CrazyBoards.org

what do you do when you are feeling down?

For me it doesn't happen often, but occasionally i have crushing lows, which often get made worse by how my family reacts with me to what caused my crushing low in the first place. 

Its like i try to get ahead in life, then it seems like im getting there, and then something happens and life is worse.

Always waiting to reach a destination i can never quite reach.

I mostly try to pass the time with something different, if i get too bored of TV i switch to a movie or play games.

Sometimes its just muddling through, but staying busy keeps my mind from wandering too much a lot easier than if im bored.

Being on-line helps me ... on this site, emailing people, surfing the web.  I also do a word-find book and that can take up lots of time ... time goes so fast for me when doing them.  Music too sometimes.  TV can get boring but if I have on shows that I am really interested in, then watching it is something that breaks up the day.

My mind will occasionally wander doing any of theses things, but without them my mind would wander way too much.

For me, it somewhat depends on how low I am.  (Not to nitpick.)

when I'm beyond the point of being able to focus (meaning some of my usual diversions like writing here, reading news articles via Facebook, reading posts here, etc. are too much), I'm usually left to music, movies, and coloring.  I haven't been using movies much recently because of energy required to link laptop to tv (which really I should just leave permanently connected).  I've found comedians particularly good because they are shorter than movies usually and because sometimes the laughter helps.  Not always, but occasionally.

if I'm in a bit better space, I try the things above or some mindfulness meditations (guided and body-oriented rather than breath-oriented because I keep spiraling downwards when in breath-mode).  Those are usually lying on my bed because if I'm really lucky, they'll calm my brain enough that I can then try to sleep even if I hadn't been able to earlier.

Distraction too mostly. I play computer games like World of Warcraft too often and that gets me out of my head. If it wasn't for the Asperger's diagnosis I would say I am the way I am because of it, stuck in a hole, unable to find a way out. But I know if it wasn't computer games it would have been something else, but maybe something I could have made a career out of. 

Anyway, I also go to a peer support group and that forces me to be social and being around positive people can help alleviate depression before it can creep in.

Music music music!

The trick is to make it upbeat enough but not off-putting. A friend of mine listens to Fleetwood Mac. I like The Best of Bill Frisell: Folk Songs, I've listened to that a zillion times. Stevie Wonder, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Neko Case... especially if you can sing to any of it, or if it makes you want to move around (or even... dance??).

• 2 weeks later...

When I am feeling truly crushed I listen to music all day. Mainly opera for dramatic flair. Some sacred choral music, gregorian chants etc. for poignancy. I also sleep a shitload even when a little depressed. Usually 16-20 hours a day, even if I'm trying really hard not to do it. If I just feel blegh I spend more time watching TV, surfing the net, procrastinating, video games, playing with my dog. If I'm really down I don't like to be parted from my dog at all and I avoid going anywhere I can't bring him.

Well, I crash on my sofa or bed (usually still in pajamas, cause I can't be bothered to change). I surf the web, play computer games. Usually can't focus on reading (which I love!) so half-heartedly watch telly. I eat cookie dough (the safe kind) and all kinds of appealing junk food - not advocating this by the way! I sleep A LOT. Curled under a stack of blankets and pillows. When I can muster the strength I take a long soak in the bath. I like a REALLY hot bath. Getting clean usually makes you feel a bit better, but it can be extremely hard to accomplish when you're down. Then amongst other things, I try not to think of all the housework piling up and the upkeep of my pets which seems very overwhelming. :P