CrazyBoards.org

is it me or do we get brilliance for our insanity?

It seems to me like we have higher intellect than normal, perhaps as some sort of bonus for having to deal with our insanity? 

I tend to think most people that are completely sane are probably pretty dumb too, while we may have insanity, but we also have brilliance.

• Like 1

I think "we" (who have MI) might have better insight into things than other people, based on our journeys through MI (mental illness).

I don't think all the sane people (I am assuming the people without MI) are "pretty dumb."  Although I guess that depends on your definition of "pretty dumb."  Some people are not the brightest bulb in the pack, but overall I don't think all people are dumb. 

Brilliance? Don't think so. I do think that most of us have a much more realistic sense of what is going on in the world, and can see society for what it really is, because we don't exactly have a choice to be oblivious, we are just one of the groups that society doesn't appreciate much, or understand well. 

I don't think so either. I agree with HB in that I think depressed people are less likely to self-delude ourselves that everything is peachy when a whole bunch of crap in the world is clearly not ok. You don't have to be a pessimist, just a realist, to see it.

Some people want to believe there is a price for above average intelligence and that price is mental illness. It sounds like sour grapes to me, possessing less than great intelligence  of course they want to see some downfall to being very intelligent. We tend to remember the brilliant ones that went crazy like Tesla and forget about the ones who were merely eccentric, like Einstein. 

Illnesses like psychosis and depression would seem to interfere with intelligence and decrease it.

Edited by notloki