick) and the amount (both that it is combined all together, which impacts your brain chemistry differently than intended, and the fact that it's more than what is prescribed).  

One thing to note, in addition to those concerns, is consistently taking more than prescribed will result in you running out of your script before the end of the 30 day period, and it'll be rather hard to justify a new script to a doctor.  Being off by one or two may be easier (though I'm not advocating lying to a doctor), but the longer you do it, the quicker you run out, the harder it becomes to stop (there is a reason these things are actually controlled), and the longer you are not going to be getting the effect that you are actually supposed to be getting.  Your prescribed amount is within the possible therapeutic level but not maxed out, so if you take it as prescribed and it's insufficient, you may get a higher dosage.  But if you continue with the current path and run out early, I don't see any chance of that happening.

my apologies if I missed your actual question.  That was the best I could come up with based on our post.  The short version is simply that particularly with all controlled substances (though really all medication), deviating from what's prescribed can really land you in a bad position quickly, including an inability to have it prescribed again.  I don't mind that in an accusatory fashion.  It's really just a fact.

Just now, jt07 said:

people like you = people who abuse their meds. That's all. And I stand by that statement. But you are free to read it anyway you wish.

ONCE AGAIN, it was a single

1 minute ago, dancesintherain said:

I'm confused about what the question is.  Are you wondering if crushing and swallowing 30mg is too much at once?  Or is it something else?

if I'm guessing the question correctly, you probably won't like my response.  In short, because your script is for 10mg two times per day, anything over and above that is too much.  Period.

There are two red flags--the mechanism (which as you presumably know is designed to get you the impact even more quickly than a regular immediate release, which is already designed to be quite quick) and the amount (both that it is combined all together, which impacts your brain chemistry differently than intended, and the fact that it's more than what is prescribed).  

One thing to note, in addition to those concerns, is consistently taking more than prescribed will result in you running out of your script before the end of the 30 day period, and it'll be rather hard to justify a new script to a doctor.  Being off by one or two may be easier (though I'm not advocating lying to a doctor), but the longer you do it, the quicker you run out, the harder it becomes to stop (there is a reason these things are actually controlled), and the longer you are not going to be getting the effect that you are actually supposed to be getting.  Your prescribed amount is within the possible therapeutic level but not maxed out, so if you take it as prescribed and it's insufficient, you may get a higher dosage.  But if you continue with the current path and run out early, I don't see any chance of that happening.

my apologies if I missed your actual question.  That was the best I could come up with based on our post.  The short version is simply that particularly with all controlled substances (though really all medication), deviating from what's prescribed can really land you in a bad position quickly, including an inability to have it prescribed again.  I don't mind that in an accusatory fashion.  It's really just a fact.

The overall question was why I was feeling fuzzy. A) More than usual or B) So early in the morning it sort of jolted my system. I've already admitted I made a bad decision -- I was hoping to move past that.

Got it.  Without dropping the concerns above (only because doing it once or twice can frequently trigger a desire to do it later, even if not consecutively, so it's worth keeping in mind), I'd say that either A or B are possible and there might be other options.  Given that you should be taking 10mg for now, jumping to 30mg (all crushed in particular) is a big leap.  And given you weren't taking it before, going from 0 mg to 30mg crushed can be a huge leap (I think half of the daily maximum when it's not crushed, but not 100% sure).  But that doesn't eliminate the possibility that morning (along with likely not having much food in you, possibly being a little dehydrated, etc.) is impacting things.

short recommendation is probably what's obvious from jt and my responses--really really important to switch back to the prescribed 10mg and don't crush it.

A = more than usual, B=changing how quickly med is absorbed by crushing it, and C= followed with clonazepam are all things that likely have contributed to feeling fuzzy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wooster said:

A = more than usual, B=changing how quickly med is absorbed by crushing it, and C= followed with clonazepam are all things that likely have contributed to feeling fuzzy.

Thank you for your answer and lack of judgement. :) It makes sense.

4 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

Got it.  Without dropping the concerns above (only because doing it once or twice can frequently trigger a desire to do it later, even if not consecutively, so it's worth keeping in mind), I'd say that either A or B are possible and there might be other options.  Given that you should be taking 10mg for now, jumping to 30mg (all crushed in particular) is a big leap.  And given you weren't taking it before, going from 0 mg to 30mg crushed can be a huge leap (I think half of the daily maximum when it's not crushed, but not 100% sure).  But that doesn't eliminate the possibility that morning (along with likely not having much food in you, possibly being a little dehydrated, etc.) is impacting things.

short recommendation is probably what's obvious from jt and my responses--really really important to switch back to the prescribed 10mg and don't crush it.

Understandable. I appreciate the way you worded things. Less finger pointy and more friendly advice. :)

20 minutes ago, jt07 said:

people like you = people who abuse their meds. That's all. And I stand by that statement. But you are free to read it anyway you wish.

I was going to make another pointed reply, but it got jumbled when I was replying to someone else. I've since changed my mind. You are obviously trying to goad me into some kind of defensive argument. I appreciate your first helpful comment before you dug into me. Have a wonderful day.

Edited by ReyesZ

• 1 month later...

I take 80mg/day, some people take 120mg/day or more, but these are fringe cases - most doctors won't prescribe more than the unofficial limit of 60mg/day, and most people don't need a high dosage for a good response. What OP did was just drug abuse though, and particularly so in that he abused the drug immediately after it was prescribed.